GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I have the front assist radar , not an adaptive cruse control , only front assist ,
according to instrucions yea i have to T connected into the already connected cables..

So back to the car:D

EDIT: THanks for the photo!

Yes I Know, The radar is connected to the same pins on the gateway that the camera will be connected too.

So dont try to tap into the wires in the footwell as its almost impossible to fit more than one hand in there.

follow the wires from the front radar and tap into them in somewhere convenient

gc9n

Ready to race!
i found it

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Oh man , its unbelievable tight!!! ,i have to remove a lot of things to get in there. i ll try tomorow just to reach out, i cant even see just the cable colors,

Yep, Trace the wires from the ACC Radar and tap into the Can wires there and not in the gateway.

piotrekp

That's what you're looking for. As far as I remember, check the voltage or google which one is high and which one is low.

gc9n

Ready to race!
There is something i cant understand and i have to clear it out ,
i have 4 Data cables , the other 2 are for voltages ,

The 4 data cables goes as

camera pin 1 >> To CanBus 2 Brown Plug pin 11
camera pin 7 >> To CanBus 2 Brown Plug pin 9
(there is no adaptive cruise control for me so i stop there)

camera pin 2 >> To CanBus 1 CAN-LOW
camera pin 8 >> To CanBus 1 CAN HIGH

So for pins 2 and 8 , the Cangateway Red plug is no Go for me ,
So i just need to find the
CAN-LOW
CAN-HIGH
Either to the "black plug" of the previous picture ..
Or i saw that my META System Alarm is using Can H- Can L

All i ve got do is to find a line of those two

Am i correct guys?

(AND Give me your Paypal to buy you a Beer)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
There is something i cant understand and i have to clear it out ,
i have 4 Data cables , the other 2 are for voltages ,

The 4 data cables goes as

camera pin 1 >> To CanBus 2 Brown Plug pin 11
camera pin 7 >> To CanBus 2 Brown Plug pin 9
(there is no adaptive cruise control for me so i stop there)

camera pin 2 >> To CanBus 1 CAN-LOW
camera pin 8 >> To CanBus 1 CAN HIGH

So for pins 2 and 8 , the Cangateway Red plug is no Go for me ,
So i just need to find the
CAN-LOW
CAN-HIGH
Either to the "black plug" of the previous picture ..
Or i saw that my META System Alarm is using Can H- Can L

All i ve got do is to find a line of those two

Am i correct guys?

(AND Give me your Paypal to buy you a Beer)

hmm, Camera goes to a specific can line that is called can bus extended. there are more like the infotainment can bus and comfort can bus, so you cant just connect it to a random can line.

The two wires in the black plug goes to the can bus extended which is the one you need.

So all you need is to just find which one is high or low and tap into the correct ones.

gc9n

Ready to race!
OK Black Plug with osciloscope
Pin 13 Is Bellow Zero
Pin 12 is Above Zero
So it seems to be as you said guys

The voltage was flactuating between 300-150mV

Attachments

• 2018-12-10_0-18-09.jpg
    2018-12-10_0-18-09.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 758

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
OK Black Plug with osciloscope
Pin 13 Is Bellow Zero
Pin 12 is Above Zero
So it seems to be as you said guys

The voltage was flactuating between 300-150mV

Looks Good. Try and tap into them if you are sure what is low and what is high.

If everything is good, add A5 to your gateway list in VCDS and you should be able to code it.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
This is cool, seems there are a few of us working on this project now :)

Thanks to piotrekp for your guide. Just had a read of it.

I'm going to go with the 5Q0 camera then based purely on the ribbon cable length.

Hi
I am also currently trying to retrofit a Lane assist Camera from kufatek , with all the cable Harness and all ,
When i saw piotrekp method , WOW amazing .

Just for the referense FPC cable is the really flexi cable with orange color , i think in his blog made a mistake the cable that he uses is FFC .

I ll try to make a 3D printed case only for the camera , as clear as possible exactly like dashcams.
So piotrekp idea will be one step further because we will not have to change anything or drill

Interesting that you mention 3D printing, it was actually on my mind earlier this week, my 3D design skills aren't great, but I have created a few fairly basic designs for printing before, so I may consider it. Once I get my hands on the camera, I will have a play around to see where I can mount it to my existing mirror housing if possible.
If I go down this route I will have to see what material would be best, I normally just use PLA, which as you guys have already said, won't be suitable.

Reading over this thread and the guide, I guess my main concerns are finding a point to splice into the wiring (as I have ACC), the mounting without having to swap all my mirror if possible, and one thing I haven't seen detailed is the coding to be done with VCDS afterwards. I have an OBDeleven, which I know my way around, so that should be fine with a few pointers to what changes need to be made.

So my shopping list is a 5Q0 camera, harness (probably will go for the Kufatec), VAS5054 for ODIS calibration and 40cm ribbon cable for now, then once all this arrives, I worry about the mounting solution - by which point I'm sure you guys will have yours sorted ;)

For the VAS5054 - I guess the ebay/aliexpress ones with the original OKI chip are likely to be the best? All around $50-60.

Good luck to you all on the final steps to get your setups working :)