GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 17:
Nothing happened.
This is going to be the most boring day.
Got to Vegas, saw some cool cars (Karma Revero anyone??)
Picked up my OBDeleven adapter, had some trouble getting it to connect.
Finally got it to connect, couldn't figure out how to input my pro code.
Finally figured out how to input my pro code but I had an invalid code.
Headlight bulb died. Contacted manufacturer and apparently I'm only the 3rd failure in 5 years, with no one else having a sudden, inexplicable failure like I did. Completely covered under warranty, two bulbs on order for 1 Day Air.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 18: the day of parts, sun, and donuts
So the night prior I ended up actually staying at a rest stop in Cali even though I needed to go back to Vegas. So I made my way back, without knowing where my package was. Only the UPS stores were open, and I knew it wasn't at one of them, but I figured they could at least point me in a direction. They sent me to one of two warehouses. Unfortunately, they one sent me to the other one. But once there I picked up the package with no problems and brought it out to my car where I immediately popped my hood and got to working. Replacement bolt, done. I went to do the bushings and billet arms but I realized I'm an idiot and that's all already upgraded by my dieselgeek shifter. So that stuffs getting returned.

But holy shit, the difference was night and day. Before, I would have tons of play, and when you hit the edge of the play, you could keep pushing and feel the shifter sort if bend, like forcing plastic to bend. Because of this plasticky flex, it was sometimes impossible to shift into 2nd. Now, it was crisp, precise, notchy. I haven't felt it like this in almost half a year, before I blew my motor. You knew exactly what gear you were shifting into and you knew exactly when you were in it, with a really satisfying *CLUNK* with every action.
IMG_20200603_114402.jpg
IMG_20200603_114831.jpg

Shifter fixed, I left for LA, with a really uneventful 4hr drive. Only stopped to get a new intake filter to replace my old one that went on a Weight Watchers diet.
Once in LA I grabbed my package and went to Hermosa Beach. Lovely weather, I finally understand why people always talk about California weather.
IMG_5318.jpg

I talked to the exhaust guy today, with some upsetting news that I kind of expected but hoped wasn't true. The exhaust (labeled as Blitz Nur Spec Ti) is actually just SS with 4 titanium tips. That was the tipping point. I was already kind of selling with this exhaust for the sole reason it was titanium. With the giant stock-style muffler, I'm just too worried about sound.
IMG_5317.jpg

However, I decided I'd sleep on it. I'm already fairly happy with the sound, except for the lack of pops, that my stock exhaust has, and this can only be an upgrade. Plus, it's extremely unique, and comes with a custom diffuser. So it's basically $750 for the exhaust and $250 for the diffuser. I think I'll end up snagging it after all.
IMG_5356.jpg

Decided to just start driving around downtown and this is where things get dicey. Cops EVERYWHERE, armed and blockading roads. Mandatory curfew. I'm not going to get into my opinions on this, because I want to save this thread from more arguing. Just that the response is insane.

Left downtown as fast as possible, I don't need to be caught up in that. Drive over to Mulholland Highway, only to once again be told this road I came here to drive is closed for construction. Really disappointed in that.
So I finally head back to the family friend's apartment, where I picked up my part, to shower before I found a place to sleep, then set off for Angeles Crest. I'd heard that this is where street races and car meets happen, almost exactly like in Initial D. Drive up and down and it was mostly people pulled over to sleep, except for two cars that could hear my blow off valve and were wanting their light for me to come over. This is where the fun begins.

It's two Mustangs, one from 2015+ the other from the generation just before 2005 (I'm pretty sure Gen 6 and 4 respectively IIRC. Used to be a mustang guy). 6 people chilling out. I pull up and we start talking about cars, and my trip. They rip some burnouts and donuts:
This was a 14yo doing his first donut and nearly putting it in a bank.
And uhhhhh... I did some donuts, too 😅

The older mustang was open diff and couldn't do donuts as well, but the newer one's LSD helped it get rowdy fast. Unfortunately I never got footage of the other donuts.
The older mustang also had some overheating issues. Some serious overheating issues. He lost all the water we put into his car 30 minutes prior and was pulling vacuum through his pipes. There's no puddle but I think there's a pinhole leak that's sending off steam. One of his rubber coolant hoses had so much vacuum in it it looked worse than our pancake pipe. I helped him fix a few things and told him to find the exact spot of that leak (we knew the area but couldn't find the hole) and fix it before he blows his engine, and keep jugs of water on him constantly. I also don't know enough about cooling systems so I couldn't talk for sure about what was wrong.

A few more donuts and I left for bed.

Oh, and I met a dog

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yikes that diffuser is ugly and no way in hell is that axle back exhaust system worth nearly a grand.

Hard pass. Save your money.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
🤷🏼‍♂️ I love the diffuser, it's got a Japanese vibe to it. And I'm a JDM boy who wound up with a GTI, my (affordable) dream car is a 1992 Mk3 Supra 2.5GT Turbo R. Only sold in Japan and was the only time the Mk3 came with a TT JZ.
I'm gonna see if he'll let me install it to hear the sound first. Figure I'll offer him $50 to let me do so, and that way even if I don't like it he'll have a sound clip for the next guy.
That said, Blitz is renowned for their exhausts. They aren't screaming fart can, they're actually rather subtle. My only concern is if the fat muffler will make it too subtle.
Worst case I'm not in love with the exhaust and next year I chop the muffler

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Also I forgot to mention what I did messing around in OBDeleven. It shows I'm making 2.2 bars of boost, which is absurd, but at least more reasonable than the 15psi my other app was showing. I'll need to get a gauge to know some exact numbers when I get home but it looks like between 20-25psi is the likely number.
Screenshot_20200603-134406.png
Screenshot_20200603-134519.png

@uglybastard I was able to get the seat heater retention to work 🤷🏼‍♂️ no idea why it didn't want to work when you were helping me

Also I always felt like the seat heater was insanely hot, and apparently I'm not alone? There's an actual adaptation to turn it down 😂 (bottom of list)
Screenshot_20200603-134519.png

I also turned on torque steer compensation. I know it supposedly is almost completely unnoticeable, but I have to try for myself, right? I get some minor torque steer, especially in third.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to adjust the wheel speed as someone said was possible. Though, I didn't delve too deep, nor did I actually look it up yet.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
it's got a Japanese vibe to it.
Thats why it is bad. Screams early 2000 FnF street racerz style.
That said, Blitz is renowned for their exhausts. They aren't screaming fart can
Oh I can tell it isnt that. But $750 is a little over the top. It isnt even a full system.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Also I forgot to mention what I did messing around in OBDeleven. It shows I'm making 2.2 bars of boost, which is absurd, but at least more reasonable than the 15psi my other app was showing.
Jesus dude, do some research before you post some times. 2100 mbar = 16 psi so the obd eleven and your cheap scan tool are telling you the same thing just in different units.

Both are going to give you the same reading as they are both reading off the sensor located up stream of the TB. You wont get a TRUE reading until you tap the manifold to a mechanical gauge.

Hmmm. 1 atmosphere = 14.7 psi ~ 1013 mb. 1000 mb = 14.5 psi.

So, using the 2150 example:

2150 - 1013 = 1037 * .0145 = 16.487 psi. Not a big difference, but this is the right answer.

Now you know for sure your car is stage 1 since your spec boost and actual boost are the same. 16 psi.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Have you tried calling all the major vendors and running your VIN like we talked about before? I know you said you called 1 or 2 but I forget which ones they were.

Unitronic
REVO
APR
IE
COBB
GIAC

Im sure theres a few others I cant think of

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Oh I can tell it isnt that. But $750 is a little over the top. It isnt even a full system.
Yeah, I know. That's what's been going through my mind. I figured $1k for a titanium exhaust is just flat out worth it, to settle on certain things, but $1k for SS I should get exactly what I want, like the afe power, APR, something high end.
But on the other hand, I'm a sucker for flair and quad titanium tips are not something you'll see on almost any other GTI. And the worst case with having a muffler is my neighbors don't hate me when I have to cold start a catless, mufflerless car at 6am.
I flat out told him no, but I'm starting to like the idea of it.

I'm gonna probably pass for now. I'd have to lug my old exhaust home anyway. There's a lot of ways I can spend 1k, especially after this trip. Maybe if it's there at the end of the month I'll buy and ship it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I did do my research. And I brought the receipts.
View attachment 175734
Yeah dude you are a genius.

Wait, forget something? Maybe subtract atmospheric pressure, numb nuts.

Honestly dude, youre one of the most stubborn and ignorant people i have ever tried to help with cars. all of your mistakes are your own and you constantly slag on companies and products when things dont go your way. If you actually listened to people here your car would run a lot better and youd save alot more money.

Frankly ill check myself out of your thread. Im done tryin to help you, it is a constant up hill argument.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Dude no one wants to listen to someone who's gonna be rude to them 🤷🏼‍♂️ you don't want to help me learn you just want to be right.
I'll definitely admit I didn't read the rest of your comment where you talked about atmospheric pressure. That one's on me. But it still doesn't make sense why my car hit boost way harder than yours.
If you want to check out, be my guest. If not, change your attitude or I'll continue ignoring your suggestions. No one else in this thread treats me like this, and I respect every one of their opinions because if I'm wrong about something they aren't a dick about it.
You act like the forum members everyone hopes won't comment in their thread because you're just tainting the community.
And you were so much nicer and completely different in person! Why is that changing behind a screen?

torga

Autocross Champion
But holy shit, the difference was night and day. Before, I would have tons of play, and when you hit the edge of the play, you could keep pushing and feel the shifter sort if bend, like forcing plastic to bend. Because of this plasticky flex, it was sometimes impossible to shift into 2nd. Now, it was crisp, precise, notchy. I haven't felt it like this in almost half a year, before I blew my motor. You knew exactly what gear you were shifting into and you knew exactly when you were in it, with a really satisfying *CLUNK* with every action.
So wait, you had the DG short shift before you replaced your engine? Did you re-home your shifter and adjust the linkages when you re-installed? Or just popped it back in and called it a day? If not, that could be a source of your problems.

Also I forgot to mention what I did messing around in OBDeleven. It shows I'm making 2.2 bars of boost, which is absurd, but at least more reasonable than the 15psi my other app was showing. I'll need to get a gauge to know some exact numbers when I get home but it looks like between 20-25psi is the likely number.
OBDeleven will show you absolute pressure, not gauge pressure. 2.2 bar (32 psia) - 1 bar (atm) = 17.4 psig