GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ukraine: WAR Huh - What Is It Good For Absorootly Nothing

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't hate on boots on the ground. I have an idea of the risks but standing up against aggressors is a good thing.

see also Syria, Palestine, Serbia, Rwanda, etc etc etc

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Many people believe "sanctions" are just weak empty threats, they are not. It is a general term for an almost unlimited list of actions that could be taken to literally ruin Russia. It may not change Putin's course but it can burn down his country around him. Sanctions can starve them out financially, technically and even literally. It will however take time for them to work. We are talking months and years, not weeks.

However, because Russia is the number 2 producer of oil in the world, the west will also feel the pain if they stop buying that oil which is Russias source of income. There is certainly more to the subject but you can see why the sanctions such as removing them from the banking system which would keep them from getting paid for their oil (stopping sales) needs to be implemented AFTER alternate oil sources or plans are in place. That of course is a big deal for EU especially since they use a lot of Russian oil.

Putin has no qualms about starving his country. Russia can survive for a while with what they have. If Biden decides to grab his nutsack and cut Russia out of Swift, they'll find another way around it. Sanctions are symbolic and temporarily painful but they're not going to change the course of action.

Biden could, though, by cranking oil and natural gas production back up to at least pre-pandemic levels. We are producing about 11.4Mbbl of crude today. Peak pre-pandemic was 13.4 or so, with a capacity for, what I've been told, of around 15. Crank it up, flood the market, guarantee NATO partners product, and slowly starve Russia of their non-China income. He'll never do that, though. He is beholden to the climate kooks.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
LONDON -- Britain's Ministry of Defense says the bulk of Russian forces advancing on the Ukrainian capital Kyiv are more than 50 kilometres from the centre of the city.
VIENNA -- The International Atomic Energy Agency says the decommissioned Chornobyl nuclear plant reported higher-than-usual radiation levels after being taken over by Russian forces invading Ukraine.
Manufacturing a crisis to justify holding the area?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Honest question. If Russia bombed the shit out of the containment cap over Chernobyl, would there be enough radiation released to be an effective weapon in this insurgency?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Honest question. If Russia bombed the shit out of the containment cap over Chernobyl, would there be enough radiation released to be an effective weapon in this insurgency?
They're controlling Chernobyl already - no need to bomb it.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
They're controlling Chernobyl already - no need to bomb it.
Right, but how else could they release radiation quickly, and what kind of damage could it cause?

I don't know squat about nuclear. I'm an electrical engineer, laser welder guy.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
You're asking if it's possible to make a crude dirty bomb by bombing the elephants foot? I'm not a nuclear scientist but I don't see why not. Here's the rub, if it works that means they've irradiated thier own country, makes no sense to do so.

Corprin

Autocross Champion

It’s not an insurgency, it’s an invasion.

They are holding the Chernobyl exclusion zone because it’s the path of least resistance to cross the Pripyat River in Ukraine to access the north/west of Kyiv. Few want to go in there for a fight, I wouldn’t, and nobody is going to indiscriminately shell or rocket that area. I’m shocked the Ukrainians didn’t rig both the bridges in the area as a last ditch when the border was breached.

Russia doesn’t care if their troops die of various cancers in the next few years.

Last edited:

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Right, but how else could they release radiation quickly, and what kind of damage could it cause?

I don't know squat about nuclear. I'm an electrical engineer, laser welder guy.
I don't know the specifics of the Chernobyl containment, but the melted core is still making making fission products and needs to be cooled and containment pressure vented. Charcoal filters are standard equipment for that and all you have to do is bypass them or remove the filter element and you can vent low level contamination at will. They do not need to cause any damage to make it look like there's a leak.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't hate on boots on the ground. I have an idea of the risks but standing up against aggressors is a good thing.

see also Syria, Palestine, Serbia, Rwanda, etc etc etc
Palestine is controlled by Hamas, a terrorist organization. They want to push all the Jews into the ocean. So "Palestine" is the aggressor.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
You're asking if it's possible to make a crude dirty bomb by bombing the elephants foot? I'm not a nuclear scientist but I don't see why not. Here's the rub, if it works that means they've irradiated thier own country, makes no sense to do so.
Yes, that's exactly what I was asking, and I don't doubt for a second that Putin would give a shit about killing his countrymen.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Someone punched this SpecOps type’s off button. Nice AS Val trophy for that dude.

1645816458146.jpeg

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Yes, that's exactly what I was asking, and I don't doubt for a second that Putin would give a shit about killing his countrymen.
if the holodomor teachs us anything it's not to underestimate how cruel Russians can be to Ukrainians