GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who runs 19 inch wheels here? Thoughts?

geralis32

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey i am running 19 and honestly haven't noticed that much difference only slightly when going over tram tracks otherwise no difference

PS get the VMR710 best wheels ever

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Hey i am running 19 and honestly haven't noticed that much difference only slightly when going over tram tracks otherwise no difference

Ah yeah, it's the small bumps like rail tracks, pot holes and b grade roads that you notice it.

Ps aren't you running stock suspension? Scrubbing wouldn't be too bad but depends what offset as well.

Gene Hunt

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK 5 GTI
These are what you want,genuine edition 30 U.K market 18'' made by BBS. :drool:

Attachments

• AQ98DGUCAKNEZEPCAO91MZWCADD83Y1CAAAE3H1CAGVGFOSCAOQ1B6WCA9JZVEACAI6Y3XOCAUZ6T0ECAAQ3UTKCAMPWC71C.jpg
    AQ98DGUCAKNEZEPCAO91MZWCADD83Y1CAAAE3H1CAGVGFOSCAOQ1B6WCA9JZVEACAI6Y3XOCAUZ6T0ECAAQ3UTKCAMPWC71C.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 12,535

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Hmm interesting. 19s can look amazing though, but then agian I dont want to attract attention from cops etc.

You drive a Golf, and unless the copper owns or knows someone with a GTI, most will think it's a poofy hatchback for girls.

:thumbsup:

Jig

Flow Motion
Its mentioned a lot in our forum about rolling fenders, unscrewing the guards but I have no idea what ya'll are talking about? Do you have any pics of these to share as I too am planning on getting 19". Thanks in advance.

TimT

Go Kart Champion
Ah yeah, it's the small bumps like rail tracks, pot holes and b grade roads that you notice it.

Having run 19" Rims on my GTI for close to 2 years ive actually found that high frequency bumps are actually more comfortable on the bigger wheels. I think its due to them weighing 3 tonnes more than the stock 17s. The stock wheels seem to give a more "skittish" ride for want of a better term.

TimT

Go Kart Champion
tyre choice can make a big difference too yes. I didnt consider that!
My 17s still have the standard Bridgestone RE050s and my 19s have Kumho KU31s.

saad

Go Kart Champion
If all I need to do is roll the fenders, which is quite cheap, and remove a screw to make them run reliably when lwoered, I may go the 19s....far out i DUNNO!

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
Hey saad, if you've already gone ahead with the coilovers, my advice would be to chill on the wheels for a bit - wait for the coilovers to get installed and see how it drives for you when lowered.

If you wanna go really low, it's a good opportunity to get a feel for how the car & suspension react with the stock wheels/tyres re. handling, noise, stiffness, clearance (rubbing, scraping or bottoming out) issues. Then you will know which wheel & tyre sizes would be the best to go with. Trust me, once you're low enough you'll realise that you don't need a 19" on this car. And because you can run a 225 tyre on the 18's, you're less likely to need any fender rolling/pulling at all. :thumbup:

+ they will be lighter & cheaper than any equivalent wheel in 19". No to mention the cheaper tyres too! :headbang:

saad

Go Kart Champion
Yeah Im getting the coilovers first I think. Im just really over the stock wheels though and want something a bit more aggressive/somethign that stands out more!

I havent bought the coilovers yet, but will be next week - but its a touch choice between coilovers or wheels. 19s look crap on stock height though.

I suppose 19s will hamper m over taking ability, although tyres are maybe $100 per tyre extra, so thats $400 every 2 years extra, which isnt too much of a drama.

Ill be getting Federal RS Rs - of fifth gear motoring/sponsorship, can get a good price, and they are a great tyre - a LOT of people were running them yesterday at the Marulan track day.

saad

Go Kart Champion
Apex how low are you. The legal limit is 100mm i belive, are you that or slightly under?

saad

Go Kart Champion
Oh really dammit. Is the load rating a function of the car or the law? The tyres are street legal, so why would the load rating not be high enough?