GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

torga's Daily Build - black, 6mt, two-door shenanigans

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I bought an OEM metal bracket that was supposed to fit (checked 3 different websites to cross-ref the part numbers), yet it didn't fit. The holes to mount to the trans were just slightly in the wrong spot.
So I ended up installing the solid bracket bushings on the plastic bracket and haven't felt any play.
Luckily that metal bracket was only $18.
Any possibility of drilling the bracket to line them up? That bracket would be a much more affordable solution than the others

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

torga

Autocross Champion
Any possibility of drilling the bracket to line them up? That bracket would be a much more affordable solution than the others

Nah, it wasn't aligning in the wrong way and I'd have to drill out the already-thin portion. There's only maybe 1/8" between the hole and the edge of the bracket itself. Maybe this photo illustrates what I mean. The left scenario would've left me with metal to drill out. The right scenario, which is what I had, I can't drill out that thin part.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Nah, it wasn't aligning in the wrong way and I'd have to drill out the already-thin portion. There's only maybe 1/8" between the hole and the edge of the bracket itself. Maybe this photo illustrates what I mean. The left scenario would've left me with metal to drill out. The right scenario, which is what I had, I can't drill out that thin part.
F

torga

Autocross Champion
so Torga, how was czechia prague?

I was in Frankfurt, Berlin and Prague - all of it was excellent. Berlin was like a German NYC - tons of different kinds of food everywhere and great nightlife. Prague was definitely way more old world, since it didn't get bombed to shit in WWII like Berlin did. Tons of OOOOOLD buildings in Prague - I'm talking 600+ years old. Everything was beautiful and everything was cheap. The best beers were only 1-2 USD outside of the touristy spots. Speaking of beers, Czechia is on top of their game. Tons of amazing, delicious breweries and tap rooms to choose from.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I was in Frankfurt, Berlin and Prague - all of it was excellent. Berlin was like a German NYC - tons of different kinds of food everywhere and great nightlife. Prague was definitely way more old world, since it didn't get bombed to shit in WWII like Berlin did. Tons of OOOOOLD buildings in Prague - I'm talking 600+ years old. Everything was beautiful and everything was cheap. The best beers were only 1-2 USD outside of the touristy spots. Speaking of beers, Czechia is on top of their game. Tons of amazing, delicious breweries and tap rooms to choose from.

Somehow i randomly saw the light penciling at the top of your paper post and read Prague backwards, maybe it clicked cause im part Czech? lol

Wow you travel a lot, thats really awesome...go on you . Do you normally chzech bags or carry on? :iono:

1-2 USD not bad, yeah gotta avoid those touristy areas. Some good architecture there and i bet the food is great. I think the only place ive heard pretty much everyone agree that the food was terrible is Ireland. Ever been?

If the day comes when i finally plan my 1 month Europe trip, ill PM you for insider info :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy mustard, pickled food... only way to enjoy a lot of good dishes in czech, poland, germany etc....that sauerkraut and mustards mmmmmhhh

torga

Autocross Champion
Wrapped up the first gear getter install this morning and I also shimmed the pivot ball for the shifter arm. I ended up using the 0.012" gauge from my feeler set - it sacrificed its life for the greater good. I believe my shifter is now pretty much as rock solid as can be. At the top of the shift knob, there's maybe 0.5mm of play up and down, maybe 1mm of play left and right. Before the shim, it was about 1.5-2mm up and down, and 4-5mm left and right.

Here's how I shimmed it. I left a bit of a tongue so I could pull it out if need be.

Here's a photo of the wounded after I clipped it with a cutoff wheel.

torga

Autocross Champion
How's the driving impressions?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I think that the FFG and that shim did a lot for the minor play in the shaft assembly. Now every shift feels 100% solid and lightly notchy.

torga

Autocross Champion
Damnit torga. I just ordered the first gear getter and will shim that bushing while I'm in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I used 0.012", but that may be thinner or thicker for you depending on how worn that plastic cage for the pivot ball is.
Just pull up your shift boot so you can get a looksie at that pivot ball, then lightly jiggle the shift lever, in neutral - check if you can see the pivot ball moving within that cage. If so, you should shim it.

Getting that pivot ball cage out was a pain in the ass. Undo your side-to-side cable end to make it easier for you. You shouldn't need to re-home after doing this, either.

torga

Autocross Champion
Can torga get 1000 posts by september? stay tuned
I could spam the meme thread with enough memes to get there by tonight. But I'm HUMBLE.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info & pics on the Diesel Geek First Gear Getter. I'm going to go ahead and order hoping it will solve my ~1cm side-side play while in gear. So far this is my setup so I'm hoping the FGG is the last piece of the puzzle. Only other thing I can think of is cable end bushings but I don't want to remove the shift box or drill a big hole to install.

• Diesel Geek sigma 6
  • Diesel Geek shaft bushing
  • Billet Shift bracket bushings
  • Shimmed Shifter ball
  • ECS Pendulum mount & VWR Subframe puck
Also, I saw in another thread you were asking about the extra machine screw that comes with the Diesel Geek sigma 6. It's included so you can use it along with a washer to spread the cable ends when you need to remove them. They have a tendency to get stuck on the shift cables.

torga

Autocross Champion
Mystery solved! That makes sense. I'll be sure to keep that around in case I need to uninstall it in the future.
Wow, ~1cm seems pretty excessive; that's about how much play I had when I only had an ECS front-to-back short shifter. FFG would definitely help and I would double check your shim at the same time to see if you need something thicker. My side-to-side and front-to-back play is less by almost a factor of 10. You could even try readjusting your cable ends.

How's the pendulum mount treating? I'm planning on getting one. Initially planned on getting the APR one, but the ECS one has a similar design at 60% the price. That's a lot of upcharge to justify. I'll be pairing it with a BFI Stage 1 subframe insert.

Last edited: