GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 civic Si vs. my 06 MKV at the track

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wantagti said:
That's my point. Bench racing is useless. You're one of the only ones who's posted a time. Talk is cheap and it's funny how many excuses come out at the track, if the other party even shows up. I only did it in fun, but got sick and tired of crap talkers either no showing or running stupid numbers with 18 excuses.
trust me i know exactly what ur talking about
Wantagti said:
Good job to you!!
thank you sir

VDUB725

Ready to race!
Teknophreak said:
Not trying to "get" you. Just pointing out that the car tested had LC. It doesn't matter anyway - what's .3 of a second in the real world??

Prove it. What real evidence is there to support this claim? A bunch of fanboys posting it doesn't make it true. Again, it comes down to the new SAE method of calculating HP. Under the old method, the car would probably be rated a little higher. (not 220HP) It doesn't mean VW underrated the engine.

I'm not going to argue this with you because you come across like an amped up 16 year old. Pretty soon you're gonna claim that the GTI (which, btw, I own - looks like you're driving a Saab) will do a sub-14 sec 1/4 mile. Even funnier will be that you think it matters...:rolleyes:

I don't consider what you say because it doesn't account for all the facts. If your so hell bent on running with your SAE method of calculating HP theory which is current, then how does this account for underrated 1.8t's from VW 5 to 6 years ago?

Yea I drive a 2.0T Saab 9-3 Aero. Doesn't mean you know anything more about VW's than I do, especially if this is your first. As I've said, I had a mid 13's 1.8T, and yes the new GTI will easily do a sub 14 sec 1/4 mile with a chip, intake, full exhaust, and a few other minor upgrades. And your on a enthusiast forum, and are acting all high and mighty about how 1/4 mile times don't matter? Some people live at the track, so your opinion, while I happen to agree, just makes you an easy target of criticism since it's obvious you don't enjoy spirited driving.

dmclone

Oval Champion
Even though I chose the GTI I would like to point out one cool thing about the Si. No it doesn't have a ton of torque but that makes for a very fun vtec switch-over. When vtec engages it's almost feels like you're adding another motor. On the 99-00 Si's if you combined it with a CAI it would just scream and put a big smile on your face. The Si is one of those cars that's not real fast but will give you the allusion that it is. I had a 350Z and if you were to just listen to the 2 cars you'd think that the Si was faster. Of course the Si didn’t put you back into the seat like the 350Z did.

If you’re used to driving crotch rockets the Si is very similar in its delivery.

Both the GTI and Si are great cars. I test drove both and was biased towards the Honda but came out buying a GTI. It’s a lot about what you like and the risks you’re willing to take. Here is what I came up with.

Styling-I’m 34 years old and when I had the 99-00 Si I always felt like it was a little bit boy-racer and I think the new Civic is even more so with the wing. I still think the styling on the 99-00 Si was better then both cars. I like the GTI styling but don’t love it. Dropping a few inches will helpa lot though.

Interior-For some people this doesn’t matter. I have to drive it to work everyday so it does matter to me. The interior of the GTI is better by far. The only thing I like better on the Si is the redline light and the aux input which are very minor.

Motor-I love high reving engines like the Si but after driving the GTI I knew that it was a better more powerful motor all the way around. I also played into this factor that HP would be easy/cheap to come by compared to the Si if I ever decide to do anything.

Trans-This was also a big selling point for the GTI. The Si has a pretty good 6sp but the DSG is the best.

Reliability-I have no doubt that the Si will win this battle. To look past this I considered 2 things. I’ve never kept a car for more the 2-3 years so I’ll be covered by a warranty. Also you have to take some risks in life. It’s kind of like woman. Sure the 35 year old decent looking but kind of boring woman with a good job is reliable and ok but if you had to be with someone for 2 years wouldn’t you pick the super hot 21 year old that is only employed part of the time but great in the bedroom. I don’t need the money that bad, give me the 21 year old.

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
VDUB725 said:
And your on a enthusiast forum, and are acting all high and mighty about how 1/4 mile times don't matter? Some people live at the track, so your opinion, while I happen to agree, just makes you an easy target of criticism since it's obvious you don't enjoy spirited driving.

LOL!!! I don't enjoy spirited driving??? What is more fun than blasting through a nice stretch of twisties? My comment about 1/4 mile time is more in reference to the fact that the more important thing about the car is how you feel driving it day to day. I doubt many people here spent ~$25K on a car to go tear it up at the track. There's so much more to the GTI than straight line speed. (it's not really all that fast)

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
dmclone said:
It’s kind of like woman. Sure the 35 year old decent looking but kind of boring woman with a good job is reliable and ok but if you had to be with someone for 2 years wouldn’t you pick the super hot 21 year old that is only employed part of the time but great in the bedroom. I don’t need the money that bad, give me the 21 year old.

LOL!!! i like that comparison!!! give me the 21 year old too!!! :clap:

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
Just seen my first 06 Civic..black and very smart looking but looks too "nice", too much chrome and reminds me of the Astra but with a makeover.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Shovels said:
Just seen my first 06 Civic..black and very smart looking but looks too "nice", too much chrome and reminds me of the Astra but with a makeover.

I don't like the European Civic hatch at all, and I'm very glad we didn't get it in the US.

GTI2007

Indeed, the European Civic looks really ugly to me also. Look for yourself:

Attachments

• civic_wallpaper_2_800.jpg
    civic_wallpaper_2_800.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 220
  • civic_wallpaper_3_800.jpg
    civic_wallpaper_3_800.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 225
  • civic_wallpaper_4_800.jpg
    civic_wallpaper_4_800.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 218

dogg2k78

Passed Driver's Ed
blackmkv said:
yes we have turbo's to help us but they have higher compression and weigh 500lbs less. and again he had exhaust and his engine was broken in. i on the other hand weigh alot more, im bone stock, and my engine isn't even broken in. im glad i bought my GTI. and as for the 200fi we actually produce 225hp with a pee size turbo... its been proven.

Hey I'm a honda guy! Why everyone hating on honda's! I also got the new GTI, well actually its my girls, but i drive it alot

I know that Si can run alot quicker than that because I have a 99 civic Si and I ran 15.1 with exhaust, intake and Pulleys. I have got to stand up for the Honda's, I don't think that dude could drive!

No Hate Here!!!

gti=sexy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
STI
F Hondas. jk lol. I used to have one myself. Its kinda funny to see how no matter what car you own, cheaper than $100k, you get these haters. eh, stupid ego crap. neways yeah, back to the original guys post, good job! I want to go to the track, but first i think ill wait till i have a few more miles on the engine, only 3010mi so far.

AlainLeon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Dubdr said:
"yes we have turbo's to help us but they have higher compression and weigh 500lbs less. and again he had exhaust and his engine was broken in. i on the other hand weigh alot more, im bone stock, and my engine isn't even broken in. im glad i bought my GTI. and as for the 200fi we actually produce 225hp with a pee size turbo... its been proven."

Everything I have says 200hp. But what do I know, I only fix them for a living. And like I said at over 500lbs with a turbo they would have beaten us.

im not sure i understand your logic...as far as i know, HP is HP...regardless of what method used to get to that point, 200 HP is the same across the board...the difference will be made other places such as the weight of the car, and the skill of the driver....now if you're referring to adding a turbo ON TOP of the already 200 hp honda civic engine...then yeah that would be different...but it wouldnt be a fair comparison any more would it?

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
AlainLeon said:
im not sure i understand your logic...as far as i know, HP is HP...regardless of what method used to get to that point, 200 HP is the same across the board...the difference will be made other places such as the weight of the car, and the skill of the driver....now if you're referring to adding a turbo ON TOP of the already 200 hp honda civic engine...then yeah that would be different...but it wouldnt be a fair comparison any more would it?

I think he's pointing out that our GTI's horsepower ratings are grossly underrated. Most dyno figures have shown 200 hp, 207 ft-lbs. torque to the wheels.