GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Skid Plate - What are my options?

wave

Ready to race!
Also find below a picture pulled from your web site of your "skid tray".

I know why you have the picture sooo dark..............:D

Lighten the shadows & tada!!............it reveals BIG gaping holes between the front edges & the wheel arch & front valance........

So this will act like big scoops & all kinds of crud will get in & rest on the aluminium & makes loads of noise. Also it will act like a snow scoop in winter & will really disturb the air flow under the car...........

Oh & the VW one does have a proper NACA duct in it directing air flow at the gearbox.........

I don't mind companies creating good products, but when it's designed badly compared to an existing off the shelf item why bother?.........:cool:

Do you have to remove this OEM skidplate in order to do an oil change?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Do you have to remove this OEM skidplate in order to do an oil change?

Yes, with any skid tray you have to, there is only one make which does access holes for oil change & that is alu material & they are called "Sheriff", Russian I think.

I prefer a solid cover & remove as & when required. ;)

EDIT:-

http://www.engineprotect.com/

Looks like they don't do one yet anyway for MK7 Golf!

Last edited:

casualsurfer

Ready to race!
How well does an extractor remove all the oil? have you used an extractor and say open the oil drain pug just to see if it was all or mostly removed? Thanks
If you read Amazon reviews the extractors are usually well rated. I'm thinking of doing it myself as well and this would be an ideal tool.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Personally I prefer to do this properly.

So get engine fully warm (go for drive) park car up, jack up, remove skid tray, drain engine oil (I wear full industrial rubber gauntlets to protect hands/arms), & filter.

I then usually go for lunch. After lunch fit new sump plug, & filter, inspect engine bay from underside, refit skid tray, refill with new oil.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Does anyone know if the skid plate / engine under tray 5Q0825902C fit my 2016 Golf GTD