GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I was wrong, you can do it on MQB cars, not the mk6.
Bummer. Might deep dive in vagcom again soon and see what else I can do.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Did you guys reused your old spring? It wasnt damaged and had plenty of tension.
Yes, worked great for me. My spring was in pretty good shape.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
If you polish a couple of areas, they likely won’t match. The difference when you remove swirl marks is pretty dramatic. What color is your car? I recommend Forensic Detailing and AmmoNYC videos on YouTube. They are a wealth of knowledge.
Make sure that you clay before you polish. Otherwise you will be installing more scratches when the contaminants in the paint end up in your polishing pad. A diluted mix of Isopropyl Alcohol works really well to remove the oils that are left behind from the polish. These can fill in a bit of scratches and holograms. If you don’t see them now, and seal on top, you will need to remove all of the work to try to get them out.

Car is White. You're saying do the whole panel at once, not break it up in to chunks?

My guide has me using a claying mitt before polishing, and includes the IPA wipedown between polish and seal. Given that this will be I think the first exterior detailing in 90K miles I'm thinking of compounding before polishing but as I understand it that's an optional step.

I use a Harbor Freight DA polisher and Mequire's 205 followed buy another Mequire's compound but can't remember the #. Comes out looking like a mirror.

You can see the mirror in this picture

That looks GOOOOOD. I've got the 205 as well. Can't remember which DA I bought.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Texas sucks because it’s so dusty. So even when it’s dry the car is only clean looking for a few days, and when it rains all the dust turns into a fine sludge that gets kicked up and coats the side and back of the car worse than I’ve seen in most places.

Parts of Florida and Alabama suck because of swamps and all the insects, then there‘s the pollen dump that goes on for a few weeks in the Spring. North Georgia is pretty great though, other than the Spring pollen dump cars can stay clean looking for a good while; not many bugs, dust isn’t a problem.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
Complaining about Seattle and dirty cars is a big ole LOL. Trying living in the midest or, worse, Canada.
Can say first hand trying to keep a car clean in Ottawa is impossible

torga

Autocross Champion
Texas sucks because it’s so dusty. So even when it’s dry the car is only clean looking for a few days, and when it rains all the dust turns into a fine sludge that gets kicked up and coats the side and back of the car worse than I’ve seen in most places.
That's exactly how New Mexico was, and it's why I kept a California duster in my trunk at all times. If I dusted every other day (or every day in the spring when the wind would kick up all the dust), the random desert rain sprinkle wouldn't look so awful, since there wasn't the usual film of dust on the car.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
That's exactly how New Mexico was, and it's why I kept a California duster in my trunk at all times. If I dusted every other day (or every day in the spring when the wind would kick up all the dust), the random desert rain sprinkle wouldn't look so awful, since there wasn't the usual film of dust on the car.
is it legal to use a california duster outside of california?

torga

Autocross Champion
is it legal to use a california duster outside of california?
Most states impose a hefty fine at the very least, but NM was ok with it.
When I lived in TX, a buddy of mine got 5 years with no probation for using a California duster. Texans hate Californians.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Most states impose a hefty fine at the very least, but NM was ok with it.
When I lived in TX, a buddy of mine got 5 years with no probation for using a California duster. Texans hate Californians.
not as much as New Yorkers (i learned this on King Of The Hill)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Texans hate Californians.
All I’m saying is....if California was so great, why are they all moving here like mosquitos? Also California drivers deserve a special place in hell imo.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
If you go to any car show & look at the cars that their owners used a Cali duster on. What do you see, lots of owner induced swirls. At one time I used one of those too, but I was shown the error of my ways by a detailer I respected. It went in the donation bag for the Salivating Army.

Just my .02 if you like them go for it.