GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTD

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Whoa there guy. In Europe the GTD is LESS than the GTI. And it gets 40% better mileage, not just slightly. And diesel fuel costs about the same as premium, which the GTI requires.

Even if it did cost $1k-$2k more than the GTI here in the States, at 15k miles/year it would take just 2-3 years to make that cost up. And the diesels hold their value better, are generally more reliable, and 280lb-ft of torque is no joke.

This MK7 GTD with 184hp/280lb-ft and 3,034 lbs (for the 5-door!!) will likely perform very similar to a stock MK6 GTI but of course return 40%+ better mileage.

TDI here already costs as much as GTI, there is no way GTD will cost less than a regular TDI... unless they ditch the regular TDI entirely and put the GTD in its place. No reason to compare Mk6 GTI to Mk7 GTD.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think they priced the GTI significantly cheaper in US than anywhere else in the world(also I think a lot more barebone. In Canada I think the TDI is cheaper than the GTI....

C4L

Banned
I am surprise you say diesel is cheaper C4L, where I am in MI the diesel are more expensive than premium most of the time. Across the border in Canada the diesel is about the price of regular...

I never said diesel is cheaper. I said it is about the same. This being +/- 5 cents maybe.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, the car makes sense in Europe. Not so much here. On this one I actually agree with the decision to not bring it.

If anything they should bring the little 1.6 Bluemotion - a Golf with better mileage than a Prius = win.

C4L

Banned
TDI here already costs as much as GTI, there is no way GTD will cost less than a regular TDI... unless they ditch the regular TDI entirely and put the GTD in its place. No reason to compare Mk6 GTI to Mk7 GTD.

The Mk7 is cheaper than the MK6 throughout the lineup. In the rest of the World, the GTD is less expensive than the GTI. It will likely be the same here.

And we all own MK6 GTI's so that is why I compared them. If you are satisfied with your MK6 GTI, then you will be even moreso with the MK7 GTD.

C4L

Banned
I think they priced the GTI significantly cheaper in US than anywhere else in the world(also I think a lot more barebone. In Canada I think the TDI is cheaper than the GTI....

US-Spec cars actually have a lot more standard equipment than in Europe. This is true with most cars/models/makes.

Our cars actually undercut Euro/GBP pricing WITH more standard equipment.

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!

I paid 40 000$ for a Manual 2013 GTI 4-doors / Xenon-LED / Sunroof / Plaid seat and 18'' wheels...

Rape.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
If the GTD were sold Stateside it would NOT list for more than $25k. It should hit 60mph in 6.8 seconds or less and return 35/45mpg or better.

So the regular TDI is going to see a HUGE price reduction? Color me skeptical.

Sounds good for us though... base golf gets lighter and upgraded to 1.8T, TDI gets lighter and more powerful and priced like a Mk6 Golf, GTD comes in priced same as GTI.

I think that is fantasy land but we'll see soon enough.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
US-Spec cars actually have a lot more standard equipment than in Europe. This is true with most cars/models/makes.

Our cars actually undercut Euro/GBP pricing WITH more standard equipment.

I don't know about more standard equipment though:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-gti-vi/which-model/compare/drivers-assistance/

Looking at that, big standout that the UK car misses, cruise control. Everything else seems pretty much the same as our base car here, except they get dual zone climate and we don't...

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
A few things is going for cheaper regular Golf and TDI, the base MK7 car now I believe will get the Jetta rear suspension with twist beam...MQB is supposed to lower the price in general...

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
In most countries in Europe annual car tax rates are based on co2 emissions. Diesels are far cleaner to the environment and the car tax for a gtd is a lot less than a gti. That is the main reason for this car there. Higher mpg is the other. It's why 75% of cars sold now are diesels. Comes down to the road tax costs.