GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah theyre heavy cars. I would say 2800~ is the limit unless you absolutely gut the car, light drivers seat only, no carpet/sound deadening, no windows/motors/no head unit, speakers etc. Even then you'd be lucky to hit 2700. A miata, these cars aint.

I used to drive a mk1 rabbit that was 1800 lbs. Them days are lonnnnnnnnnng gone.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yeah theyre heavy cars. I would say 2800~ is the limit unless you absolutely gut the car, light drivers seat only, no carpet/sound deadening, no windows/motors/no head unit, speakers etc. Even then you'd be lucky to hit 2700. A miata, these cars aint.

I used to drive a mk1 rabbit that was 1800 lbs. Them days are lonnnnnnnnnng gone.
Deleting the glass and all carbon fiber panels would very likely get me there but that's not realistic for me at least. The carbon fiber panels cost more than they are worth for me and I need glass because I drive it to and from track days. I'm pretty happy with it at its current weight. I still have speakers and won't remove those until I have a trailer and tow vehicle.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah it would be a dedicated track car at the point, which isnt really worth it for 100lbs weight savings.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Got the front bumper off, the battery out and most of the CAI out. Having a bit of time getting the PCV breather hose off the intake. That things a biatch.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah it would be a dedicated track car at the point, which isnt really worth it for 100lbs weight savings.

This is my thought process exactly. ~2800 gets you FRS weight. Its not light but its respectable. The car also really becomes VERY fun to drive.

My build has always been about walking the line between track car and daily. That line is razor thin and I teeter on either edge from time to time. But as it sits now I am comfortable putting 20k on the car every year and doing multiple road trips.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Damn. Really wondering what mine weighs now with no interior and a roll bar. I wonder if I can get it under 2700...

Do you have a sunroof?

No sunroof no. 3dr too.

I think you could get down to 2700 if you went gutted... but then your car is really miserable to drive. I had a friend who did that and he was immune to NVH so it worked for him...

Phur

Autocross Champion
I got mine back from the body shop yesterday.
E3066A5C-4051-43F8-9B9E-21386847C1EF.jpeg
6904EE45-35AA-420F-BA02-9388086CCA5B.jpeg
27C4E060-6615-458D-B077-676EF601FABC.jpeg
F7DAA2AB-62DA-4189-BD7F-79FFDC5C579C.jpeg
679C6DC5-8E2C-49DB-B5EC-A4C9FC8B1DE9.jpeg
6108B4E7-FF99-4853-9E4B-19B396BC8283.jpeg

Phur

Autocross Champion
The tint was done when I got the car, so I’m not sure.
I got my Edition 35 bumper with lip and golf r side skirts painted and installed. I had the center part of the bumper sprayed gloss black and had the rear valence smoothed and sprayed gloss black.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It looks better, don't get me wrong, but why not color match the lower grille insert (instead of the gloss black)?
The lower lip (insert) doesn't look bad in black though

And/or maybe the red strips in the upper grille?

Phur

Autocross Champion
It looks better, don't get me wrong, but why not color match the lower grille insert (instead of the gloss black)?
The lower lip (insert) doesn't look bad in black though

And/or maybe the red strips in the upper grille?

The Edition 35 came from the factory black. As does the lip. I feel like that horizontal expanse makes it look wider and more aggressive. There are plenty of examples on the ‘gram of people that have color matched theirs. I think that it looks really interesting and was actually planning on doing that before following Edition35 on Instagram, getting flooded with images of them (though none in UG) and finding that I like the black. I just prefer the wider look.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Under 2700 is hard. I'm at 2811 at the moment and really scratching my head on where I would for me another 100 that could come out. I do want to delete my front impact bar and replace it with a lightweight tubular but even that's only 30 or so.

I mean the fact that you got there with a 4 door is impressive. The sunroof is a decent amount of weight too.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I mean the fact that you got there with a 4 door is impressive. The sunroof is a decent amount of weight too.
I honestly don't think the doors add much. There's some extra electronics and door panels which are marginal but otherwise the amount of metal is about the same, just on the rear body panel instead of a door. I don't have a sunroof, on my buddies mk5 we deleted his sunroof and weighed everything, came out to 37 pounds. Would expect an mk6 sunroof to weigh about the same.