GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had to change rear wheel bearing hub yet?

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Taking the cap off:

Not sure that any moisture got inside. Cap came off easily with a pliers. Now to wrestle that bolt out.

Just to be clear 133 ft/lbs plus 180d when tightening the new? I'll try and get some pics up when I have the old bearing off.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
As I took removed the old bearing. You can see a stain but it was just as smooth as all other areas of the spindle surface. Anything else is dust. In the last week the rear seemed to get noticeably louder humming than previously. Hopefully there is no further noise.

Tightened down to 133 ft/lbs and as we were doing the 180 we hear a snapping sound. Looked to see and we had sheared off a few teeth of the M16 bolt. We stopped tightening at that point.

jpawl

As I took removed the old bearing. You can see a stain but it was just as smooth as all other areas of the spindle surface. Anything else is dust. In the last week the rear seemed to get noticeably louder humming than previously. Hopefully there is no further noise.

Tightened down to 133 ft/lbs and as we were doing the 180 we hear a snapping sound. Looked to see and we had sheared off a few teeth of the M16 bolt. We stopped tightening at that point.

How did this work out? I would have crapped my pants upon hearing the snap and busted teeth on the bolt.

I intend to tackle this very job this week after buying a torque wrench and a securing a fence pole. :biggrin:

Jim

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
How did this work out? I would have crapped my pants upon hearing the snap and busted teeth on the bolt.

I intend to tackle this very job this week after buying a torque wrench and a securing a fence pole. :biggrin:

Jim

Jim

Yea we were a little nervous at first but it was just a few teeth that had been sheared off the bolt.

As to your question about was it solved... Well immediately after installing the hub I put on my winter tires. The sound did go away but there have been a few times were I think I can hear it. Winters are a much softer compound so maybe that could mask some of the noise. Alternatively it could have been that wheel or the summer tires.

I think it's one of those things that I would have to tear apart a bunch of components to get to the bottom of it and I'm not sure it's worth it. I'll probably just have to live with it unless it get's worse again but so far with several thousand on it it hasn't been as loud as what it was prior to replacement.

As long as you have a long pole (at least 4ft) and a solid 1/2" M16 triple square you'll be fine. I made sure to have my brother hold the M16 securely in the bolt (as there is some play and we didn't want to strip it) while I lifted on the pole to break it free. We had to use this method to get the bolt most of the way out.

jpawl

Thanks Natalie. I am installing the passenger rear bearing now. New brakes too.

Jim

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I hope not, but still think Natalie's may have another issue...only time, and the life of the new hub bearing, will tell. Fingers X'd here :wink:

BTW...I used the handle of my floor jack on the breaker bar and do not do the extra 180° turn on the bolt using the torque wrench...do that with the breaker bar(3/4" drive preferably). Keep the head bit firmly inserted while tightening...use an extra set of hands holding it in if needed.

Natalie

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I hope not, but still think Natalie's may have another issue...only time, and the life of the new hub bearing, will tell.
Roh - I don't for one minute disagree with you. Even with the soft snows on now I still hear that harmonic sound at 70-80mph. If this bearing eventually follows the same fate as the last, all it likely means is that there is something else that isn't right which is causing the bearing to wear prematurely.

Would seem like something is either loose or out of tolerance and with the right combination of speed, road surface the correct frequency of harmonics is met and I start to hear the "vibration" sound.
:iono:

Always fun chasing those never ending noises...

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I hope not, but hanging in for results. In the mean time...keep the pressure, alignment, and balance right in the tires.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So just an update on the SKF rear hub I installed some 9 years ago, and all is still good. I purchased two rear hubs at the time thinking the other may go bad soon but it hasn't. So I have one on deck should it happen...knock on wood.