GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test Drove: Mini Cooper S, 06 BMW M3 SMG, 335CI

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure whether or not my expectations were too high, however, I was not too impressed with the m3's acceleration. It obviously goes, but I was expecting it to feel similar to a 911 [ 993 Carrera 2, or 996 Carrera 2 ]. The SMG is really neat though, I like the fact you have to feather the accelerator to get it to shift smoothly, unlike DSG.

The 335ci, [ auto ] did not "feel" as fast as the 06 M3. It certainly gets you from speed X, to speed Y without any problem, but with a price tag of 50K [ including the options I want ] I might as well get a barebone 07 m3 for 48K.

In all the 07 Mini Cooper S felt more entertaining and fun to drive. I know most of you will probably think I need my head examined, but the Mini Cooper just left me wanting more after the test drive. It's obvious that it is the cheapest out of the bunch, and will be the cheapest to maintain, and insure. Thus it may end up being my next car.

Has anyone test driven the 07 Cooper S or 335Ci [ Manual at least ] ?

Cheers,

Draw007

pdx_rox
Although we're not comparing a-a, if I were making the purchase, I'd go with a GTI. Before you laugh, among the multitude of vehicles I've had, I have had two 3-series Bimmers, and an Audi A4 (2002). I also test drove a Mini S and I tell you what, the MKV GTI rocks. For the amount of money one spends on this car, it truly is the best performance car for the money.

(BTW, I also drove the new Si and it's pretty typical of VTEC engines, you have to wind it out before it comes alive. Everyone knows that's not practical.)

Buy a GTI and start modifying. Guarantee, you’ll get more satisfaction and looks….

Draw007

pdx_rox
...sorry for typos, i'm busy doing other things,,,:biggrin:

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
hahahah no problem, i already have a GTI DSG with Revo STG1. I just like to plan ahead, and in 2-3 years I would like to upgrade to something different. I am fully aware that the cars i test drove are not a direct apple - apple scenario, but they were on my short list.

None the less, all 4 [ GTI, Cooper S, 335CI, 06 M3 ] are amazing cars ;)

BlueWabbit

back being low.
well if you think about the whole weight issue in my opinion would really effect the whole "feel" and performance of the car and think about it now and days more modern cars are going for the feel of being fast and not knowing your going fast... like in my rabbit i could cruise 80-100 without feeling a much difference now compared to like my friends civic you totally feel 100 hands down so its really personal taste but i'd bang any 335, m3, mini any day such great cars. but really down to bare bone facts its all your taste opinions great and all but just how you feel for the car, just do some more research and find some more finance / performance stuff from local owners they would probably give you a lot more info than forum buddies.

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
test drove all of the aforementioned vehicles. As an ex R53 MCS owner, I am not too found of the new MCS as all. I like the old SC'ed ones better, they had more soul.

E46 M3, I have driven bunch of them, the most recent was an 05 with SMG and competition package. Not liking the SMG at all, personal preference.

335ci? Not my cup of tea, It is fast but think about it 3.5lt inline 6 and 2 turbos, only 300hp? Not a great accomplishment. Car drives smooth, no turbo lag whatsoever. E46 M3 still feels faster.

I dont believe you can buy the new M3 at around $48,000.00, where did you see that? It would be awesome, because people are talking about low $60Ks.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
335ci? Not my cup of tea, It is fast but think about it 3.5lt inline 6 and 2 turbos, only 300hp? Not a great accomplishment. Car drives smooth, no turbo lag whatsoever. E46 M3 still feels faster.

it's a 3.0 L, not 3.5. with a chip and exhaust, you're at close to 400hp, and probably over 400 ft-lbs.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
test drove all of the aforementioned vehicles. As an ex R53 MCS owner, I am not too found of the new MCS as all. I like the old SC'ed ones better, they had more soul.

E46 M3, I have driven bunch of them, the most recent was an 05 with SMG and competition package. Not liking the SMG at all, personal preference.

I dont believe you can buy the new M3 at around $48,000.00, where did you see that? It would be awesome, because people are talking about low $60Ks.

48K MSRP, barebone. Naturally with options it will be around the high 50K. If you google up the m3 price list you'll see what I'm talking about.

But i do agree with you on how the M3 still feels faster, and how the 335 drives too smooth. It gets you from A to B very quickly, but its similar to driving a S550, you just don't know that you're at such a given speed untill you see the speedo.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
I'm not too keen on getting a STI or EVO, they're amazingly quick, but not really my cup of tea. I would like a clash of luxury in the cars, hence why I stuck with BMW.

Mercedes' C63 AMG seems promising, however we have two mercs in our garage as is, and would like to get something different. Furthermore, I'm not a fan of their 7 Gear Auto system.

I was unable to test drive a S4 at my local dealership, and if I am to get one, it will most likely be the wagon or cabrio.

Oh well still have plenty of time, but if you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

Cheers, and thanks for all the input above!

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
see i dont want to do that, on a $50K+ car, i dont want to deal with chips...etc. Not to mention, ///M cars are always way different than the regular ones.

well, if you're concerned with warranty, if you get a Dinan chip, then they will honor the remainder of your warranty, which also includes OEM components affected by the chip. if you're out of warranty, they'll give you a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. i don't think they have a chip yet, but they probably will soon.

don't get me wrong, the m3 is a great car, especially for track or performance driving, but i'm not planning to do any of that. the amenities on the m3 are nice, but i don't really want most of them. also, i'm pretty sure the insurance on a m3 is gonna be substantially more than on a 335.

btw, the 335 starts at under 40k. once optioned to what i want, it's about 45k msrp. this includes sport package, which raises the rev limiter.

bottom line is it's really personal preference.

Sayemthree

Ready to race!
Ihave driven a 335i MT and At on the track both are fun - but I prefer my e46 M3 6MT - I dont care for the SMG. maybe you need to get used to the power but when you floor it in the M3 and wring it up to the 8000 rpm redlines it GOES. on straigh up on ramps to the freeway that go from two lanes to one at the end you can pass cars that you and you passengers would not beleive possible.

Had a Mini S convertible lonaer for three days - fun car but loud and rattly. would not buy one.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
The one i drove was 50K [335ci auto], had everything except park distance and the active cruise control.

Basically that or the Mini Cooper S. My heart loves the m3, but I was expecting alot more I guess. High expectations.

Then there's the 1 series, if it hits our pond.

Draw007

pdx_rox
I realize this wasn't invited to the party but I while I was getting an oil change today I strolled down to a dealership specializing in premium cars. They had 3-4 5-series Bimmers. One of which was a silver '05 545I for $38K.

I'm afraid I'd have to go with that. It was HOT. :evil: