GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see your PC's

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Just took the first steps to upgrade my home network to 10Gbe. Starting with 2 1TB nvme drives to throw in my NAS as cache drives. This should let me saturate the connection writing to the server, although reading will still be slower if it's coming from the main array that is backed by spinners. Next up is gonna be a dual port 10Gbe card in there as well. One will go to whatever switch I get as an uplink, the other will be hooked right up to my hypervisor so any traffic between the two doesn't take resources from the main network. I'll be getting a new hypervisor following that, looking at the MinisForum MS-01. Comes with a 13th gen i9, support for 96GB of RAM, 3 nvme slots, 2 sfp+ network ports, and 2 2.5Gbe rj45 ports. After that will be a 10Gbe switch followed by a 10Gbe capable router. All my ethernet cables (existing and future) are cat 6a which will support 10GBE up to I believe 100 meters. For the foreseeable future though i'm guessing most of my devices will be running 2.5g with the exception of the hypervisor and NAS. Currently I only have 500mbps fiber, but they have 2 gig available, and hopefully eventually 10 gig so i'll be able to download all of the linux isos

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Lots of cool builds on here, it was fun browsing through this tread!

I just finished changing cases and making a few spec tweaks and figured I'd post my setup too.

I'm a big fan of small form factor stuff and recently changed from a Louqe Ghost S1 to a SSUPD Meshroom S case. The Ghost is nice and very small but really loud under load and there was no real room for extra drives, fans, etc. This was my first experience using an AIO and admittedly I was a sucker for the screen on the Kraken but it does keep things nice and cool.

I mostly use the computer for gaming but also design work and general web browsing. The specs are pretty modest but it works well for my needs right now. Here are the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard: ASRock B550M ITX
Memory: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600mhz
Cooling: NZXT Kraken Elite 240 (w/ Noctua fans set to exhaust), singe top exhaust fan
GPU: Powercolor AMD RX6700XT (deshrouded w/ Noctua fans)
PSU: Corsair SF600
Boot drive: 500GB Samsung 980
Storage drives: x2 1TB Samsung 870

Added the Hot Wheels Mk7 in there for better performance
PXL_20240313_203345082.jpg

I tried my best to cable manage but It's pretty tight in there without custom cables. The 6700XT benefited from the new fans but now all I hear is the horrible coil whine :ROFLMAO:
PXL_20240316_192003899.jpg

I couldn't find an original tempered glass side panel anywhere and ended up with a custom acrylic one from Etsy
PXL_20240319_184156645.jpg

The Meshroom is a good balance of size and interior volume/customizability. Stuff for scale:
PXL_20240313_203412673.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion

I just finished changing cases and making a few spec tweaks and figured I'd post my setup too.

I'm a big fan of small form factor stuff and recently changed from a Louqe Ghost S1 to a SSUPD Meshroom S case. The Ghost is nice and very small but really loud under load and there was no real room for extra drives, fans, etc. This was my first experience using an AIO and admittedly I was a sucker for the screen on the Kraken but it does keep things nice and cool.

I mostly use the computer for gaming but also design work and general web browsing. The specs are pretty modest but it works well for my needs right now. Here are the specs:

Cooling: NZXT Kraken Elite 240 (w/ Noctua fans set to exhaust), singe top exhaust fan

View attachment 301588

I tried my best to cable manage but It's pretty tight in there without custom cables. The 6700XT benefited from the new fans but now all I hear is the horrible coil whine :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 301587

I couldn't find an original tempered glass side panel anywhere and ended up with a custom acrylic one from Etsy
View attachment 301589

The Meshroom is a good balance of size and interior volume/customizability. Stuff for scale:
View attachment 301590
Dang that build is compact, regarding your coilwhine try changing clocks and undervolt a bit to see if it helps or the psu might be the cause also.

Almost all my older cards had some coilwhine in high fps and so did my rx6800 at first but with my go to oc/uv profile now almost 3 years old I dont hear a thing.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Dang that build is compact, regarding your coilwhine try changing clocks and undervolt a bit to see if it helps or the psu might be the cause also.

Almost all my older cards had some coilwhine in high fps and so did my rx6800 at first but with my go to oc/uv profile now almost 3 years old I dont hear a thing.

Good idea on the GPU adjustments. I just did a quicky undervolt and overclock using the auto-generated values in the Adrenalin software and that quieted things down significantly. Still room to experiment but a good start!

avenali312

Autocross Champion

View attachment 301588

View attachment 301587

View attachment 301589

View attachment 301590
Very cool!

Keep an eye on that Kraken. I'm sure they've continuously gotten better, and this was a few years ago, but I had an X63 that sprung a leak on the radiator. Not as big of a deal when mounted vertical like yours, but it was a pretty big deal on my top-mounted one haha. Nothing damaged other than the radiator, and they warrantied me a new one right away.

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!

View attachment 301588

View attachment 301587

View attachment 301589

View attachment 301590

Whoa, super cool case. I'm really into cases with unique layouts and that one is very much on my radar now. Nice build!

smanierre

Autocross Champion

View attachment 301588

View attachment 301587

View attachment 301589

View attachment 301590
How's the framework treating you? I'm thinking of getting one as my next (and hopefully last) laptop

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
Very cool!

Keep an eye on that Kraken. I'm sure they've continuously gotten better, and this was a few years ago, but I had an X63 that sprung a leak on the radiator. Not as big of a deal when mounted vertical like yours, but it was a pretty big deal on my top-mounted one haha. Nothing damaged other than the radiator, and they warrantied me a new one right away.

Haha, I was definitely a little nervous switching to water cooling and will definitely keep on eye on things. It felt pretty robust and I have to assume they account for the average customer trying to shove these things into all kinds of cases. Fingers crossed!

Whoa, super cool case. I'm really into cases with unique layouts and that one is very much on my radar now. Nice build!

Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty decent case for the price . Maybe not the most amazing quality but it's versatile and I enjoyed building in it.

How's the framework treating you? I'm thinking of getting one as my next (and hopefully last) laptop

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Framework and it serves my needs well.

Of course, it will depend on your past laptop experience and expectations but I think as long as you know the shortcomings and compromises it's a solid choice. My last five laptops were made my Apple and operating systems aside I'm glad I made the switch to the Framework. What you give up in build quality, refinement, and performance per watt, you make up in freedom and flexibility and it's sometimes difficult to put a price on that.

If you want to read a wall of text here are some thoughts from my last 5 months with it:

The Good:
-I feel respected as a customer and love having control over the configuration, customization, and repair of the device I paid for.
-It's great knowing I can easily (and relatively cheaply) replace a broken part or even upgrade in the future.
-I got the DIY version and really appreciated being able to chose exactly the SSD, RAM, and ports I wanted.
-Battery life with the Ryzen 7 has been great. I get between 5-9 hours doing medium to light duty work (web browsing, docs, YouTube, design stuff).
-I love the matte screen - it doesn't look premium but there's less glare and fewer fingerprints.
-Performance is solid -I don't do anything crazy but it handles my work quickly with no fuss. Thermals are pretty good too.
-I ended up liking the 3:2 aspect ratio much more than I thought.
-The webcam and mic have been solid and I like the physical slides to turn them off.
-The fingerprint reader works well.
-I've had zero issues with any of the I/O or expansion cards and charging works well.
-I really like the keyboard. There's a good amount of travel (at least compared to some of the really thin laptops) with two backlight settings.

Meh:
-Some parts like the hinges, expansion card fitment, keyboard backlighting feel unrefined.
-The build quality is fine and nothing more.
-The trackpad is ok and on par with a lot of newish Windows laptops but could be so much better. It's glass which is nice but still a diving board design and occasionally struggles with precision.
-The display doesn't get dim enough for my liking.
-The modular ports doesn't excite me all that much but it's nice to have the flexibility (although the AMD option does limit some ports in some positions)
-The design isn't interesting or inspired but it's inoffensive.
-The little fan curve is annoying and at times will ramp up quickly in a short burst. If it's on during a sustained load it's noticeable but not that annoying.
-Support was friendly and responsive but the initial wait time was too long (but that may have improved by now).
-I feel confident that Framework will keep replacement parts around for a long time but don't have high hopes for that many improved parts (displays, trackpad, speakers, etc) outside of mainboard upgrades.

Cons:
-The speakers are bad. They typically get loud enough (if you're on a hard surface) but can get buzzy and just sound so cheap. Some software trickery helps but only to a point. This is one area where I really miss the MacBook.
-It's not a cheap laptop but Framework is a tiny company compared to the likes of Dell, HP, etc so that's not too surprising. I think it's worth the premium to support the company.
-The screws for the bottom case are pretty soft and easy to strip. I over tightened one and now need to replace it (at least it's easy to do!)
-I've been chasing down some random crashes that happen from time to time. Hard to say if it's a hardware issue but certainly frustrating.

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Haha, I was definitely a little nervous switching to water cooling and will definitely keep on eye on things. It felt pretty robust and I have to assume they account for the average customer trying to shove these things into all kinds of cases. Fingers crossed!

Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty decent case for the price . Maybe not the most amazing quality but it's versatile and I enjoyed building in it.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Framework and it serves my needs well.

Of course, it will depend on your past laptop experience and expectations but I think as long as you know the shortcomings and compromises it's a solid choice. My last five laptops were made my Apple and operating systems aside I'm glad I made the switch to the Framework. What you give up in build quality, refinement, and performance per watt, you make up in freedom and flexibility and it's sometimes difficult to put a price on that.

If you want to read a wall of text here are some thoughts from my last 5 months with it:

The Good:
-I feel respected as a customer and love having control over the configuration, customization, and repair of the device I paid for.
-It's great knowing I can easily (and relatively cheaply) replace a broken part or even upgrade in the future.
-I got the DIY version and really appreciated being able to chose exactly the SSD, RAM, and ports I wanted.
-Battery life with the Ryzen 7 has been great. I get between 5-9 hours doing medium to light duty work (web browsing, docs, YouTube, design stuff).
-I love the matte screen - it doesn't look premium but there's less glare and fewer fingerprints.
-Performance is solid -I don't do anything crazy but it handles my work quickly with no fuss. Thermals are pretty good too.
-I ended up liking the 3:2 aspect ratio much more than I thought.
-The webcam and mic have been solid and I like the physical slides to turn them off.
-The fingerprint reader works well.
-I've had zero issues with any of the I/O or expansion cards and charging works well.
-I really like the keyboard. There's a good amount of travel (at least compared to some of the really thin laptops) with two backlight settings.

Meh:
-Some parts like the hinges, expansion card fitment, keyboard backlighting feel unrefined.
-The build quality is fine and nothing more.
-The trackpad is ok and on par with a lot of newish Windows laptops but could be so much better. It's glass which is nice but still a diving board design and occasionally struggles with precision.
-The display doesn't get dim enough for my liking.
-The modular ports doesn't excite me all that much but it's nice to have the flexibility (although the AMD option does limit some ports in some positions)
-The design isn't interesting or inspired but it's inoffensive.
-The little fan curve is annoying and at times will ramp up quickly in a short burst. If it's on during a sustained load it's noticeable but not that annoying.
-Support was friendly and responsive but the initial wait time was too long (but that may have improved by now).
-I feel confident that Framework will keep replacement parts around for a long time but don't have high hopes for that many improved parts (displays, trackpad, speakers, etc) outside of mainboard upgrades.

Cons:
-The speakers are bad. They typically get loud enough (if you're on a hard surface) but can get buzzy and just sound so cheap. Some software trickery helps but only to a point. This is one area where I really miss the MacBook.
-It's not a cheap laptop but Framework is a tiny company compared to the likes of Dell, HP, etc so that's not too surprising. I think it's worth the premium to support the company.
-The screws for the bottom case are pretty soft and easy to strip. I over tightened one and now need to replace it (at least it's easy to do!)
-I've been chasing down some random crashes that happen from time to time. Hard to say if it's a hardware issue but certainly frustrating.
I appreciate the thorough writeup! I currently have a thinkpad for my personal laptop, and a Mac for work. I hate the Mac, (OS and just the feel of it), so I think i'll be ok with the quality of the framework. Are you running windows on it or linux? I'm planning on linux if I get one, but am curious about the hardware compatibility.

Sub-to-Dub

Drag Racing Champion
I appreciate the thorough writeup! I currently have a thinkpad for my personal laptop, and a Mac for work. I hate the Mac, (OS and just the feel of it), so I think i'll be ok with the quality of the framework. Are you running windows on it or linux? I'm planning on linux if I get one, but am curious about the hardware compatibility.

Running Windows 11. I haven't used Windows intimately in years but in my head it was kinda the OS that got out of your way and gave you more control but it just feels more spammy than I expected with Copilot, Edge, widgets, etc.

If I didn't need it for a few select apps I'd definitely give Linux a try. Framework's support for Linux seems pretty decent (at least comparted to other manufactures) and I suspect there's a strong community around it.