GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 civic Si vs. my 06 MKV at the track

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Dubdr said:
Front wheel drive cars loose 15-20% through the drive train. I guess we just come from too diffrent camps, I don't think that you can compare na to fi. I just don't do it. Like I said before I didn't want to take anything away from your win, I am sorry if I did. I am sorry if you guys hate it when "people say" but the way that my friends and I race, we don't compare what we consider unlike cars. Again, sorry didn't mean to offend anyone.

Well, again the SI and GTI are very "LIKE" cars. The way they make power uses different approach, but the two cars in question are very like and compete directly.

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
autox said:
another thing... vw doenst need to cut weight, they make HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!

Well, this just goes to show how much you do not know about cars or handling.
The weight is one of the reasons why the SI outhandles the GTI and why the SI gains on the GTI as speeds get higher.
Man, there a lot of you just flaming and making comments as if you're speaking out or your exhausts. :biggrin:
Chill.

T

moruh

Passed Driver's Ed
its better we put together on track GTI vs Type R, i'm sure GTI will lost... i got both GTI and DC5 type R... my stock MK5 GTI DSG takes 6.8s to 60s.. DC5 - R... 5.2s to 60s.. both car r great!

dmclone

Oval Champion
moruh said:
its better we put together on track GTI vs Type R, i'm sure GTI will lost... i got both GTI and DC5 type R... my stock MK5 GTI DSG takes 6.8s to 60s.. DC5 - R... 5.2s to 60s.. both car r great!

I assume that the type R is modified since no stock type R can come close to those numbers.

VDUB725

Ready to race!
GTT said:
Well, VW is claiming 200hp at the crank, so that's the point of reference.
There is nothing concrete out there that every GTI is putting out 225hp to the crank and getting 200hp at the wheels. That's from a couple of examples and we'll need more before we get a better representation.

Not all GTI's are getting 200hp to the wheels considerin that many accel test are putting some of these car in the high 6's and lower 7's. If the engine truly has 225hp at the crank then it's sad that it gets to 60 in a long 7.1.
T

What's this guy blabbering about 7.1? Did car and driver not pull a 5.9 0-60 in a DSG bc I'm positive Road&Track did pull a 6.3 0-60.......

This shit is so funny

Honda Civic SI
195 hp
139 tq

VW GTI 2.0T
200 hp *
207 tq *

*Underrated

NOW THIS IS WHAT MATTERS, the overwhelming majority of people having this argument and involved in this convo are enthusiasts that MOD THEIR CARS!!!!

Honda Civic SI + $500 Mod
208 hp *
141 tq *

*Roughly

VW GTI 2.0T + $500 Mod
260 hp
300 tq

I'll take double the tq please...... I wonder what would happen if both cars were rolling in 2nd gear and whacked it? The GTI takes a dump on the SI's chest if it's modded.

There is no need to say, "Civic's Ugly!!" or "Civics Suck!" because obviously those are opinions. The ricers might think the GTI is ugly or the GTI sucks, but the fact of the matter is, the GTI is a much better way to achieve performance.:headbang:

dmclone

Oval Champion
BTW-I used to own a 00 Si and considered an 06 when I bought the GTI. 0-60 and 1/4 times didn't mean anything to me since they are so close in performance.

If I never would have driven the GTI I would have bought an Si and been happy with it. Honda makes some strong motors but you really need to put a lot of $$$ in them for serious hp.

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
not sure what si he is talking about,, the gti wins at the skidpad and the slalom, and braking, and 0-60 and 0-100 and 1/4 mile, and about any other handling test you want to compare. Of course this is stock not modified!!

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
Yeah, but my penis is longer than yours! Guys, guys, guys, can we get over the 0-60 and 1/4 miles times as a measure of how "good" our cars are? If I wanted a fast car, I could have saved some cash and bought an SRT-4. Most professional reviews I've read say the SI is a better track car due to it's chassis and gearing. It also is faster above 90mph AND I'm pretty sure it would take a manual GTI at the strip. (or be very close) Why not just like your car because you think it's <insert adjective>.

This thread has turned into the ultimate teenage boy pissing contest. Time to grow up.

I raced a car on city streets - we should all race on city streets.

IBTL :laughabove:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I was thinking of using a similar analogy...

You may have a bigger penis but you girlfriend begs for mine...so who really wins?

I say again...if you buy a Honda you still have a Honda.

Teknophreak said:
Yeah, but my penis is longer than yours! Guys, guys, guys, can we get over the 0-60 and 1/4 miles times as a measure of how "good" our cars are?

IBTL :laughabove:

moruh

Passed Driver's Ed
turbo vs NA... of course if u mod GTI sure can beat NA bcoz lot of mod can be done... but NA.. not much... i spend almot USD20k for my DC5 r i can reach only to 325hp (mugen CF bodykit, Mugen LSD, 5.0 final drive, launch controller,Hondata K-series Pro ECU, Greddy oil catch tank, Toda H/S clutch,Toda type C camshaft, Defi Full set meter, mugen carbon bonnet,
Tein electronic suspension EDFC ,HKS earth cable, 17"Volk rims)... my friend same spec but with apexi stage 3 turbo package put to his DC5 r only go up 350hp.... if GTI i'm sure a lot can be done.. eg evo... small $ large out put!!... but i still keep me GTi virgin... its fun to drive... DC5 weakend only due tu clucth... very wild!!

GTT

Touring Car Champion
VDUB725 said:
What's this guy blabbering about 7.1? Did car and driver not pull a 5.9 0-60 in a DSG bc I'm positive Road&Track did pull a 6.3 0-60.......

This shit is so funny

Honda Civic SI
195 hp
139 tq

VW GTI 2.0T
200 hp *
207 tq *

*Underrated

NOW THIS IS WHAT MATTERS, the overwhelming majority of people having this argument and involved in this convo are enthusiasts that MOD THEIR CARS!!!!

Honda Civic SI + $500 Mod
208 hp *
141 tq *

*Roughly

VW GTI 2.0T + $500 Mod
260 hp
300 tq

I'll take double the tq please...... I wonder what would happen if both cars were rolling in 2nd gear and whacked it? The GTI takes a dump on the SI's chest if it's modded.

There is no need to say, "Civic's Ugly!!" or "Civics Suck!" because obviously those are opinions. The ricers might think the GTI is ugly or the GTI sucks, but the fact of the matter is, the GTI is a much better way to achieve performance.:headbang:

Who this guy? :smile:
I shall try to address your question
Yeah, 7.1. Do your homework before coming off like that.
The GTI has a broad range of 0-60 times. C&D got 6.0 not 5.9, or should we keep going lower and lower? That time is THE single best time I've come across. Also, since no other publication has come close to that number, then we'll still cite it but it has to be recognized as NOT a definitive number to use. US GTI's seem to achieve slightly better accel times falling in the low 6 to mid 6 second range. VW even says the GTI manual is a 6.8 sec. car and that's pretty good for a manufacturer claim where it's listed to be conisistent rather the best time acheived.
There have been GTI and GLI times in the low 7 range, again, those are not indicative of typical performance just like the 6.0 C&D time isn't.
Thus, the VW published numbers are good. It's very possible that some engines produce greater power than others.
The nature of a turbo engine is that is can produce significant power increases given fuel quality and air temp/atmospheric conditions. Still, VW uses the SAME SAE standards that other manufactures use. If indeed the power of the GTI were that much greater VW would be advertising it. There is NO reason to underate the power if their engines are consistently putting out the power. Using some dyno's we've seen, it appears the crank output would be somewhere in the 225hp range.
That's 12% MORE than what's listed as stock. Given the crazy advertising VW is using, I'm sure their "Fast" would want to advertise the greater power number if it were consistent.

So, that's what I'm "blabbering" about. If you would have read to understand rather than to flame you would have got it, but I hope I've cleared it up for you now? Good. :wub:

Your last statement is one of preference not of reality. Overall performance includes such things as handling, braking, ride, noise, reliability, etc... and not just a few tenths quicker to 60 or in the 1/4.
And, there is no reason for you to come on here and be rude to me like that.

In general:
Yes, we here prefer the GTI for our own reasons. However, it seems obvious now that we're starting to get a good number of "fanboys" posting and ranting silly, unknowing, inexperienced, and rude comments.

T

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
moruh said:
turbo vs NA... of course if u mod GTI sure can beat NA bcoz lot of mod can be done... but NA.. not much... i spend almot USD20k for my DC5 r i can reach only to 325hp (mugen CF bodykit, Mugen LSD, 5.0 final drive, launch controller,Hondata K-series Pro ECU, Greddy oil catch tank, Toda H/S clutch,Toda type C camshaft, Defi Full set meter, mugen carbon bonnet,
Tein electronic suspension EDFC ,HKS earth cable, 17"Volk rims)... my friend same spec but with apexi stage 3 turbo package put to his DC5 r only go up 350hp.... if GTI i'm sure a lot can be done.. eg evo... small $ large out put!!... but i still keep me GTi virgin... its fun to drive... DC5 weakend only due tu clucth... very wild!!

Nice DC5R you have there, but only the Hondata Kseries ECU and Toda cams were power mods, i can see that u were spending alot money on some nice name brand stuff from japan. $20K USD is alot for malaysian to spend!! you must be a rich kid! I will be in Malaysia this april! can i see your DC5R?

GTT

Touring Car Champion
4GSixty3 said:
Nice DC5R you have there, but only the Hondata Kseries ECU and Toda cams were power mods, i can see that u were spending alot money on some nice name brand stuff from japan. $20K USD is alot for malaysian to spend!! you must be a rich kid! I will be in Malaysia this april! can i see your DC5R?

Love that 4G63 engine. :biggrin:
Did you keep the Evo and get the GTI for daily driving?
Or, did you rid the EVO and get the GTI?

I still have a thing for the EVO. I was considering getting a used model and spending some coin on getting a better suspension to tune it for daily driving along with some more street friendly tires. That car is awesome, simply awesome and fun to drive. It's the most fun car I've driven in years.

I've seen picts of the EVO X and I'm going to have a hard time staying away, but then why fight it? :biggrin: Of course, that's a few more years away.

T

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
GTT said:
Love that 4G63 engine. :biggrin:
Did you keep the Evo and get the GTI for daily driving?
Or, did you rid the EVO and get the GTI?

I still have a thing for the EVO. I was considering getting a used model and spending some coin on getting a better suspension to tune it for daily driving along with some more street friendly tires. That car is awesome, simply awesome and fun to drive. It's the most fun car I've driven in years.

I've seen picts of the EVO X and I'm going to have a hard time staying away, but then why fight it? :biggrin: Of course, that's a few more years away.

T

The Evo is my weekend car, i bought the GTI for my daily commute needs and chips and springs will be the only mods on the GTI as i do not want to ruin the super comfortable driving characteristic of the GTI.

Yup, u are right, the EVO give u a lot of road feel and really connects the driver and the car, a very fun car to drive. $2K is all u need to get it into the 350whp range.