GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
As far as hating Max goes I do not hate him. I try to live my life without hate in it. Life is too short to waste it on hate. Max is a great driver & he is like most all driver's, quite self centered.

hans611

Lost
Lewis, Alonso, ofc Multi 21 Seb, used to all be a lot like Max (Aryton/MSC mentality) but over the years they have calmed down, now relied on their experience instead of going to the absolute limit at all times (including going to the limit of your team/teammate, the track, aggressive passes, the rulebook, etc...)

Ocon was really rough with Alonso last year (not to mention Perez and Stroll during the racing point days) and he was very lenient, probably knows Ocon in the end races for his seat, he doesn't get to command the cocky "Champion" mentality a young WDC winner like Max or Seb in 2010-2013 could... or MSC after freshly winning his Benetton tittles and moving to Ferrari in 1997.

Seb became the sweetheart of the fans and paddock, he use to be a total diva.... Lewis drama peaked after the Rosberg, as there was little need for mind games. The current flop merc is in has humbled him quite a bit, and generally keeps the drama to the min.. I wonder what would happen if the Merc can suddenly fight, Russell could catch him napping and I wonder if he still has the fight in him...

Actually I think Max has already calmed down himself a bit, he was Ocon-like against Sainz in the torro rosso years 2015 when he was racing for his seat, then has been a bit of WDC diva like Seb was but definetly not Multi 21 yet... dont be so quick to judge is my take, he is already doing better than Seb lol

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Lewis, Alonso, ofc Multi 21 Seb, used to all be a lot like Max (Aryton/MSC mentality) but over the years they have calmed down, now relied on their experience instead of going to the absolute limit at all times (including going to the limit of your team/teammate, the track, aggressive passes, the rulebook, etc...)

Ocon was really rough with Alonso last year (not to mention Perez and Stroll during the racing point days) and he was very lenient, probably knows Ocon in the end races for his seat, he doesn't get to command the cocky "Champion" mentality a young WDC winner like Max or Seb in 2010-2013 could... or MSC after freshly winning his Benetton tittles and moving to Ferrari in 1997.

Seb became the sweetheart of the fans and paddock, he use to be a total diva.... Lewis drama peaked after the Rosberg, as there was little need for mind games. The current flop merc is in has humbled him quite a bit, and generally keeps the drama to the min.. I wonder what would happen if the Merc can suddenly fight, Russell could catch him napping and I wonder if he still has the fight in him...

Actually I think Max has already calmed down himself a bit, he was Ocon-like against Sainz in the torro rosso years 2015 when he was racing for his seat, then has been a bit of WDC diva like Seb was but definetly not Multi 21 yet... dont be so quick to judge is my take, he is already doing better than Seb lol
Everyone loves to hate a driver when they're winning, and drivers love to act like cunts if they can get away with it.

It wasn't talked about during the race but how much did you want to bet Hamilton was on the team radio telling them to let Russell know he's faster (at least until Russell realized that Alonso had already served his 5 sec penalty and needs to get a move on). It's just the nature of being a top-level driver, you have to be selfish and all the best are. I actually liked Hamilton before the titles went to his head and he started dating pussycat dolls. I love that Max took the title from him, and hammered the point home last season. The sport needs a villain, and the guy winning every week is a great villain to have.

I'd love to see LeClerc win a title one day. He's the loveable underdog now and once he wins a title or two we'll all have the same conversations about how much of dick he is. I'd be okay with all of that, just as long as he doesn't win any of those titles with Ferrari. Fuck Ferrari.

torga

Autocross Champion
the time penalty should be after the stop is completed instead of before it.

when it comes off the jacks then you do the hold.

I like this in theory, but I think that this may result in even more incorrectly served penalty penalties. I imagine the drivers are so focused on getting back out that perhaps muscle memory may take over the second the car drops off the jacks and they'll floor it.

To avoid this, maybe the penalty starts without dropping the car off the jacks. After the penalty, then they drop it.

hans611

Lost
I was thinking that, and trying to figure out why the rule is this way in the first place... serving the penalty first..?
Maybe back in the refueling days they where afraid they could serve the penalty while the car still finishes refueling? Or maybe simply bc its easier to time?

There shouldn't be a danger though bc that happens constantly, the jackmen could drop the car yet there could be traffic in the pit lane, so he can still be held back in on normal pit conditions...
They have the lollipop for that, or had, I think some teams eliminated it completely, but some still use both that and the red/green light...

I think the driver is trained to only look for that green light, not go after being dropped

torga

Autocross Champion
good point about the lollipop, i didn't think of that

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
you could always do the IMSA thing and actually have a penalty box at the end of the lane where you need to stop and be held.

1679354825233.png

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
I was thinking that, and trying to figure out why the rule is this way in the first place... serving the penalty first..?
Maybe back in the refueling days they where afraid they could serve the penalty while the car still finishes refueling? Or maybe simply bc its easier to time?
It is a lot easier to time. There is (almost) no judgement involved, start when the car stops in the box. Versus, when the car is dropped, but be sure there are no crew members still touching / working on the car. When fractions of seconds matter, I could see teams complaining that the timer didn't start soon enough.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
hes a cunt.

hes what happens when you've raised a driver entirely on the ayrton senna/michael schumacher "win at all costs" narrative without having the class associated with the others. just look at how he raced against lewis in 2021, all kinds of shit "tricks" that the only way both drivers wouldn't crash is if the other cedes position entirely.

generally you can be upset you didn't win the race but when your teammate is the one who wins and you come P2 you celebrate for a fantastic day for the team, not bitch about not coming in P1.
LOL

He was just whining how he had to drive thru the traffic (from the 15th spot). Hmm....I wonder how the other guys (have to) do it every weekend?
Sounds a little entitled.

And did he purposely drive to the pit lane instead of parking his car in the #2 podium spot?
If that doesn't say "I'm a poor sport & a brat".....I'm not sure what does 🤷‍♂️

I mean congrats on him to moving up to the 2nd spot from the back, but show some class.

hans611

Lost
It is a lot easier to time. There is (almost) no judgement involved, start when the car stops in the box. Versus, when the car is dropped, but be sure there are no crew members still touching / working on the car. When fractions of seconds matter, I could see teams complaining that the timer didn't start soon enough.

If the car is dropped and all the mechanics stop working on it at once, yeah it can work. Problem is there is over a dozen mechanics around the car, like 3 in each tire, there is a couple in the center that just hold to the sidepods so the car doesn't sway side-to-side when lifted on the jacks, others wipe-off the front wing and dig tire marbles from the brake ducts, etc... there is so many hands envolved.

Its also common for the car to be dropped too early, before the wheel nuts are fully tight, the car is then held by the lollipop and the mechanics gives it a couple more hits with the wheel gun, sometimes they don't catch it and you get the "unsafe release"...

The FIA would need to have eyes on so many people, it will be difficult for the team as well to adjust the timing if there is a mistake like that... its kind of a mess, I like the penalty box idea...

Last edited:

Thumper

Autocross Champion
you could always do the IMSA thing and actually have a penalty box at the end of the lane where you need to stop and be held.

View attachment 276073

I like that idea. It avoids the problems mentioned that the teams would complain about the timer after dropping the car.

Also, they need to enforce a time limit on the stewards. The question of his serving his penalty did NOT happen on the last lap, or even the last 5 laps. There is NO reason why it should not have been decided until after the race. Nothing says the rules are too complex and inconsistent than needing 30 minutes to decide if someone broke them.

5 minutes. If you can't figure it out then that rule is stupid complex and should be removed. If an incident occurs on the last lap, you hold the awards for 5 minutes while they sort it out then go. Enough of this "will review after the race" garbage unless it's a penalty that won't affect the results (like a team penalty, etc).

torga

Autocross Champion
I like that idea. It avoids the problems mentioned that the teams would complain about the timer after dropping the car.

Also, they need to enforce a time limit on the stewards. The question of his serving his penalty did NOT happen on the last lap, or even the last 5 laps. There is NO reason why it should not have been decided until after the race. Nothing says the rules are too complex and inconsistent than needing 30 minutes to decide if someone broke them.

5 minutes. If you can't figure it out then that rule is stupid complex and should be removed. If an incident occurs on the last lap, you hold the awards for 5 minutes while they sort it out then go. Enough of this "will review after the race" garbage unless it's a penalty that won't affect the results (like a team penalty, etc).

IIRC, stewards used to either have 25 minutes from the moment of incident or 'til the end of the race -- I forget which -- to come to consensus on a penalty. If no consensus, then no penalty. I'm not sure when/why that changed, it seems like the right way to do it.