GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Hey guys - lots of great work in this thread.

I have a 2015 NAR GTI, I only have the rain sensor. What is the best way to retro the 3Q0980654G camera? Do I need to replace the windshield? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)

I have a 2015 NAR GTI, I only have the rain sensor. What is the best way to retro the 3Q0980654G camera? Do I need to replace the windshield? Thanks

Yes you must change new windshield compatible 3Q0 980 654 G

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Yes you must change new windshield compatible 3Q0 980 654 G

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Ok that's what I was afraid of haha...Thanks doctor I will start saving my money I guess.

another question for the group...can someone clarify which pins are the can bus extended high and low? I have read one thread saying it is pin 3 and 4 on the yellow plug and somewhere else said it is on the black plug.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

There are two ways,

you can make your own bracket and Install it on the rear view mirror or glue it to the windshield.

OR

you can replace the windshield which is the best way, but whats the point of having proper lane assist when you live on the street now xD.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Ok that's what I was afraid of haha...Thanks doctor I will start saving my money I guess.

another question for the group...can someone clarify which pins are the can bus extended high and low? I have read one thread saying it is pin 3 and 4 on the yellow plug and somewhere else said it is on the black plug.

Im not really sure as i do not have the ACC Radar but the best way to check is to look behind the connector for a gateway wire.

A few pages back in this discussion i added a wiring diagram that shows how the ACC Radar connects to the camera.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
There are two ways,

you can make your own bracket and Install it on the rear view mirror or glue it to the windshield.

OR

you can replace the windshield which is the best way, but whats the point of having proper lane assist when you live on the street now xD.

:D:D so true! I got excited and ordered the camera, but was not prepared for the rest!

And yes, I went back and found your old post and compared with my notes. The black plug is the T17l, pin 12 is high and 13 is low.

Is this the harness you guys are buying? Looks right, but in the feedback someone mentioned if you have ACC this will not work. The ACC harness I have does have two wires for the camera, but I still need a camera harness, right?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...2.0&pvid=47bf8abb-8918-4b95-adf3-7e943681f603

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
:D:D so true! I got excited and ordered the camera, but was not prepared for the rest!

And yes, I went back and found your old post and compared with my notes. The black plug is the T17l, pin 12 is high and 13 is low.

Is this the harness you guys are buying? Looks right, but in the feedback someone mentioned if you have ACC this will not work. The ACC harness I have does have two wires for the camera, but I still need a camera harness, right?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...2.0&pvid=47bf8abb-8918-4b95-adf3-7e943681f603
The camera was the most expensive part, all the rest are quite cheap.

There isnt a harness on aliexpress that supports acc too, you will have to get a harness and buy gateway wires(~5$) and wire it to the TIUL Coupling point.

Should be really easy if you plug the gateway wires to the camera connector and then install everything.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed

Hey! Welcome to the club!

It was myself who has factory fitted ACC and bought a very similar cable from Aliexpress - in fact it looks identical, however I think mine cost about $25. Yes, that's correct, just as Reaper said, the 2 additional canbus cables to connect to the ACC radar aren't included with any of the Aliexpress cables (that I could find). You will need to buy some canbus cable and crimps.

I still haven't got any further with my install either, I have all the kit, just no light and dry evenings to play around :) I did manage to get everything else related to my car sorted recently, so this project jumps back to the top!

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

It was myself who has factory fitted ACC and bought a very similar cable from Aliexpress - in fact it looks identical, however I think mine cost about $25. Yes, that's correct, just as Reaper said, the 2 additional canbus cables to connect to the ACC radar aren't included with any of the Aliexpress cables (that I could find). You will need to buy some canbus cable and crimps.

I still haven't got any further with my install either, I have all the kit, just no light and dry evenings to play around :) I did manage to get everything else related to my car sorted recently, so this project jumps back to the top!
thanks for the welcome! I am excited about this project.

To be clear, I still need to buy the aliexpress harness, I just need to add two canbus cables from the ACC?

Also, it looks like the camera harness goes to can bus extended high and low, but so does the ACC. Do they both need to go to the same pins?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie

Well, I did most of the installations with the doors closed and it was raining xD you can too.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
thanks for the welcome! I am excited about this project.

To be clear, I still need to buy the aliexpress harness, I just need to add two canbus cables from the ACC?

Also, it looks like the camera harness goes to can bus extended high and low, but so does the ACC. Do they both need to go to the same pins?

Yes, the regular harness and extra canbus wire.

Yes they do go into the same pins, The Harness has a special connector that lets you tap into the canbus wires.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the regular harness and extra canbus wire.

Yes they do go into the same pins, The Harness has a special connector that lets you tap into the canbus wires.

@KyACRASH

If you mean do the 2 pairs of canbus go to the same pins in the connection point, then no they don't.

1 pair goes to the ACC radar, whilst the other pair goes on another canbus line.

I recommend you check out Piotr's site (if you haven't already!) for a great overview of what is needed - http://mqb.pl/en/tutorial-retrofiting-lane-assist-sign-assist-light-assist-5q0980653/

Is your ACC factory fitted? If so, you should be in the same position as myself, the required wiring should already go to the connection point in the car, so we can tap into the required lines there.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys, hope your retrofit is going well.

After all this time without the lane assist i really wanted to find a solution and i think i found one, but i will need your help.

My idea is to take the bracket that sits on the mirror, replace the screws with longer ones and add springs in between the bracket and the camera so it is adjustable.

But what springs do i need?
Should i put the springs in between two brackets or is it fine just between the bracket and camera?

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Designing a mount with a 3 screw and Spring setup is a great idea .!

Looking forward for more (workable) ideas -

I think the options here are -

1. Replace Windshield with Camera Mount (Costly Approach)

2. 3D Print a similar plastic camera mount / bracket so that can be attached on
regular/existing windshield. If someone technically savy and have access to a
3D Printer could try and share the file :D, that would be super helpful.

3. Like Reaper and others mentioned, have it mounted on the mirror bracket
with adjustable screw/spring.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Designing a mount with a 3 screw and Spring setup is a great idea .!

Looking forward for more (workable) ideas -

I think the options here are -

1. Replace Windshield with Camera Mount (Costly Approach)

2. 3D Print a similar plastic camera mount / bracket so that can be attached on

regular/existing windshield. If someone technically savy and have access to a

3D Printer could try and share the file :D, that would be super helpful.

3. Like Reaper and others mentioned, have it mounted on the mirror bracket

with adjustable screw/spring.
Hey, thanks for yor reply. I have already retrofitted the camera on the back of my mirror amd it works great, i just dont have lane assist.

The reason is the offset on all 3 axis is a bit higher than it should be and the camera rejects it.

The factory calibration offset is 0.0x and mine is 1.x which is not good at all.

So i was hoping an adjustable mount could let me fine tune the angles until its perfect.