GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTD

C4L

Banned
So the regular TDI is going to see a HUGE price reduction? Color me skeptical.

Sounds good for us though... base golf gets lighter and upgraded to 1.8T, TDI gets lighter and more powerful and priced like a Mk6 Golf, GTD comes in priced same as GTI.

I think that is fantasy land but we'll see soon enough.

It is the reality in every other market around the World. That is all I am saying.

C4L

Banned

C4L

Banned
A few things is going for cheaper regular Golf and TDI, the base MK7 car now I believe will get the Jetta rear suspension with twist beam...MQB is supposed to lower the price in general...

Not true. The Mk7 Golf is already for sale in other markets. NO models has a fixed-rear.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
It is the reality in every other market around the World. That is all I am saying.

They have lots more options but less standard equipment.

Both correct, but you seem to be implying that what happens in other markets will happen here which is not the case.

They aren't going to replace the TDI with the GTD, nor are they going to reduce the price of the TDI by 20% and put the GTD in at GTI prices. Not in this country.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Not true. The Mk7 Golf is already for sale in other markets. NO models has a fixed-rear.

Nope....but lower end models have a shady setup

First Look Rear Suspension.jpg

C4L

Banned
Both correct, but you seem to be implying that what happens in other markets will happen here which is not the case.

They aren't going to replace the TDI with the GTD, nor are they going to reduce the price of the TDI by 20% and put the GTD in at GTI prices. Not in this country.

This has been the case for a very long time now. I can't see why it would be different.

The largest difference is the pricing in the TDI model here in the US. It is grossly over-priced. In other markets it is only a very small increase in price.

I think the TDI WOULD come down in price to around $22k with the GTI/GTD at $25k. And the Base Golf 1.8T from $18k-$20k.

I think that seems reasonable but we will have to wait and see.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I guess that is true, they could hugely downgrade the TDI to be closer to a base Golf with the 2.0TDI and it could then be priced much lower. I had not considered that option - is the base TDI more base elsewhere?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
sdfas.JPG

C4L

Banned
I guess that is true, they could hugely downgrade the TDI to be closer to a base Golf with the 2.0TDI and it could then be priced much lower. I had not considered that option - is the base TDI more base elsewhere?

Yes. It is the same as a Golf with a different motor. When you choose the 'trim' you then specify the motor of choice. The car remains the same in each given 'trim' but the motor and transmission can be independently selected.

For some reason the TDI has become a 'trim' level in North America and not simply and alternative engine choice.

In the UK the 2.0TDI is simply a 500 GBP option over the 1.8T.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I don't even know what that is showing...:confused:

Volkswagen's inability to meet US's demanding emission standards. The EA288 engine is hardly a 2015 MY plan. Noted as POSSIBLE

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
They have lots more options but less standard equipment.

Less what? Going through the whole list, we get standard 18, they get 17, they get standard dual zone, we don't get that at all(they do in Canada, standard also). Our cruise control is standard, they are optional. Most of the other stuff is a wash....

C4L

Banned
Less what? Going through the whole list, we get standard 18, they get 17, they get standard dual zone, we don't get that at all(they do in Canada, standard also). Our cruise control is standard, they are optional. Most of the other stuff is a wash....

They also have an upcharge for metallic paint, no std. heated seats/mirrors/washer nozels, and the smaller wheels and no cruise control.

The car, in the UK, is priced $1,500 more and has at least $1,000 difference in standard equipment.

The GTI price in the UK, when using a direct currency conversion, would cost about $35k USD.

Huge disparity in pricing.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Bluetooth is a paid optional extra even on the higher spec radio.
Manual cars rarely get cruise control or even have it available