GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top 10 Mk7 Mods

cb1111

Don’t get me wrong there’s lots of great mods out there that didn’t make my top ten list.

I personally enjoy track days & mountain runs, but the curvy stuff isn’t for everyone so I kept the list focused on stuff that applies to the masses and makes sense regardless of the car being a daily driver, a track car or a drag race set up (or even a little of each).

And this is where the issues with "top ten" lists come in. Everybody has a different driving style and everybody has different things they find "wrong" with the car.

there is literally only one universal mod that will benefit everyone and is most often overlooked - driving school. It is the only mod that automatically moves with you from car to car and actually gets better with age. A driving school will allow you to "out drive" modded cars where the driver hasn't been modded.

The one physical mod that is almost universal in the enthusiast community is tires - you know, those black soft black round things that are the only things connecting your car to the road.

Virtually everything else is personal preference.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You are almost single-handedly keeping the economy afloat right now. :)
AJ is literally keeping every MK7 company afloat right now.....I'm surprised he's not getting flooded with ads on his smart phone to buy more

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
And this is where the issues with "top ten" lists come in. Everybody has a different driving style and everybody has different things they find "wrong" with the car.

there is literally only one universal mod that will benefit everyone and is most often overlooked - driving school. It is the only mod that automatically moves with you from car to car and actually gets better with age. A driving school will allow you to "out drive" modded cars where the driver hasn't been modded.

The one physical mod that is almost universal in the enthusiast community is tires - you know, those black soft black round things that are the only things connecting your car to the road.

What's with arguing about this? Jake just put up a simple list of the most popular and recommended mods because people are always posting new threads asking what mods they should do. Driving school is a great tip but not everyone has the time, money or availability in their area.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don’t get me wrong there’s lots of great mods out there that didn’t make my top ten list.

Front brake air guides, front exhaust tunnel cover, skid tray or diesel aero cover, are three mods I can see you haven't done....😜... ;)

Also the rear lower arm covers from the MK8 Golf & rear subframe harmonic damper are the top two for any multilink 2WD rear...improves air flow/stability & quietens down the rear...

:cool:.....

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Didnt watch the video I presume 😂😂😂

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Didnt watch the video I presume 😂😂😂

😂😂Definitely didn’t watch the video (same as the “that won’t work” guy).

Every thread I’ve written to be informative is for the NEW guys who’re about to throw a dart at the mods list available on (insert big name website here) and start a spending spree based on absolutely nothing. I would expect to see someone order the full list in one shot, but rather to start at the bottom and gain knowledge here on the forums and in real life as they progressed. If they run out and buy 1-5 that’s a great starting point for literally anything you’d ever want to do (especially if you’ve seen the video and not just the pit board)

If you’re going to Skip Barber and ordered Öhlins before taking delivery of your car then I’d have to think you’re not gonna bother with this thread lol.

To the vast majority of Mk7/7.5 owners it’s a hot hatch, not a race car and they’d be embarrassed to even tell their family driving school is a requirement of owning a Golf. Yes, even as someone with tons of racing (not lapping, actual racing) experience I believe everyone can learn a lot by attending classes, but it’s also DEFINITELY not for everyone (much less so than this list applies to most).

cb1111

What's with arguing about this? Jake just put up a simple list of the most popular and recommended mods because people are always posting new threads asking what mods they should do. Driving school is a great tip but not everyone has the time, money or availability in their area.
...but they have the time and money to spend on mods?

cb1111

😂😂Definitely didn’t watch the video (same as the “that won’t work” guy).

Every thread I’ve written to be informative is for the NEW guys who’re about to throw a dart at the mods list available on (insert big name website here) and start a spending spree based on absolutely nothing. I would expect to see someone order the full list in one shot, but rather to start at the bottom and gain knowledge here on the forums and in real life as they progressed. If they run out and buy 1-5 that’s a great starting point for literally anything you’d ever want to do (especially if you’ve seen the video and not just the pit board)

If you’re going to Skip Barber and ordered Öhlins before taking delivery of your car then I’d have to think you’re not gonna bother with this thread lol.

To the vast majority of Mk7/7.5 owners it’s a hot hatch, not a race car and they’d be embarrassed to even tell their family driving school is a requirement of owning a Golf. Yes, even as someone with tons of racing (not lapping, actual racing) experience I believe everyone can learn a lot by attending classes, but it’s also DEFINITELY not for everyone (much less so than this list applies to most).
Of course I didn't watch the video - this is that idea that reading is overrated and you need a video for everything.

Here's a bit of a newsflash - most people don't have time to watch a video and it ca be distracting to others, but reading a post is far faster and a lot more private.

That said, the idea that going to a driving school is something to be embarrassed about or needs to be hidden from family is absurd. That is the fallacy of these communities - it is all about how much crap you can hang on your car to make it faster/handle better rather than getting to the root of the issue and making people better drivers.

Yes, I was lucky to get my driving school at Hockenheim and in a big Mercedes - but that driving school also saved my life a year later driving my government issue Chevy Celebrity wagon.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Front brake air guides, front exhaust tunnel cover, skid tray or diesel aero cover, are three mods I can see you haven't done....😜... ;)

Also the rear lower arm covers from the MK8 Golf & rear subframe harmonic damper are the top two for any multilink 2WD rear...improves air flow/stability & quietens down the rear...

:cool:.....

I helped a local install all the OEM+ flat bottom goodies, it just adds to much extra time to maintenance & pre/post inspections vs the benefits (my car is loud anyway between the Aggressive TBE, BFI stage 2 & DKM stage 3 twin disk). It’s not obnoxiously loud, but loud enough to drowned out what those items can cancel out.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Of course I didn't watch the video - this is that idea that reading is overrated and you need a video for everything.

Here's a bit of a newsflash - most people don't have time to watch a video and it ca be distracting to others, but reading a post is far faster and a lot more private.

That said, the idea that going to a driving school is something to be embarrassed about or needs to be hidden from family is absurd. That is the fallacy of these communities - it is all about how much crap you can hang on your car to make it faster/handle better rather than getting to the root of the issue and making people better drivers.

Yes, I was lucky to get my driving school at Hockenheim and in a big Mercedes - but that driving school also saved my life a year later driving my government issue Chevy Celebrity wagon.

Here we go.

I don’t “need a video” I’m an aircraft mechanic. That’s like telling a Navy seal he needs to attend a spinning class.

I made this video like a podcast, so you can literally listen to it audio only and get every bit of information as watching it. So while driving, running, pooping...whenever lol.

I do however have a YouTube channel and want to grow it. Look at DAPs channel, he literally makes a living off YT...you’re gonna shame me, someone who’s been here writing threads since 2011 for doing a video instead?

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
good write up, I think its pretty spot on. I would like to add my 2c honorary spot 11 (Cosmetics). I know the list is primarily performance, but... I know with just a few small few cosmetics the car can really look a lot cooler and more "racecar". Plus it add your own flare to your whip. I know the list wont change which is totally fine, not looking to get another youtube vid with straight face ;) but just adding a splitter, spoiler, and other things really do change the look of the car

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
good write up, I think its pretty spot on. I would like to add my 2c honorary spot 11 (Cosmetics). I know the list is primarily performance, but... I know with just a few small few cosmetics the car can really look a lot cooler and more "racecar". Plus it add your own flare to your whip. I know the list wont change which is totally fine, not looking to get another youtube vid with straight face ;) but just adding a splitter, spoiler, and other things really do change the look of the car

For people who want that kinda stuff they’re gonna do it way up the list anyway, this is just to point the new guys in the right general direction performance wise.
^This guy gets me.
If I’m on the forums there’s a good chance I’m waiting on something or pooping lol