GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Ultimate "Driver's" Road Trip

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
So wait, should I be putting an upgraded intercooler high on my priority list then? I never see temps reach 200° even, they stay directly on 190° or a few degrees above when I'm running it hard.
I'm also not sure if the gauge is the right temp to be looking at.
I have a lot of mechanical and general knowledge, and I'm very intuitive, but I have limited specific knowledge. In fact I have just enough general knowledge to think I know things, and sometimes enough to think I'm right , even when I'm not 🤦🏼‍♂️
PLEASE don't use an un dampened pulley, you're only asking for problems and engine damage. Fluidampr is 100% the way to go.

And yes an intercooler should be up there if you want reliable consistent power. The temp gauge is your coolant temp and even then it's only a dummy gauge. Your IAT is not visible unless you have some sort of odbii device or a polarfis.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Also keep in mind that the PSI you see in your intake manifold will fluctuate based on outside temp, altitude etc. It's not just a standard "I have a stage 2 tune I should be at 20psi"
Forced induction is a huge mystery for me. Combustion engine? Gas + air = go. FI adds so much complication. It's not a bad thing, it's just something I'm wholly unfamiliar with.

Also adjusting the shifter way neither a success nor failure. I was only able to adjust FTB because STS send to be seized. I'll play around with it when I get home.
Tbh though, I'm not unsatisfied with the shifter accuracy and play. It's about 1in^2 of play. I'd like to bring that down more, but I think that'll be up to supporting mods, like a solid shifter bracket (which I forgot to include in my planned mods list). It's the perfect amount of notchy and stiff for a spirited DD.

One last thing. I'm dumb and forgot the CTS subframe insert will need a new bolt, I have the ECS poly bushing and that bolt is peculiarly larger than the one I was sent with my drivetrain hardware kit when I put the engine in. The head won't fit into the inset on the insert. Hard to explain but that mod can't happen until I get home, because I know for sure I have a leftover subframe bolt and I'm not ordering a new one

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Just called Unitronic and they said that this car was flashed Stage 2 in 2015 🙌🏼🙌🏼
Feels so good to finally have an answer.
That means it's 20psi boost, too, which doesn't match. The numbers I gave were probably not peak, which explains why they were so low.

You know, Cole........I'd be interested to know if that tune is really still ''on'' your car. What I mean is, previous owner bought it for your (his) car. Then the car gets sold, and now you have it. I have Unitronic also, so I know you can remove that tune with the dongle. I don't know.....stage 2....? I guess it could still be there but if you and JoeMama were driving each other's cars, I would think any stage 2 difference yours had would have been instantly noticed, instead of you wondering if you had a tune at all. I once had APR on a previous car. At the time I traded it I disabled the tune, resetting it back to factory spec.

As for an upgraded intercooler, if you're gonna be stage2 that's probably a real good bet. But, at the risk of repeating this again, remember that your numero uno thing on your priority-to-do list is that time bomb of a tensioner.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
You know, Cole........I'd be interested to know if that tune is really still ''on'' your car. What I mean is, previous owner bought it for your (his) car. Then the car gets sold, and now you have it. I have Unitronic also, so I know you can remove that tune with the dongle. I don't know.....stage 2....? I guess it could still be there but if you and JoeMama were driving each other's cars, I would think any stage 2 difference yours had would have been instantly noticed, instead of you wondering if you had a tune at all. I once had APR on a previous car. At the time I traded it I disabled the tune, resetting it back to factory spec.

As for an upgraded intercooler, if you're gonna be stage2 that's probably a real good bet. But, at the risk of repeating this again, remember that your numero uno thing on your priority-to-do list is that time bomb of a tensioner.
Without a doubt, I'm gonna start ordering parts tonight.
I think I wasn't clear on what I was saying. We both noticed a difference, and we were both pretty sure mine was stage 2 since his was 1. My boost came on and let off much harder than his. That's why I was confused with me having a comparable boost level earlier, but I think it can be attributed to both atmospheric differences and me not being on peak boost.

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Also the exhaust was never taking the place of the tensioner. I might be broke now but I'll have 3 paychecks once I get home, plus I have a lot in parts that I need to both return and ship to forum members. I was buying the exhaust on credit 😅I really wish I had asked him before I opened that new line and I can kick myself all day for that because I pride myself on my credit score, but hey, what's done is done.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Yikes, don't buy that exhaust. Buy an exhaust you know about and want, get some titanium tips, and have it welded on. You can make that diffuser relatively easily from the one picture that I saw.
Uni is very helpful with everything related to them. They tuned my R, and I have a good connection with one of their reps. highly recommended.
I ran a lightweight underdrive pulley on my 2.5 and had no issues, but I always see people vehemently advise against them on 2.0t's.
I don't think you can buy used uni connect cables, but don't quote me on that.
Also, the only hardware you NEED for your car is whatever the tuner (in this case Uni) recommends, something to keep in mind as you buy stuff. When you see recommended hardware for a tune, that is what they used to achieve their advertised results. Anything extra you have is just that, extra. Anything you're missing and you won't hit the numbers they are advertising, on average.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

You can get unitronic flashes without buying their cables, AFAIK.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
One thing confusing me about the Fluidampr pulley is it's sold as "decreasing the rpm drop when shifting with a lightweight single mass flywheel". Has anyone noticed this to be true, and if so, how noticeable? I rather like how quickly the RPMs drop, and I'm actually wanting to go even lighter (my previously installed Spec flywheel was 2lbs lighter than my current, and I want to return to that + 6 puck clutch, though that's way down there road).

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
You can get unitronic flashes without buying their cables, AFAIK.

Correct. I'm flashed with Uni cause we have a Uni dealer laptop at work and can flash Uni customers here (not during the pandemic, but normally).
When I had the lightweight underdrive pulley, my revs, both up and down, were significantly faster.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
The fluid-damper is not light. I put an oem sized one on my MINI & it really smoothed out the engine. A lighter crank pulley will remove some rotating mass, but since the mass is small & close the the center of the crankshaft mostly what you'll fee is the good old placebo effect. ;)

Cole2999

Autocross Champion
Day 19: PCH, baby!
Even with a late night, I woke up early as my body likes to do. Not much on the agenda so I decided to go see the Hollywood sign while I waited for my headlights to arrive.
IMG_20200604_095059.jpg

While in the home depot parking lot, I decided to adjust my shifter. Complex instructions, but thorough and easy to follow. Unless, of course, your end links are seized from age. I loosened both ends links and was able to adjust FTB, but STS was seized so I didn't adjust it.
Was seized. I'll get back to that.
IMG_20200604_162642.jpg

Got a notification my package was delivered. Install the headlights and the fog light resistors I added, and everything's good as new.
IMG_20200604_165406.jpg

I also downloaded an unofficial Android Auto app called GTA Radio, which let's you play any radio station from any of the GTA games, which I used to love. I was in LA and remembering some of the rock stations I'd listen to in the GTA version of LA and remembered someone made this app a couple weeks ago. Gave it a download and I've been listening nonstop. The "radio host" commentary between tracks gets me laughing while I get to listen to some epic rock songs:
If anyone's played GTA and has Android Auto (for your phone or car) and want a ton of nostalgia, here's the link.
IMG_20200604_171037.jpg

I decided there's no better time to get on the road on the PCH. Set off. Get a few miles down and suddenly lose side to side shifting. Remember when I said the STS link was seized? Well, it's not anymore. Being the forgetful fool I'm known to be, I forgot to tighten the STS bolts, and I knew this as soon as I lost shifting.

I was in 3rd, so I could still shift to 4th and back, but I was downtown so I pulled over in a street parking spot and finished what I started a few hours prior, though I lost a 10mm nut when it rattled off whilst driving. Hardware store will fix that, I'm not concerned running 3 bolts for now. Worst case I need to pull over and adjust it again lol

You guys remember when my screwdriver broke in the oil filter? Well I saved it and it saved me
IMG_20200604_112628.jpg

Wouldn't fit otherwise, and it's precisely the right diameter.

Also, for those of you working on your own car, these are what I use to organize bolts and sockets, they're perfect
IMG_20200604_122142.jpg

When I adjusted it, I tightened it up, and maybe too much. It sometimes takes 4 or 5 attempts to get into 1st or second. I know it'll wear in, which is why I'm not fixing it.

Shifter unintentionally readjusted, I'm off once again. Traffic was bad along some of the PCH, but it moved fast.
Didn't get many pictures. It was cloudy, and I just generally wasn't in the mood yesterday. I think it stemmed from my left knee, which is either developing arthritis or just really pissed I have barely moved it for 3 weeks.
You know it's bad when I chose the highlighted route over the fun-looking other one:
Screenshot_20200604-190448.png

Finished off the night getting high and cooking ramen at 10:30 at a rest stop, and eating "edible" cookie dough
IMG_20200604_230710.jpg
IMG_20200605_082419.jpg

And my very short route yesterday:
Screenshot_20200605-083925.png

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
The 1 near Malibu (well, pretty much all of it), is fucking gorgeous. There's a small, hidden area on the beach near Malibu called Pirate's Cove (near Point Dume Beach). You get to it by parking in front of random rich people's houses, then finding the ONE public stairway down the cliff (since everyone seems to have their own, personal stairs with NO TRESPASSING signs on them). Awesome, super hidden little beach. No people on a beach is rare by LA standards.

torga

Autocross Champion
chrome_6UfY8O8Jok.png

Also I was assembling this big, long joke for this, trying to find a GIF for each Mambo No. 5 chorus lyric (little bit of Monica in my life, little bit of Erica by my side, etc.), but I only found 3 of 8, and they weren't all GIFs and I tried to convert them from WEBPs or whatever but they looked awful and I got annoyed. I just want you to know that I tried.