GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
7800X3D here. AM5 is gonna be used until I think something like 2027.

Yeah saw that. "Stockpiling Parts" as in - purchasing components when they're on sale, ahead of eventually building a new system. Probably not the right word there.

==

What's the deal with RAM speeds and timings for CPU performance on AM5? I'm seeing that AMD made some changes to what used to be important relationships on AM4, but between the AMD changes and the DDR4-to-DDR5 changes I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it atm

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Yeah saw that. "Stockpiling Parts" as in - purchasing components when they're on sale, ahead of eventually building a new system. Probably not the right word there.

==

What's the deal with RAM speeds and timings for CPU performance on AM5? I'm seeing that AMD made some changes to what used to be important relationships on AM4, but between the AMD changes and the DDR4-to-DDR5 changes I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it atm
1717780212072.png

I picked my ram based on what other people were saying worked. I think if you go too high on the timing it can cause issues with stability. You also definitely have to go into the bios and enable XMP and make sure the ram settings are correct. It defaults to a much lower speed.

I have DDR5-6000 CL30 paired with my cpu.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion

==

Stockpile cash, not parts. By the time you get around to using the parts you've been stockpiling, half of them will be obsolete. Buy all at once and buy the nicest stuff you can, enjoy it for a while, save up for the next upgrade(s).

I'm not smart but AMD builds seem to really like fast RAM. But they're also picky/sensitive, so make sure what you get is on the compatibility list.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Also on the 7800X3D.

Like 981 said, AMD likes fast ram. Using 6000 stuff as well.