GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Malaysian Flight MH370

Bender1

Banned
Most interesting comment ive heard so far...

They can track a cellphone to its exact position but not an airplane? Wtf, priorities are skewed in this world.

Only if you are on network.

Well the families of some of the passengers on board claim that some of them were able to call the passengers after the plane was said to gone down. It only rang though.

Phones will ring and ring and ring and ring if the network provider can't find you. In the developed world they default to your voice mail after X rings because they know that if they can't find you then your phone is off.

In the developing world they will keep searching as they don't know if you are JUST out of range (and may walk into it)

based on everything I've heard and some of which has been posted in this thread, that plane is somewhere - safely - it was not crashed into anything to make an "attack", but its definitely chillin' in a hanger or some place some where, from the sounds of it. They did not crash it, based on what little we do know. But the motive and "what next steps" part is really the confusing thing here.

Nah its on the bottom of the indian ocean.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Well the families of some of the passengers on board claim that some of them were able to call the passengers after the plane was said to gone down. It only rang though.

Families that don't understand how cell phones work and it would do the same thing even if the phone was dead.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

wut.

you can call a number, that doesn't mean the cell phone is on or taking calls, etc, etc.

will airplane repo on discovery channel find it next season?

would be interesting.

cereal?

I think they said one of the two pilots is probably the "actor" / bad guy here and was fighting with the other one or some shit.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Im not sure if you guys know this or not... I read a newspaper from HK saying that the Malaysia gov. confirmed that the plane was hijacked but they said it was miss earlier because some kind of unknown reason. And the plane didnt continue flying on their orginal route, instead the plane was headed to India Ocean from the last contacted place.

I mean the Malasia gov. knew it was hijack from the beginning and they decided to tell the press that the plane was missing, and now the whole world are looking for the plane, then they said it was hijacked....

09vdubgti

Banned
Only if you are on network.

Phones will ring and ring and ring and ring if the network provider can't find you. In the developed world they default to your voice mail after X rings because they know that if they can't find you then your phone is off.

In the developing world they will keep searching as they don't know if you are JUST out of range (and may walk into it)

ahhh...

I was just thinking, couldn't they use their phones for coordinates?

Bender1

Banned
cereal?

I think they said one of the two pilots is probably the "actor" / bad guy here and was fighting with the other one or some shit.

Loads of things could go wrong that could result in this happening organically. I do think there is a bad actor and but I also think they probably didnt have a full plan. I have some theories though that I will share when I get home.

A question to anyone that knows 777s - can you hack the autopilot while it is on the ground? Think about it...

09vdubgti

Banned
There used to be a pilot on here before who flew for Delta. Forgot his username though, would be nice to hear a pilots view.

I also wouldnt be concerned over the pilot having a simulator at home.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Because it continued to fly 7hrs after separate tracking systems were disabled.

Wouldn't a 777 cause serious air turbulence especially if it was in the air that long?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I also wouldnt be concerned over the pilot having a simulator at home.

Right, this is just an asinine thing for news outlets to bring up. It's not going to matter. Flying airliners isn't like riding motorcycles where the rider needs to know the thing well to ride it well.

Just news outlets being naive again.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Wouldn't a 777 cause serious air turbulence especially if it was in the air that long?

What would that have to do with anything? You can't track air turbulence remotely, nor would anyone given the thousands of planes up in the sky at any given moment. Not sure I understood where you're coming from?

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I am more curious if it did land somewhere, its gotta be much easier to narrow down the location based on that assumption and do some satellite imaging to take a look see. You need a decent size runway to land a plane like that, even if its a temperary run way. And then hiding something that big will not be at all easy. I know a whole lot of the effort is focusing on the wreckage in the ocean, but I'd think looking at the ping location, and tasking image satellites to look at places near those where its possible to land something like that would be a priority...

emk6

Ready to race!
If it were at the bottom of the ocean, there should be some debris floating. Whether the plane went down intact or in pieces. The FDR will ping and all these ships with advanced sonar technology can't hear it or find it?

I would first look to see where it last transmitted and start from there.

If the plan was landed somewhere on a remote air strip, I find it hard to believe this thing can fly under the radar without anyone noticing. That's a huge plane with twin Rolls Royce engines the emit a lot of noise when flying at low alttitude.

Someone knows something and isn't speaking up.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What I don't get it is... why go through all that trouble and turn shit off in order to disappear?! If the pilot was in fact in on it, why wouldn't he fly the damn plane into a populated building... that would make sense... and not go into the middle of the ocean, turn radar off, and fly for 4 hrs.

This is fascinating though.

emk6

Ready to race!
A question to anyone that knows 777s - can you hack the autopilot while it is on the ground? Think about it...

I wouldn't be surprised if you can. On the flight manifest, they listed that one of the passengers was a flight engineer. Whether he had his "laptop/smartphone" in his possession at the time does bring up a red flag.