GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Skid Plate - What are my options?

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Hi folks, Paula from dieselgeek told me its gonna be a long time before they release a panzer plate. I noticed a thread with some EU parts for a OEM skid plate option. I also googled and found an Estonian site that offers a skid plate as well - it's just not in english.... so I am a little sketched out :p

That being said, I know we have a bunch of international individual and was wondering what were people getting?

I looked locally for the EU OEM parts but they are not available.

Does anyone know a site (reputable) that is selling the OEM EU version?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Paul

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
found this but I cant find the parts in the USA.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

Any supplier that ships to the USA?

Thanks,

Paul

That's my thread...............lol........................

Have you gone to the parts dept at your VW dealer & asked them to get the parts? Those are VW parts numbers from the VW ETKA parts system, they should see them as I can see American & NAR only parts on ETKA here in uk!. Those parts are NOT UK only, they are "general" parts as not "handed" for left or right hand drive, infact they are standard options in Germany which is the same side on the road as you in the USA!:cool:

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
That's my thread...............lol........................

Have you gone to the parts dept at your VW dealer & asked them to get the parts? Those are VW parts numbers from the VW ETKA parts system, they should see them as I can see American & NAR only parts on ETKA here in uk!. Those parts are NOT UK only, they are "general" parts as not "handed" for left or right hand drive, infact they are standard options in Germany which is the same side on the road as you in the USA!:cool:

thanks Dave. I was hoping there was a NON dealer option somewhere online for me.... guess I will have to go to the stealership and ask :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You asked other options, we supply!

Andy

As I have said in my thread a fully aluminium tray will resonate stone impacts etc & create more road & engine noise.

Not only that but this tray uses the front lower valance & wheel arch plastic to hold it up & those points are flexible plastic.

The OEM VW one I fitted uses two metal brackets on the chassis out-riggers as per all the older VW OEM skid trays. If you hit something hard & solid the VW trays distribute the force back to the chassis & will not flex. This aluminium tray above will flex & could hit the sump which is not what you want!!

Also the VW one including brackets cost me circa £220.00, that aluminium one is advertised at $249.95

Even taking into account exchange rates I think I'd far rather have an item which will protect the car more ..............VW version for me. :cool:

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Where are you driving that you need that?

Why should my location be of relevance in this discussion? VW has manufactured a quality product for our car yet again the US market gets shafted. I just would much rather have something made by the manufacturer of our car over something aftermarket.

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
Why should my location be of relevance in this discussion? VW has manufactured a quality product for our car yet again the US market gets shafted. I just would much rather have something made by the manufacturer of our car over something aftermarket.

Because unless you are bouncing over rocks it really isn't necessary. They make a lot of sense for people who off road their trucks/jeeps. Although I guess there has been a couple of times where I ran over some rocks on the highway that made me nervous for a second.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
Our skid plate is 3/16” thick aluminum sheet that is hard mounted to the subframe. It is capable of absorbing and deflecting severe impacts as well as withstanding contact with hard objects such as speed bumps and potholes. These design features make it strong enough to evenly distribute impact forces across all mounting points.

More info can be found here - ES2986429

Install PDF can be found - Here

Andy

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Quote ESC "Our skid plate is 3/16” thick aluminum sheet that is hard mounted to the subframe. It is capable of absorbing and deflecting severe impacts as well as withstanding contact with hard objects such as speed bumps and potholes. These design features make it strong enough to evenly distribute impact forces across all mounting points.

More info can be found here - ES2986429

Install PDF can be found - Here" end quote

web page won't let me direct quote so cut & paste.....:mad:

If you hit any object at speed with a skid plate the front part nearest the bumper will hit it first. The part if not properly restrained will deflect upwards & in the VW version it has two big steel brackets to transmit the load to the chassis out riggers.

Yours does not have this so these forces will be directed into the weak plastic of the wheel arch liner bottom sections & the front lower valance, causing these to flex & crack.

Your 4.5mm thick aluminium "skid tray" may be fixed to the cars front subframe but that is at the rear edge of your "skid tray". You have two crease/bends pressed into the sheet between those rear three bolt points & the front section which has the 3D bent wings. Those two creases/bends are weak points & if you hit something hard the tray will flex upwards at those points & right into your plastic oil sump (GTI/R).............:eek:

VW design their Skid Trays properly & theirs will do the job properly!

You have people on this thread in USA wanting to buy the VW one which is a factory option in Europe, you sell VW stuff, why not sell the proper VW option like I fitted to my car????