GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who runs 19 inch wheels here? Thoughts?

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
Its mentioned a lot in our forum about rolling fenders, unscrewing the guards but I have no idea what ya'll are talking about? Do you have any pics of these to share as I too am planning on getting 19". Thanks in advance.

Hey Jig,
I can give you address of the guy that flared and rolled mine.. He is in Artarmon..
Frenchie and Rev555 have had there guards rolled there aswell and it's all done paintless and in a few hours..:thumbsup:

Last edited:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Oh really dammit. Is the load rating a function of the car or the law? The tyres are street legal, so why would the load rating not be high enough?

Not sure but just check in case the GTI is different (18" r32 requires 92Y).

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
Hey Saad,

19inch wheels are by far the best for looks for the R32, But i have found for atright performance and comfort the 18inch are the best..
I will be selling my 19inch BBS Black Edition in a few weeks when i get the
18inch back from the painters..:thumbsup:

This the 18inch wheels on the R32 when it was going to the Tuner Challenge..

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 2,297

RobGtSport

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW R32
anthony your my hero

do u smile when you look at the cars you have?

how many more cars are you going to beef up?

apmitchell74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R36 Twin Turbo Golf
anthony your my hero

do u smile when you look at the cars you have?

how many more cars are you going to beef up?

Thanks Rob,

Mate i can't stop smiling :biggrin: I am just forfilling my childhood dreams
and as long as my wife doesn't stop me i will keep going..:happyanim:
The secret is to make sure your wife has everything she wants then you are free to get what ever you want..:lol:

Jig

Flow Motion
Hey Jig,
I can give you address of the guy that flared and rolled mine.. He is in Artarmon..
Frenchie and Rev555 have had there guards rolled there aswell and it's all done paintless and in a few hours..:thumbsup:

Thanks APMitchell. Will PM you for it once if and when I get my 19".

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Must admit, Frenchies 19" BBS CH-B look awesome (apmitchells are the same i think only in black?) so if you don't mind rolling the guards could be good. I always assumed you'd have to take the wheel lining out, but does it have to come out?

Lightweight 19's would be ok, my comments were mostly directed at normal weight 19's as they would be heavier than stock.

Eitherway i'm a fan of one piece wheels that can accomodate a BBK (hopefully my OZ can being ET45, not that i can see myself doing it but nice to plan ahead).

saad

Go Kart Champion
Yeah i want to be able to accomodate a BBK too. The stock 17s are 23lbs, and the 19s from VMR are aroudn 25lbs so not too much heavier I suppose. But being my daily driver I dont want a terrible ride. Arghhh!

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
Hey Jig,

or you can also go to my guy.. he's workshop is not much to look at.. but he does an awesome job.. he did my R32 and S3... flawless and he does it soo nicely you wouldnt even realise it was rolled :)

and he charges a pretty reasonable price too :)

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
Yeah i want to be able to accomodate a BBK too. The stock 17s are 23lbs, and the 19s from VMR are aroudn 25lbs so not too much heavier I suppose. But being my daily driver I dont want a terrible ride. Arghhh!

if you wanna accomodate a BBK ... i strongly suggest you buy the right rims with the right offset... or you will end up with a heap of trouble like me when installing my BBK.

:)

personally if i were you... i would go the coil overs.... as for rims.. i would NOT go over anything bigger than 18inch rims..

something you need to consider.. if YOU intend to track.. 18inch are the ideal size...and semi slicks in 19inchs are VERY VERY expensive and from my discussions with people who track a fair bit.. 19inch may not always be the ideal size rims to run around a track. something about handling... feed back.. steering response etc.

some food for thought :)

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
Must admit, Frenchies 19" BBS CH-B look awesome (apmitchells are the same i think only in black?) so if you don't mind rolling the guards could be good. I always assumed you'd have to take the wheel lining out, but does it have to come out?

Lightweight 19's would be ok, my comments were mostly directed at normal weight 19's as they would be heavier than stock.

Eitherway i'm a fan of one piece wheels that can accomodate a BBK (hopefully my OZ can being ET45, not that i can see myself doing it but nice to plan ahead).

greg when they roll the guard... they fold the lip.... in thats under the wheel guard and pull it out.. they also cut/fold back any jutting bodywork joins... (dunno the correct terms to explain)

saad

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I think Ill be going coilovers next week (ordering then) then wheel early Jan. For tracking i will be putting the stock 17s back on. These wheels are more for looks. 19s can look amazing but a lot of drama too, although if i get the guards rolled seems to be OK.

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
if ur future mods include bbk you may find your standard 17 will strugge to fit them in