GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

gc9n

Ready to race!
This is cool, seems there are a few of us working on this project now :)

Thanks to piotrekp for your guide. Just had a read of it.

I'm going to go with the 5Q0 camera then based purely on the ribbon cable length.

Interesting that you mention 3D printing, it was actually on my mind earlier this week, my 3D design skills aren't great, but I have created a few fairly basic designs for printing before, so I may consider it. Once I get my hands on the camera, I will have a play around to see where I can mount it to my existing mirror housing if possible.
If I go down this route I will have to see what material would be best, I normally just use PLA, which as you guys have already said, won't be suitable.

Reading over this thread and the guide, I guess my main concerns are finding a point to splice into the wiring (as I have ACC), the mounting without having to swap all my mirror if possible, and one thing I haven't seen detailed is the coding to be done with VCDS afterwards. I have an OBDeleven, which I know my way around, so that should be fine with a few pointers to what changes need to be made.

So my shopping list is a 5Q0 camera, harness (probably will go for the Kufatec), VAS5054 for ODIS calibration and 40cm ribbon cable for now, then once all this arrives, I worry about the mounting solution - by which point I'm sure you guys will have yours sorted ;)

For the VAS5054 - I guess the ebay/aliexpress ones with the original OKI chip are likely to be the best? All around $50-60.

Good luck to you all on the final steps to get your setups working :)

Cool the more the better!!!
Oh damn ,, i forgot the ODIS.. i have to get one for my self too

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
This is cool, seems there are a few of us working on this project now :)

Thanks to piotrekp for your guide. Just had a read of it.

I'm going to go with the 5Q0 camera then based purely on the ribbon cable length.

Interesting that you mention 3D printing, it was actually on my mind earlier this week, my 3D design skills aren't great, but I have created a few fairly basic designs for printing before, so I may consider it. Once I get my hands on the camera, I will have a play around to see where I can mount it to my existing mirror housing if possible.
If I go down this route I will have to see what material would be best, I normally just use PLA, which as you guys have already said, won't be suitable.

Reading over this thread and the guide, I guess my main concerns are finding a point to splice into the wiring (as I have ACC), the mounting without having to swap all my mirror if possible, and one thing I haven't seen detailed is the coding to be done with VCDS afterwards. I have an OBDeleven, which I know my way around, so that should be fine with a few pointers to what changes need to be made.

So my shopping list is a 5Q0 camera, harness (probably will go for the Kufatec), VAS5054 for ODIS calibration and 40cm ribbon cable for now, then once all this arrives, I worry about the mounting solution - by which point I'm sure you guys will have yours sorted ;)

For the VAS5054 - I guess the ebay/aliexpress ones with the original OKI chip are likely to be the best? All around $50-60.

Good luck to you all on the final steps to get your setups working :)

I Made a design for the bracket that will hold the mirror and sent it to a company that will 3dprint it for. If it fits good i will upload it here as it will be easier for you.

The coding Is the easiest part xD, there are so many tutorials on how to enable all the features of the camera.

I Still think aliexpress has the best harness. costs about 15$. and even has a special way of tapping into the can wires.

I Ordered VAS5054A from aliexpress, should work just fine. ( pretty sure you need a windows 7 laptop to run ODIS)

Last edited:

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
I Made a design for the bracket that will hold the mirror and sent it to a company that will 3dprint it for. If it fits good i will upload it here as it will be easier for you.

The coding Is the easiest part xD, there are so many tutorials on how to enable all the features of the camera.

I Still think aliexpress has the best harness. costs about 15$. and even has a special way of tapping into the can wires.

I Ordered VAS5054A from aliexpress, should work just fine. ( pretty sure you need a windows 7 laptop to run ODIS)

Yeah, coding should be no problem. Will be interesting to see your bracket once you have it :)

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I found a harness on aliexpress

Last edited:

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, coding should be no problem. Will be interesting to see your bracket once you have it :)

EDIT: Doesn't matter, I found a harness on aliexpress

I'll go and pick it up on wednesday. Its made out of ABS if it helps.

yep, they are the best. and really cheap compared to others.

The only thing you'll find diffcult getting in IMO is the mirror cover.

My dealer couldnt find it on their database so i had to buy it from the only site i found it in and it was 60$!, supposed to be 5 :(

gc9n

Ready to race!
OK one thing is missing , instructions for the VCDS, i saw 3 deferent ways on the inet how to enable the functions.
And is it better to Start with ODIS and then with VCDS ? or it doesnt matter?
i guess that if i start with vcds i will get errors for not calibrated camera

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
OK one thing is missing , instructions for the VCDS, i saw 3 deferent ways on the inet how to enable the functions.
And is it better to Start with ODIS and then with VCDS ? or it doesnt matter?
i guess that if i start with vcds i will get errors for not calibrated camera

hmm, for coding we will have to confirm the way that works. So when the camera arrives we can try.

The error for calibration will always be there until you calibrate it. And im pretty sure You can still code With VCDS even though there is a "no basic setting error" .

gc9n

Ready to race!
i will try it as soon as i finish with the wires , i have everything camera included.
odis missing but as i saw it will come with Express shipping.
aahh free time missing also

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
i will try it as soon as i finish with the wires , i have everything camera included.
odis missing but as i saw it will come with Express shipping.
aahh free time missing also

Should take you 2 hours to finish all the wiring and you will be off to coding.

Just try to get everything working and make sure nothing is faulty.

vw-ac

Passed Driver's Ed
So my update is I purchased a harness and 24pin ribbon+coupler from AliExpress and the Odis with supposedly original oki from eBay (about the same price as AliExpress for me).
The 5q0 camera has been ordered too.

Yeah, for me it's going to be more difficult to get the mirror cover piece, as you mentioned.
The main wait will be for the AliExpress kit though - hopefully Christmas period doesn't delay it too much :)

As for the vcds coding, I've seen different posts online, we just need to merge them into the working solution when we have all the kit to test on :)

Oh and I will have to get a printout of the calibration board sorted soon too.

Will keep you all updated as I go.

gc9n

Ready to race!
So my update is I purchased a harness and 24pin ribbon+coupler from AliExpress and the Odis with supposedly original oki from eBay (about the same price as AliExpress for me).
The 5q0 camera has been ordered too.

Yeah, for me it's going to be more difficult to get the mirror cover piece, as you mentioned.
The main wait will be for the AliExpress kit though - hopefully Christmas period doesn't delay it too much :)

As for the vcds coding, I've seen different posts online, we just need to merge them into the working solution when we have all the kit to test on :)

Oh and I will have to get a printout of the calibration board sorted soon too.

Will keep you all updated as I go.

for the ODIS , check him also , he has a UK warehouse .
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...262.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15744c4dqwKlCg