GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 civic Si vs. my 06 MKV at the track

Faster2.0

Go Kart Champion
Here's a quick question. By no means am I trying to downplay the GTI as I own one but, the 197 bhp that Honda advertises is not to the wheels right? Then with the little torque that they make they are doing something right. I have owned two Hondas in the past and zero defects. This year I think VW just made a car more to my liking.

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Faster2.0 said:
Here's a quick question. By no means am I trying to downplay the GTI as I own one but, the 197 bhp that Honda advertises is not to the wheels right? Then with the little torque that they make they are doing something right. I have owned two Hondas in the past and zero defects. This year I think VW just made a car more to my liking.

Yes, the Si horsepower is rated at the flywheel.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
I'll take the added weight and better ride. I don't remember the last time I noticed .06 difference on the last turn into my subdivision. I am considering the Si sedan just because I like the dash and rear end much better and a two door Si would never work. I'm hoping the wifey will ok me buying a car before september, then I won't even wait to drive the Si sedan. I also like being able to choose what I buy versus being told what I can have.

Deagle

Touring Car Champion
sublyme said:
Not sure how it works there in the US, but over here the reaction time doesn't contribute to the 1/4 mile time as the time only starts when you actually start going.

Reaction time is measured from the second that the light goes green, hence you can sit there for 10 secs after the light goes green but your time won't start yet till you start moving. It just means you'll get a 10 sec reaction time.

Makes sense... Well then, the 60' times at least have an affect.

VDUB725

Ready to race!
GTT said:
Yeah, 7.1. Do your homework before coming off like that.
The GTI has a broad range of 0-60 times. C&D got 6.0 not 5.9, or should we keep going lower and lower? That time is THE single best time I've come across. Also, since no other publication has come close to that number, then we'll still cite it but it has to be recognized as NOT a definitive number to use.T

Well GTT, me saying Car and Driver pulled a 5.9 when it was really a 6.0 isn't really that much of a mistake now is it? I remmeber somebody testing the DSG and getting a 5.9 and the manual and getting a 6.5. I've watched just about ever single video on the new GTI and read almost everything published so for me to make that mistake isn't so ridiculous. And when a car has done 6.0 0-60 it's not unfathomable that I read someone did a 5.9........

I'm currently reading Road and Track and they tested the DSG GTI vs. the Mini Cooper S and the new SI. Road and Track achieved a 6.3 0-60 on the GTI and a 6.6 0-60 on the SI. The GTI pulled off a 14.8 second 1/4 mile and the SI did a 15.0 second 1/4.

So why do you keep bringing up these high 6 second numbers and even a 7.1 0-60? Obviously the person that obtained the 7.1 can't drive and has no business testing out a car that's clearly capable of besting that time by 1.1 seconds. And if you noticed, the American version of the DSG has yet to come with Launch Control. Realizing this, don't you think that if 2 car mags can achieve 0-60 in 6.0 and 6.3 seconds, that if launch control was used, it could best those numbers?

GTT said:
VW even says the GTI manual is a 6.8 sec. car and that's pretty good for a manufacturer claim where it's listed to be conisistent rather the best time acheived.
There have been GTI and GLI times in the low 7 range, again, those are not indicative of typical performance just like the 6.0 C&D time isn't.
Thus, the VW published numbers are good. It's very possible that some engines produce greater power than others.T

Mid to High 6 second 0-60's for a manual transmission.......YES
Mid to High 6 second 0-60's for the DSG..........................NO
LOW 6 second 0-60's for the DSG.................................YES

GTT said:
Using some dyno's we've seen, it appears the crank output would be somewhere in the 225hp range.
That's 12% MORE than what's listed as stock. Given the crazy advertising VW is using, I'm sure their "Fast" would want to advertise the greater power number if it were consistent.T

UHHHH Car Companies underrate car engines. Especially Volkswagen. The early years of the 1.8T were underrated. They had the car at 150 hp and cars were dynoing above expected power. But I guess you wouldn't know that since you drive a 325i.........:middlefinger:

GTT said:
Your last statement is one of preference not of reality. Overall performance includes such things as handling, braking, ride, noise, reliability, etc... and not just a few tenths quicker to 60 or in the 1/4.T

Yea dude, I always include the ride quality and a cars decibel levels for the interior and exhaust in performance discussions........:eyebulge: WOW....

GTT said:
In general:
Yes, we here prefer the GTI for our own reasons. However, it seems obvious now that we're starting to get a good number of "fanboys" posting and ranting silly, unknowing, inexperienced, and rude comments.
T

Yea man.......I'm real inexperienced. I'm barely 6 months out of of a severly modified 2003 GTI 1.8t and getting into an argument with a guy driving a BMW 325i. Yea man......You are CLEARLY more experienced with Turbo Charged VW's..........

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Being faster ain't what it's all about in my book. My Z28 ran 12.05 @ 118.8 and I don't miss it. I'm looking forward to getting a GTI. Many of you won't be able to duplicate magazine times, so what does it matter what they run, what have YOU run???

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
VDUB725 said:
Realizing this, don't you think that if 2 car mags can achieve 0-60 in 6.0 and 6.3 seconds, that if launch control was used, it could best those numbers?

Actually, the 6.0 time was on a European model using launch control. That's probably about the best this car will get. The North American model isn't going to do a 6 sec flat run. 6.3 is the best I've seen and is pretty impressive given the more typical 6.6 sec runs. (DSG)

And why would a car company underrate the HP on a car??? That's a major selling point. Perhaps it is because there a different methods used to measure HP? A new method was introduced this year that actually lowered the rating on many cars. Google 'SAE horsepower ratings' and put your ass in the know before you go popping off like you know something.

VDUB725 said:
Yea man.......I'm real inexperienced. I'm barely 6 months out of of a severly modified 2003 GTI 1.8t and getting into an argument with a guy driving a BMW 325i. Yea man......You are CLEARLY more experienced with Turbo Charged VW's..........

How old are you???

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
Wantagti said:
Many of you won't be able to duplicate magazine times, so what does it matter what they run, what have YOU run???
i just showed you:laugh: . and im not planning on duplicating,, i will beat most car magazine times on my 6 speed.... anyways,, ease up guys we're all car fanatics which means we're all on the same team here!

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
That's my point. Bench racing is useless. You're one of the only ones who's posted a time. Talk is cheap and it's funny how many excuses come out at the track, if the other party even shows up. I only did it in fun, but got sick and tired of crap talkers either no showing or running stupid numbers with 18 excuses. Good job to you!!

VDUB725

Ready to race!
Teknophreak said:
Actually, the 6.0 time was on a European model using launch control. That's probably about the best this car will get. The North American model isn't going to do a 6 sec flat run. 6.3 is the best I've seen and is pretty impressive given the more typical 6.6 sec runs. (DSG)

And why would a car company underrate the HP on a car??? That's a major selling point. Perhaps it is because there a different methods used to measure HP? A new method was introduced this year that actually lowered the rating on many cars. Google 'SAE horsepower ratings' and put your ass in the know before you go popping off like you know something.

How old are you???

HAHA, the only thing you got me on is Me not reading the Car and Driver Article recently. Ok so it was a Euro Spec Car, DSG with Launch Control. Next years will have launch control in the U.S. and i'm sure modders will find a way to put it on their 2006.

That being said. Why would a car company underrate the HP? I can't answer that, but they did. Insurance? That's a possibility..... or maybe.......just maybe.......

IT'S BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO USE THE 3.2 6 CYLINDER STILL!!!!

Think about it, how many LESS people would buy the MK V R32 or the A3 S-Line if they knew their cars were only putting out 25 more hp, and they wanted roughly $7k-$12k more for those cars..... You think having a slightly nicer decour and AWD would still warrant that much more $????

Just wait till a bigger engine is offered, for arguments sake we'll say when a 3.6L R36 is offered. They'll put 280-300 hp in it, then offer a 2.0T in a gti and claim 230 or 240 hp. They'll make minor ecu, and exhaust mods and the car will barely feel different bc the cars now are coming with over 220 hp. Why do you think the original 1.8t's in the MkIV's were said to have 150 hp but didn't feel much different from teh 180 hp ones? Maybe it's because VW UNDERRATED THEM AS WELL!!!! I'm guessing you've never been around the 1.8t Technical Forum on Vortex.....

To answer your last question.....Clearly i'm old enough to write that ^ and immature enough to insert this :middlefinger:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
VDUB725 said:
HAHA, the only thing you got me on is Me not reading the Car and Driver Article recently.

Not trying to "get" you. Just pointing out that the car tested had LC. It doesn't matter anyway - what's .3 of a second in the real world??

VDUB725 said:
That being said. Why would a car company underrate the HP? I can't answer that, but they did.

Prove it. What real evidence is there to support this claim? A bunch of fanboys posting it doesn't make it true. Again, it comes down to the new SAE method of calculating HP. Under the old method, the car would probably be rated a little higher. (not 220HP) It doesn't mean VW underrated the engine.

I'm not going to argue this with you because you come across like an amped up 16 year old. Pretty soon you're gonna claim that the GTI (which, btw, I own - looks like you're driving a Saab) will do a sub-14 sec 1/4 mile. Even funnier will be that you think it matters...:rolleyes:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Teknophreak said:
Not trying to "get" you. Just pointing out that the car tested had LC. It doesn't matter anyway - what's .3 of a second in the real world??

I'm not going to argue this with you because you come across like an amped up 16 year old. Pretty soon you're gonna claim that the GTI (which, btw, I own - looks like you're driving a Saab) will do a sub-14 sec 1/4 mile. Even funnier will be that you think it matters...:rolleyes:

That's really what that guy comes across as.
He's not reading what others are posting as potentially something to consider. He just seems to see everything and everyone arguing with him. Young...and FAST. :bellyroll:

T

black2.0t

Drag Race Newbie
i wish you guys would talk more smack about domestics than imports, i considered the civic until i seen the torque ratings on the MKV