GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

torga

Autocross Champion
If you go to any car show & look at the cars that their owners used a Cali duster on. What do you see, lots of owner induced swirls. At one time I used one of those too, but I was shown the error of my ways by a detailer I respected. It went in the donation bag for the Salivating Army.

Just my .02 if you like them go for it.
What's the correct method for dusting?

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
If you 'dust' your car all you are doing is scratching dirt and silica into your paint.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
It is like people who use car covers outside to protect their paint. In theory you are shielding the car from the environment when in reality you are simply trapping dirt, rocks, and other debris under the cover so that whenever the fabric shifts you get new scratches and swirls.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Use a lubricant. I wipe down with a mico fiber cloth and 303 quick detail.

It's about impossible to not create swirls if you touch the car.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
As far as wash routine goes.... no swirls in my paint and it’s been a few years since I’ve polished.

My routine is basically to use Optimum No Rinse if the car is lightly dirty or go with a full standard wash with Meguiars Gold if it’s real bad. Always use a good microfiber mitt to wash and always dry with microfiber towels. Also every month or two I use a spray wax, applied with microfiber towels, it goes on and off so easily that doing it with every wash doesn’t add much time.

Aside from rock chips I haven’t gotten around to dealing with my paint looks great for 140k miles, even up close. I suppose it also helps that it’s always had a garage to park in.

*edit* I’m a liar, I went out and had a real close look with an LED light and there’s some really fine scratching that’s hard to notice without the light. I guess I‘ll have to get to that soon.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I cleaned my cars a lil bit.