GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with start/stop system anyone?

andygr

Has anyone had any problems with start/stop on their Mk7's?

Earlier this week, I stopped due to traffic. The start/stop system shut the engine down as usual but when I came to move off, the engine failed to start. The starter attempted to restart the engine but it misfired and just died.

The MFD showed a message like “manual engine start required”. I tried three times to start the engine with the key – each time, it turned the starter but the car just would not start.

"ACC unavailable” then lit up, along with a yellow ACC warning symbol.
I turned the key right off, waited a bit - only then did the car start.

Really not great thing to happen - the dealer and VW UK don't seem interested even though some DTCs were logged.. Still trying to find out from the dealer exactly what they were..

-AG

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Welcome to the forum!

If the dealer is not interested, try a different one now. You really need an insight in to why this happened.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Welcome Andy - I can only echo MarkV - take your business elsewhere.

huithomas

Ready to race!
VW offered a new version of ECU software to fix this problem.

You'd better check with your dealer about this infromation.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
VW UK Customer Services helpfully told me that it might be something to do with my style of driving..

Stopping you mean?? :)

dickt

Ready to race!
When you contact VW customer service in the UK, you normally get a first response person who is basically a call centre worker. You need to ask to speak to a manager as they are the ones who know more about the issues.

I was told twice by different first response people that VW were unaware of any issues with the wipers on a Mk 7. I told the second one about an article that I was writing about it, I asked for her name so I could include it in the article, and she quickly passed me on to her manager who agreed that there was a known fault............

DW58

Go Kart Champion
It's so annoying that they'll lie their way out of a sticky situation.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the initial point of contact for Volkswagen UK isn't even Volkswagen themselves, rather a third-party call-centre to whom they contract out their "Fobbing Off" service, just like M&S, an equally "Couldn't give a damn once we've got your money" company who have a call centre just down the road from me. The horror stories one hears from it are frightening.

dickt

Ready to race!
But at least with M & S most of us can go in to a shop and raise mayhem. The shops are owned and run by M & S.
VW dealers are not run by VW, so causing a fuss is much less satisfying.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Yes, point taken. That aside, the dealerships are as franchisees responsible to both the customer, trouble is there are good dealers and bad. My local dealer which is a family-owned company with four Volkswagen dealerships and one Audi are pretty good, but the thought of buying a VW from the like of Arnold Clark fills me with horror.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI

Earlier this week, I stopped due to traffic. The start/stop system shut the engine down as usual but when I came to move off, the engine failed to start. The starter attempted to restart the engine but it misfired and just died.

The MFD showed a message like “manual engine start required”. I tried three times to start the engine with the key – each time, it turned the starter but the car just would not start.

Really not great thing to happen - the dealer and VW UK don't seem interested even though some DTCs were logged.. Still trying to find out from the dealer exactly what they were..

-AG

To restart a VW, you need to turn the key anti-clockwise and then back to start and ignition. Otherwise it won't restart. Found it out when I stalled an mk5 of a friend of mine...:eek:

Luddite

Ready to race!

-AG

Is your car with a manual or DSG box?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
But at least with M & S most of us can go in to a shop and raise mayhem. The shops are owned and run by M & S.
VW dealers are not run by VW, so causing a fuss is much less satisfying.
Oh yes it is (kinda); when I rejected my 'Flawed Crokus' bought from 'Heavens' Foreshaw', obviously 2 huge mistakes there, it was worth the look on their faces when I dumped the keys, manuals etc on the desk of the relevant, uninterested and initially smirking salesman, walked and didn't look back. Though I did see their reflections :). The only issue I have with Mk7 stop/start is it functions the nano-second I come to a halt, in the years to come I reckon VW will sell a lot of starter motors ;)....