GOLFMKV

Movie and TV Recommendations

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Watched Bloodsport last night... YOU ARE NOT A TANAKA

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Controversial and unpopular opinion: Star Wars is the most overrated and boring franchise in history.

As a huge Star Wars fan, I wholeheartedly agree. There has been some great content recently (The Clone Wars series, Rogue One), but a huge chunk of it, honestly probably the majority lately, has just felt like a lazy cash grab.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Controversial and unpopular opinion: Star Wars is the most overrated and boring franchise in history.
It's certainly up there, they're squeezing the turnip awfully tight recently, and it's a small, pale turnip to begin with. I'd say Star Trek is worse, outside of one earworm, I remember nearly nothing of the entire catalog.

torga

Autocross Champion
Controversial and unpopular opinion (at least it seems like it these days): movies are 100000000000000000000x better than tv shows

Not that I disagree with you. But there are certainly masterpiece TV shows and garbage movies. Just as the other way around. If we compare the best movies against the best TV shows, well that's just down to personal preference. Of course, I've got cinematic-styled TV miniseries in my head when I compare to movies. I'm not trying to say that Friends is better than The Godfather :ROFLMAO:

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Not that I disagree with you. But there are certainly masterpiece TV shows and garbage movies. Just as the other way around. If we compare the best movies against the best TV shows, well that's just down to personal preference. Of course, I've got cinematic-styled TV miniseries in my head when I compare to movies. I'm not trying to say that Friends is better than The Godfather :ROFLMAO:

Of course. The first season of True Detective is one of, if not the, greatest season of TV of all time. Not denying that there aren't incredible TV shows. I just think it takes a little more skill to create an entire story within two or three hours with a movie vs ten or twelve hours with a show.

OK, but right up until streaming, there were at least 10x more movies than TV shows.

To me, all of these new shows are a bad thing. Most people aren't actually "watching" all of these shows. They're using it as background noise while they work, or play on their phone, or cook dinner, or whatever else.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
To me, all of these new shows are a bad thing. Most people aren't actually "watching" all of these shows. They're using it as background noise while they work, or play on their phone, or cook dinner, or whatever else.
That's my mom and sister. They always have a tv show on, but then they also always have their phones out to play candy crush or scroll tiktok.

I'll never be able to get them to watch Dark. They refuse to read subtitles and they refuse to watch anything that makes you think.

torga

Autocross Champion
Of course. The first season of True Detective is one of, if not the, greatest season of TV of all time. Not denying that there aren't incredible TV shows. I just think it takes a little more skill to create an entire story within two or three hours with a movie vs ten or twelve hours with a show.
Fair point, fair point. Shows are great when ideas are worth expanding. I can think of some movies that would've been better as a show (breakneck pacing, cramming way too much into 2 hours), and I can think of some shows that would've been better as a movie (meandering, crawling pace for several episodes before anything actually happens or any information gets dropped). The Hobbit comes to mind -- why they decided to make that a trilogy is beyond me (actually, it isn't, the answer was $$$). The Hobbit could have easily been a single movie.

Yeah, when I sit down to watch something, I'm watching it. If I get a text that needs a response, I pause the shit. I don't understand this multi-tasking thing that some people do.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Watching something is like a ritual at my house. Lights are off, room is as dark as possible, phone is screen down on the floor, and no pausing unless you're absolutely going to piss your pants. I try and treat it the same way as I do at the theater, and I haven't gotten up to pee in a theater in years lol.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
First episode of Moon Knight was pretty good.
I thought you had only watched one episode, not that there was only 1 episode out so far. I forgot disney does their shit weekly. I was ready to binge last night.

torga

Autocross Champion

That was pretty damn good. Lonely Island level, imo. SNL still manages to have a great skit every now and then. Weekend Update is consistently solid.