GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tattoos in the Work Place...Thoughts??

MKVRidah36

Ready to race!
You guys are allowed to display your ink? In our place of work tattos that are offensive or "gang related" must be covered. I find the gang related part really funny cuz I work in Law Enforcement...:lol:

Here in NJ, when you are going through the screening process for the job, they check your tattoos to see if they are gang related. Other than that, they are perfectly acceptable. I cant count the number of officers with full sleeves and most of us wear short sleeves.

Notoriouswithag

Slow+semi-low
I work at starbucks and most of the time when im making drinks my supervisors dont really care, even my store manager doesent care. When I first got it I would either wear long sleeve shirts underneath my black polo or wear a sweatband to cover it up but I stopped doing it.

Alot of customers that wait for their drinks see my tatoo and are always intrigued by it, im always getting questions like "did it hurt, whats it mean, how much, etc" so thats pretty cool

Boonedock82

Go Kart Champion
To me having to cover up tattoos is ridiculous and borderline discrimination.

I do how ever greatly understand peoples impression on tattoos, so I understand the logic but I still think that its inappropriate to ask someone to cover up their ink. To me it would be like asking someone to take off their turban. Its a life choice that some of us make and why should we have to pay for it because it makes some people uncomfortable. Sorry this topic just rubs me the wrong way. It just feels like perpetuation of the stigma that anyone with tattoos is a criminal/delinquent ect.

conom06d

Flying circles around VWs
To me having to cover up tattoos is ridiculous and borderline discrimination.

I do how ever greatly understand peoples impression on tattoos, so I understand the logic but I still think that its inappropriate to ask someone to cover up their ink. To me it would be like asking someone to take off their turban. Its a life choice that some of us make and why should we have to pay for it because it makes some people uncomfortable. Sorry this topic just rubs me the wrong way. It just feels like perpetuation of the stigma that anyone with tattoos is a criminal/delinquent ect.

I completely see how it could be discrimination, however, on the other side you weren't born with a tattoo so if you choose to place something that someone finds unprofessional on your body, they do have that right to request you to cover it for their own company

Boonedock82

Go Kart Champion
I completely see how it could be discrimination, however, on the other side you weren't born with a tattoo so if you choose to place something that someone finds unprofessional on your body, they do have that right to request you to cover it for their own company

Yea I do understand it. Doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

I see bolth sides of the argument I really do, I just wish that people would get over it already and allow people to be who they are regardless of being at work or at home.

I have always kind of been agains't people putting a lid on others individuality, there are already way too many automatons out there that couldn't distiguish themselves from the person beside them if they tried. IMO we should be celebrating people that try to break away from the common mould regardless of how they do it instead of covering them up.

I went through a bad experience with this sort of thing when I was 18. I had multiple peircings in each ear and my eye brow peirced. I got into it with a manager at a job that I had been at for over 2 years about new company policy. I had thoes peircings long before they hired me and I had been at the job for over a year already. I was almost fired for refusing to take out all of my pericings for work (the only one they would let me keep in was my left ear lobe). They finally conceded because I was hired before their new policy came into place.