GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My family thinks Im crazy....

AdvanSuper

Banned
You're all nucking futs.

fusiongt

Ready to race!
There's never a reason to buy a car in full. Assuming your credit is good enough (since you have that much money your credit should be good) you should be able to get a low APR. Just pay the monthly payments and your credit will shoot up probably 100 points in a few years.

J-DUB

got splashback?
I like this idea, I need to move closer to the ocean

J-DUB

got splashback?

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Its not crazy, trust me. I've heard some odd plans.

In the Berkeley Marina hella people have house boats/yachts that they actually live in.

Chris@RT

Banned
There's never a reason to buy a car in full. Assuming your credit is good enough (since you have that much money your credit should be good) you should be able to get a low APR. Just pay the monthly payments and your credit will shoot up probably 100 points in a few years.

That was my thought when I read that. Right now its tougher but in 06 you should have been able to get 0-2% financing and you'd be making 4-5% if you invested it even poorly but safe. Auto pay each month from that account and you are never late. Credit goes up and you make money on the cash while its invested.

On the topic I think the idea of living on a boat is awesome, if i liked boats ( I don't dislike them I just don't like them either) I'd probably be living on one right now. I live only a few miles from a huge lake, I am there every weekend in the spring summer and fall doing open water swims would be nice to just dump out of my house and swim :). I was looking into doing a similarly odd on land version a few years ago just getting some land and a yurt, its basically a canvas round house.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
the whole car issue is moot. i had a large sum of money then, dont now. i didnt plan ahead cause i was stupid and have done some growing up over the past few years. yes if i could do it over, id be a home owner right now with 2001 gulf. however since i can not go back and change things i have to figure out how to better my situation with what i have now. im trying to find alternitive ways of living without being a slave to rent payment or moving back with mom and dad. house sitting doesnt seem like a solid plan unless you know a lot of rich people who travel a lot that would trust their home with you. i know a lot of maintness guys can get a free apt. if they wanna answer to all the tenents and their problems 24/7 but i dont like people or problems and i expecially dont like other peoples problems (no hot water, broken dishwasher, why they are late for rent...) so living on a boat idea seems like a good idea for a while, while i put money away. it may seem like a bad option to some or most people but on paper looks like a great way to live cheap all while saving for a house that i would own down the line. not to mention id be able to sail whenever i wanted! what are some other ideas to living cheaply so one can save for a down payment or hopefully more, for a house? i guess i could just rent a single room in some ones home but that seems like a drag.

look at this guy, he got a home from trading a paper clip! why didnt i think of that?

Chris@RT

Banned
I'm all for the boat idea but from a cost stand point marina fees, fuel costs etc are going to add up close to what rent is and all be thrown away. If you are looking to confine yourself to 200sqft of living area you can find a place to rent with one or two other people and pay less then the marina fees.

I understand the want to do it but I don't think financially its any better then renting, it's probably worse.

There aren't all those jokes/analogies etc about boat ownership and throwing money away for no reason.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
good point chris. yea i keep hearing 'boat' stands for Bust Out Another Thousand. but the plan is to not need gas, and find a relatively low maintenance boat and from some quick research, marinas fees in my area would be average $100 per foot per season. originally i thought i needed a 30 foot but now im thinking a 25-27ft should be efficient. so in that case $2500 would get me 8 months of dockage. That same $2500 will only last me two months renting in the same area. the plan is to find a boat that needs little work (except for cleaning and interior stuff which i dont mind doing). right now so many people are selling boats the prices are pretty low. now im thinking i should be able to keep the GTI and get a decent craft. i dont know we shall see.