GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The bored at home / COVID19 / Working from home thread

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It's great isn't it?
Pros and cons. My office is far and it takes me an hour and a half to get there so I'm grateful about saving gas. On the other hand I feel like I never leave my house and that's draining for me. Feels like living at work sometimes vs working from home.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Pros and cons. My office is far and it takes me an hour and a half to get there so I'm grateful about saving gas. On the other hand I feel like I never leave my house and that's draining for me. Feels like living at work sometimes vs working from home.
Almost like you need a side gig as a distraction. I have some buddy’s that started woodworking to escape

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion

I definitely feel the same way sometime. M-F, the only really time I leave is to take my kid to school, a whopping 3 miles away. I mean, I walk ~5 miles around the neighborhood every morning, but it's not really getting out.

I have a 12 mile commute, takes about 45 minutes, which would suck to have to resume 5x a week,

swcrow

Autocross Champion
75 mile round trip every time I go to work.....I DEFINITELY don't want to resume that.

Actually currently searching for horizontal move in federal space into a fully remote position. Been on current program for 14 years.....time for a change.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
One thing that helped me is having a separate dedicated room for my office, not having my office share a space with my bedroom or the living room.

It just helps with your mindset. When I walk into my office I am at work. When I step back through that door I'm back home. No work happens in the "house" if I need to take a call I go back into my office.

During covid my office was in my living room and it just felt like I was always at work, never relaxing at home.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Almost like you need a side gig as a distraction. I have some buddy’s that started woodworking to escape

One thing that helped me is having a separate dedicated room for my office, not having my office share a space with my bedroom or the living room.

It just helps with your mindset. When I walk into my office I am at work. When I step back through that door I'm back home. No work happens in the "house" if I need to take a call I go back into my office.

During covid my office was in my living room and it just felt like I was always at work, never relaxing at home.
Yeah that helps, one of the bedrooms is my office, I never work in the living room or anywhere else really.

Autocross Champion
Yeah that helps, one of the bedrooms is my office, I never work in the living room or anywhere else really.

This is my setup. First ~6 months I had an workout bench for a seat, and my computer on the pool table, which sucked. Now I have an actual desk setup which is exponentially more comfortable. We got to take our chairs when we cleaned out the office.

cb1111

I have two offices in my house - both with identical keyboards, mouse, dual monitors etc, Different desks but the same chairs - and I share the offices with my wife.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Bump!!

Who's still working from home?

Friday 3/13/2020 we left for the weekend planning to WFH for 2 weeks. December 2020 my company decided to not renew our lease. We go into our parent company 2x a month and basically do nothing 🤣

Looking back, it's crazy how less productive we were in office. My wife is back 2-3 days a week, and constantly talks about how people stand around for hours socializing, taking long lunches, playing ping pong (yes, they have a ping pong table) and are just generally less productive when there are at home.
Me. But I was remote before covid, so...

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Mostly, yes. They leave me alone, because get shit done and never cause a hassle, but if I need to go in, I do without complaining or having to be asked to.

I had a five week period where I worked 12 hours a day to get a project live and I just did it on site.

No one looks over my shoulder or tracks my hours. They have to with some of the other folks I work with, because they'll let a project fail before coming in and have to be directed to come in and have rigid hours, or they just won't work.

At the end of the day, I put in more hours than most, but I have 100% flexibility.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
On the down side, I've worked 8 hours on vacation.

Autocross Champion
Mostly, yes. They leave me alone, because get shit done and never cause a hassle, but if I need to go in, I do without complaining or having to be asked to.

I had a five week period where I worked 12 hours a day to get a project live and I just did it on site.

No one looks over my shoulder or tracks my hours. They have to with some of the other folks I work with, because they'll let a project fail before coming in and have to be directed to come in and have rigid hours, or they just won't work.

At the end of the day, I put in more hours than most, but I have 100% flexibility.

My company is just the opposite. Totally micro managed. 8:30 and 4:00 daily check ins, 15 minute daily project updates. Weekly Jira review. Time sheets down to 15 minute increments. Expectation is to be online and available from 8:30-5, with lunch from 12-1. Management needs notified of any deviations and we are largely expected to make up any time.

The flip side, I rarely work more than 40 hours and I’m totally left alone on vacation.