GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Golf R journey begins

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Love the OEM+ on the interior and backup cam. I've thought a lot about doing the cam just to have it but can't justify the cost/labor when I wouldn't use/need the camera anyways.
It is a lot of money if you are not going to use it for sure. Total outlay so far has been 900.00 which includes 500 for headunit and camera and 400 labor to install. It really needs a subwoofer to finish it off, nothing too big just a single 10in that has a built-in amp will do. He quoted me 250 labor. I will go out and see what I can find but I am expecting to spend around 700 total for unit and labor.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Found an inexpensive 10in powered sub and ordered it tonight. Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-10. With tax it was 337.11 from Crutchfield and they will charge me 250 to install it. It is a removable box in case I need to haul something which is unlikely. So in all I will have 1237.00 into the upgrade which is not bad for all the new features I get and some improved sound. Of course if I were not so lazy I could have saved the 650 installation minus the wiring and stuff I would have to buy which means someone could do all this themselves for 750.00i or so.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Subwoofer now installed, just got car back this afternoon. WOW, what a difference it makes. The project is essentially complete and I could not be happier with the outcome. I will make some custom brackets for the box but for now it is being held in place by my cargo net. I use Pandora Premium with my iphone set on highest streaming quality and the system sounds really good for a basic OEM radio. The subwoofer hits quite hard, smooth without distortion and I have to turn the under dash controller it came with down a lot. For 300 bucks or so with a built in amp it is about a cheap as you can get this much sound.

So for a little over 1200 I got:

• OEM style rear camera
  • Carplay (Waze, Google Maps, voice to text imessaging etc.)
  • Nice magnetic phone holder
  • MUCH better sound
  • Speaker just unplugs if I need it out of the way.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well getting pretty close to the end of the projects. Just need to slip the Haldex controller in and take car down to paint shop and pretty much done on all the major stuff I want to do.

Going to put a new cam follower and fuel filter in this weekend.

Project #1 this will be done Friday 4/49/4022 - ALL DONE 2000 years ahead of schedule
Upgrade to CarPlay and add a rear camera. (RCD330 and rear camera arrived 10/21)
Also added a powered sub. Rockford Fosgate 10in

Project #2 - Going to have the front of the car repainted in a month or so
Quote of 1100.00 for hood, fenders and front bumper

Paint correct scratch and rock chips and headlight refinish - done

Project #3 .... ALL DONE!
Refinish and Repair the oem wheels. (done and they came out great)

Project #4 .. ALL DONE!
Trunk Lid enhancements done.

Project #5 (upgrade handling).... ALL DONE!
Install Mfactory/YCW coilovers and drop the car just a little. (sent them in for custom valving - ready after Thanksgiving)
And and 034 Motorsport rear sway bar with 034 end links. (Done)
Update - I got the coilovers for only 600 new, and the manufacturer revalved to my preference for free. Now that they are settled in and I have some time on them they are very nice and feel like the 1700 or so they normally charge for them. Running them on soft setting. Goes 1-7 and I am running them on 1.

Project #6 (upgrade brakes ) ALL Done!
Clean up calipers (rears done)
Repaint spring clips and put new logos on. Strip/Primer/Paint/Decal/Clear (Done)
Install Hawk HPS 5.0 brake pads all around (rears done)
Install Tyrolsport stiffner kit

Project #7 ..just waiting for my A/S tires to wear out - not - taking too long
Neuspeed Haldex Race Controller (purchased from VWVortex forum member 11/13)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My original statement of intent when I bought this car..... "Today I think I will just keep it stock." Ha, that has never worked out for me even with the best of intentions.

I have decided to put off the last thing (paint the front of car) for now and I have a new short project list. It looks good enough, very happy with everything I have done. I will try and get to the track just to see how it does.

1. Upgrade HPFP internals.
2. Move from Stage 1 to Stage 1+

Slight bump, 20hp/25ftlb. - (328hp/322ftlb)

Since I am not original owner of the Stage 1 tune I have to pay an ownership transfer fee (150.00 ) but software is free.

Royalion VI

My original statement of intent when I bought this car..... "Today I think I will just keep it stock." Ha, that has never worked out for me even with the best of intentions.

I have decided to put off the last thing (paint the front of car) for now and I have a new short project list. It looks good enough, very happy with everything I have done. I will try and get to the track just to see how it does.

1. Upgrade HPFP internals.
2. Move from Stage 1 to Stage 1+

Slight bump, 20hp/25ftlb. - (328hp/322ftlb)

Since I am not original owner of the Stage 1 tune I have to pay an ownership transfer fee (150.00 ) but software is free.
May want to verify Stage 1 plus is CARB certified…

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
It's not.... but someone who might do this, just saying, could, if they had, say switchable tunes just switch back to Stage 1 if for some reason they needed to.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well I am so lazy, still have not gotten the Haldex (race) controller in but I am committed to getting it done and will review it after a few weeks of driving. It will be interesting if I can push it hard enough to feel the difference.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Just a follow up. So I am going to stay Stage1 and not go Stage1+.

Originally I thought the 1+ tune could be added to my list of switchable tunes. Not the case. You would have to go to dealer each time.

The 1+ tune would be free after I pay 99.00 to APR to transfer ownership of the software from previous owner of car. Then pay dealer to load the software. Then I would have to buy a 400.00 upgrade kit for the hpfp. So after about 600 bucks I might see an extra 25hp. And I would have a car that would not be emissions legal.

Not worth the hassle but it could be done.

Note - the APR dealer steered me wrong and said I was not eligible for the APR 1+ tune but I called APR directly and confirmed that I am eligible, just have to pay the transfer fee and dealer fee to load it. He also indicated they have at least a couple of maps available. One is hpfp upgrade only and the other is hpfp and upgraded intake.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well the Neuspeed Race Haldex controller is in. I have only driven it home on the freeway so far and a bit around town. As you would expect it doesn't feel any different just putting around. I will get to the canyons soon and see if I can feel any difference.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Well I decided to do more unnecessary, just to please me mods. This week decided to bring out the stock wheels to flush. This is a simple mod and includes the use of collared spacers. 10mm in front and 15mm in back with the appropriate new lugs of the proper length. I was looking at the car and decided it needs it. Needs of course is subjective. Here are a couple of pics, top is before, bottom is after. Stock tire size and OEM wheels, lowered a fair amount and zero rubbing.

I used UroTuning Spulen Flush kit came with everything and two sets of lugs one set all black the other all silver.

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So I had a shop install my Neuspeed Haldex controller just because I am lazy. Went to a shop 40 miles from my house. Used them once before and they can wrench ok. I decided to go back for this and have them put in a fuel pump cam follower.

During the process I can see that some Haldex fluid is being lost. So I am within talking distance so, I say to him, should the Haldex be topped up. He looks at me and says, yes that would be a good idea. Another employee who seem annoyed that I was communicating or standing in the wrong spot closed the door on me to cut things off. I was taken aback a bit, but no big deal, figured he would take care of the fluid, which is all I wanted.

At check out time, he never mentioned the fluid and whether he filled it or any kind of caution letting me know that it still needed to be filled. I had forgotten about it, then after getting home and recalling the incident both of the mechanics seemed a bit off.

So, I started thinking about his reply to me, "that would be a good idea". So, I decided to see if he had filled it, he had not and didn't even mention it to me. Having the right amount of fluid in that system that only hold .7L is important to the longevity of the system. I won't be going back to them, nor will I recommend them. I didn't care for their sort of dismissive attitude and won't pay for poor service. If you are going to take on a job, do it right or just tell me you can't/won't do it.

While I was there I also asked him to check my rear suspension which they installed the 1 time I was there. (it rattles just a little under certain condtions). He told me he didn't see anything. Well when I had the car back up in the air to fill the Haldex I easily spotted the problem. I really don't care for lazy either.

I am happy to drive a long way for premium service and never complain if I receive that service but I should have done all this myself. And I generally don't go back to folks that can't do it right and expect them to correct it as I no longer trust them. Done ranting.

So I have the rear upper spring isolators (rubber) on order to take care of my rattle.

If you live in SoCal and want to know who I went to, I will tell you privately.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
So I finally got around to adjusting my headlights via VAGCOM. My suspension is pretty settled and my headlights have been too low since the suspension upgrade. I will drive the car tonight to be sure the calibration worked. I have had to adjust these on my MKV manually as well.

Module 55/ pick only option from dropdown/ Click on the ON/Off/Next button top of page

riceburner

Autocross Champion
hows the haldex controller feel though?