GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Skid Plate - What are my options?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Also find below a picture pulled from your web site of your "skid tray".

I know why you have the picture sooo dark..............:D

Lighten the shadows & tada!!............it reveals BIG gaping holes between the front edges & the wheel arch & front valance........

So this will act like big scoops & all kinds of crud will get in & rest on the aluminium & makes loads of noise. Also it will act like a snow scoop in winter & will really disturb the air flow under the car...........

Oh & the VW one does have a proper NACA duct in it directing air flow at the gearbox.........

I don't mind companies creating good products, but when it's designed badly compared to an existing off the shelf item why bother?.........:cool:

Attachments

• ESC-skid-tray-comparision.jpg
    ESC-skid-tray-comparision.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 5,659
Last edited:

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
golfdave - We have not had any negative complaints or side effects nor issues while testing on our shop MK7. Sounds like OEM or bust for you, which is fine.

Andy

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
golfdave - We have not had any negative complaints or side effects nor issues while testing on our shop MK7. Sounds like OEM or bust for you, which is fine.

Andy

Well I fitted the OEM skid tray 1yr ago & did my "how to guide" as you know (you posted in that thread) :cool:

As for "OEM or bust", you obviously don't read the sigs as I have two sets of TD PR alloys.......ie NOT OEM.....I also have 42draft designs bush & eye sets on my Audi TT gear linkage set, & a nice Lifeline "halon type" fire extinguisher..........

All these items are way better than the OEM stuff in engineering/design/build etc. IMHO.............:cool:

Just IMHO your "skid tray " is not better than the OEM VW one............

Just for you I'll give you some advice, either buy a crate load of the OEM ones from Europe & ship them over the USA...............or take the diesel full aero tray that VW make & you sell & reinforce that on the engine side with thin alu sheet or fibreglass etc............ Then you will have the full sealed OEM aero look & all the benefits & a tougher tray..............:D

I'll give you that idea commissions free so long as you credit it to me personally..................:D

casualsurfer

Ready to race!
Because unless you are bouncing over rocks it really isn't necessary. They make a lot of sense for people who off road their trucks/jeeps. Although I guess there has been a couple of times where I ran over some rocks on the highway that made me nervous for a second.
My commute is back country roads and lots and lots of pebbles and stones, which is why I'm also considering this.

Also my reason for getting the DG springs and not others.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
I'd join a GB for this (group buy, not Great Britain).

I'd be in for a group buy also. Leaving the house this morning after the wonderful Wednesday blizzard, most of it melted off but what didn't was still 8-10" tall and the sound of ice scraping the bottom of the car makes me cringe. It's also fun when you're on the freeway and a truck drops a 30 pound block of ice. This is why my car isn't lowered as it's already asking for a busted oil pan at stock height.