GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
I read that option 2 is basically a non-starter, specifically for the Japanese GP. That's coming from the committee that handles the Suzuka contracts with the FIA. Their reasoning is they like having the Japanese GP when it is because it's in a part of the calendar that is likely to result in a title-deciding race, and they won't budge from that preference.

That’s stupid

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I read that option 2 is basically a non-starter, specifically for the Japanese GP. That's coming from the committee that handles the Suzuka contracts with the FIA. Their reasoning is they like having the Japanese GP when it is because it's in a part of the calendar that is likely to result in a title-deciding race, and they won't budge from that preference.
I guess that's a fair reason from Suzuka (although more unlikely nowadays). Although I'm curious if that would still be the case if the race ended up like Spa in 2021.

Isn’t George Russell on some board for the safety of driver’s he should be out there publicly shaming the FIA for nearly killing Gasly.

Again, I’m not absolving gasly of all fault. But there were a LOT of common sense decisions that could’ve been made by the people in charge that would have prevented the whole thing from ever occurring at all. Especially after the FIA went on a “safety” rampage over Lewis’s nose ring.
FIA and common sense don't seem to go hand in hand. Imagine how many real issues could be resolved if they spent all the time they do worrying about Hamilton's piercings, on something impactful. I'm still waiting to see the bs 'penalty' they assess RB for its cost cap infraction.

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Probably a fine. But honestly I’ll be shocked if there’s a penalty at all. It’s RB’s time to shine. MB has moved out of the spotlight, and They’re the darlings right now.

I’m also not seeing the point of the coat cap anyways. The same teams that have always been at the front will be at the front whether they’re spending 500 million or 150 million. And the the same back of the pack teams are still at the back of the pack.

torga

Autocross Champion
Probably a fine. But honestly I’ll be shocked if there’s a penalty at all. It’s RB’s time to shine. MB has moved out of the spotlight, and They’re the darlings right now.

I’m also not seeing the point of the coat cap anyways. The same teams that have always been at the front will be at the front whether they’re spending 500 million or 150 million. And the the same back of the pack teams are still at the back of the pack.

Because the teams that used to spend $500M are still riding those development coat tails and enjoying the residual advantages. The effects of the cost cap will become more apparent as time goes on. It was never meant to be an immediate flip or mix-up.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Because the teams that used to spend $500M are still riding those development coat tails and enjoying the residual advantages. The effects of the cost cap will become more apparent as time goes on. It was never meant to be an immediate flip or mix-up.

Isn't this year also the first year that reverse-order wind tunnel/research allocation goes into effect? That will (hopefully) be pretty interesting for next year.

--

The RB overspend penalty will be interesting to watch. I guess some folks in the know are saying it happened because of things like catering and sick pay/overtime, not on parts, development, or other car-performance related stuff.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Isn't this year also the first year that reverse-order wind tunnel/research allocation goes into effect? That will (hopefully) be pretty interesting for next year.

--

The RB overspend penalty will be interesting to watch. I guess some folks in the know are saying it happened because of things like catering and sick pay/overtime, not on parts, development, or other car-performance related stuff.
Yes, it is the first season for the wind tunnel time vs WCC position.

Cost cap is cost cap, doesn't matter what drove you over the limit. See meme below. lol

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Yes, it is the first season for the wind tunnel time vs WCC position.

Cost cap is cost cap, doesn't matter what drove you over the limit. See meme below. lol

Funny meme, but I disagree. The discussion needs context, which I doubt us plebes are ever going to get. A couple of baseless theoreticals with silly numbers for illustration:

- F1 avg mfg and R&D costs are $90M. Top spender is $100M. RBR spends $80M across those categories, but also decides that they want A5 wagyu and beluga caviar at every meal. Catering declares a force majeure and charges them an additional $7M. RBR is found to have exceeded cap by 5M.
- Consider the avg mfg and R&D costs above. Second top spender is $100M and RBR is found to have spent $110M and exceeded cost cap by $5M.

Scenario 2 is a much bigger deal IMO. Without knowing each team's Total Spend and % Spend by category there's no way to judge what harm was potentially done to the rest of the field.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Cost cap is cost cap. Everyone else managed to do it.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I think either way you look at it, the cost cap was exceeded and as stated above, everyone else managed just fine. If the cap is to not be exceeded in any manner, then RB didn't manage to accomplish that.

On one hand it should be black and white. You exceed the cap, you are assessed the penalty; say exclusion from the WCC that year. Tough to justify excluding the results for the whole year just because they like to wash their caviar down with champagne. The problem the FIA need to avoid is landing solely on a monetary fine and it simply turning into a luxury tax for the big teams that can afford it.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Looks like Singapore's layout will be changed for the races going forward due to redevelopment, looks like T16-19 are gone. Not mad at it, should reduce some of the low speed spread we get between teams.

Old:

New:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I like it. This year was my first time seeing a Singapore GP and it felt too slow or even tedious.

I wonder if they'll move DRS Zone 2 from the bridge to 14-20 to mirror zone 1.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I could see them playing with the idea of adding a 3rd zone after T14. They just need to make sure there is only one detection point for those two zones.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I could see them playing with the idea of adding a 3rd zone after T14. They just need to make sure there is only one detection point for those two zones.

Kinda like the Aussie setup then. I like it.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Race week, can't wait to hear all about the cost cap. :rolleyes:

I kind of prefer the non-American races solely for the sake of being able to watch them in the morning and have the rest of the day. But, it'll be interesting to see how far up the road Max finishes from everyone and the battles amongst the rest of the field .

95gto

Go Kart Newbie

--

Since doing anything like a disqualification will be too extreme a punishment for the governing body to stomach, even though that was one of the threatened penalties. I think they should fine the team and then penalize them developmentally. Overspending gives you an advantage from a car development standpoint, so impose reductions in wind tunnel and/or test time for the team in the following season. If they don't make this kind of thing hurt when the teams do it, Toto is right to say they should intentionally break the rule and just face the minor slap on the hand.