GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
ALK is installed. Will do the fender screw mod in the morning and then put the wheels back on. l‘ll update build thread with driving impressions. 🙏 hopefully my alignment is okay.
View attachment 176078

For the curious the weight of the arms with the bushings and brackets on is.

GTI - 7 lbs 12.4oz
Passat - 6 lbs 3.7oz

So hardly anything but it’s so nice having the new bushings in and being able to swap the arms out. I might press new ones into the GTI arms and sell them.

And those are super pro? Also, is that 02 wire hanging or just looks weird in the pic?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
And those are super pro? Also, is that 02 wire hanging or just looks weird in the pic?

Yes SuperPro. Went with them because someone was selling a set BNIB. Was originally going to go with the BFI ones which are rubber so they might be a little better ride, IDK.

https://blackforestindustries.com/c...rol-arm-brackets-w-ttrs-solid-rubber-bushings

Yes that is my O2 sensor wire that I should probably tuck up so it doesn’t get snagged on a dead critter or something. Good eye 👍

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Is there a way to delete it if so can you link me, I,m trying to install a catch can

There was a OEM pipe, from the Tiguan, that would delete it. And then there is a filler plate for the firewall too. Kit here, for example:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/noise-pipe-delete-kit/1k0145770n~kt/

DIY thread from 10 years ago (WOW! :eek:) that I made:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-tiguan-pipe-install-noise-maker-delete.201128/

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
ALK is installed. Will do the fender screw mod in the morning and then put the wheels back on. l‘ll update build thread with driving impressions. 🙏 hopefully my alignment is okay.
View attachment 176078

For the curious the weight of the arms with the bushings and brackets on is.

GTI - 7 lbs 12.4oz
Passat - 6 lbs 3.7oz

So hardly anything but it’s so nice having the new bushings in and being able to swap the arms out. I might press new ones into the GTI arms and sell them.
That's over a pound in unsprung weight!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Keep an eye on those Polyurethane bushings in the control arms. It doesnt happen alot but they can split and crack over time under hard driving.

Sleepy6

Some catch cans with africa plates DO replace the PCV.

I have to ask is the catch can and Afrika plate better or worse for the engine than just running the standard pcv? The catch can kit I was going for is out of stock anyway and my pcv is failed so I ordered a replacement. Just wondering for future mods.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I have to ask is the catch can and Afrika plate better or worse for the engine than just running the standard pcv? The catch can kit I was going for is out of stock anyway and my pcv is failed so I ordered a replacement. Just wondering for future mods.
jury is still out on if it makes a difference, big picture. if you get one with an africa plate, there is no PCV to fail if you run one that routes through the PCV and back to the intake manifold, there is a part that can fail.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I havent seen anyone run an Africa Plate successfully long term on these cars. The reason the PCV exists (among many reasons) is it works to regulate crank case pressure. Africa plates tend to cause more problems than they fix in this regard.

As for Catch Cans, I think its snake oil but some people swear by them. If you do get a Catch can anyway, make sure you get one that actually has proper baffeling and such. Alot of them are literally just plates with holes drilled in them..

Carbon build up is just part of owning a DI engine and the only real solution I have seen work is prevention of build up by using W/M injection. I suppose running dedicated E85 would also keep them pretty clean.

/edit

also keep in mind if you get a catch can and live in a cold climate you can destroy your engine if you dont remove the can in winter or warm the oil some how.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I swapped filters on my cars today. Why should the 1.8t get the bigger filter, thats bull shit I say. So I stole my wife's filter. It barely fit but moar air moar race car

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I havent seen anyone run an Africa Plate successfully long term on these cars. The reason the PCV exists (among many reasons) is it works to regulate crank case pressure. Africa plates tend to cause more problems than they fix in this regard.

As for Catch Cans, I think its snake oil but some people swear by them. If you do get a Catch can anyway, make sure you get one that actually has proper baffeling and such. Alot of them are literally just plates with holes drilled in them..

Carbon build up is just part of owning a DI engine and the only real solution I have seen work is prevention of build up by using W/M injection. I suppose running dedicated E85 would also keep them pretty clean.

/edit

also keep in mind if you get a catch can and live in a cold climate you can destroy your engine if you dont remove the can in winter or warm the oil some how.
Going on 5 years of running a catch can/africa plate on my car, I was blowing OEM PCV's left and right after I put a k04 on, the catch can solved that for me. I don't really drive it in winter months though.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Yeah i could see that resolving the issue. Grabbing that $30 upgraded diaphragm would have probably done the same.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I looked into the whole catch can thing when my PCV failed... The threads I went through at the time seemed to hint they were good for short term only. Could probably replace quite a few diaphragms for the cost of a “real” catch can, however.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
On that note, has anyone ever tried washing out the oils from the bottom of their IC? Seemed like another thing those catch can fellows do 🤷‍♂️