GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Computer build help

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I don't know why people try to go for max FPS. If you're running at a minimum of 60FPS, it'll be smooth enough. I remember when 40FPS was good enough for me (because I couldn't afford better hardware). The average human eye can't distinguish any difference above 60; it varies slightly for some people, I like at least 75.

THAT being said, if your hardware can comfortably run current games at 1080p at max settings at a ridiculous framerate, you're more or less future proofed for a good while up to the point where your hardware can't maintain 60 FPS.

I don't remember the single monitor numbers, but I only get around 30 fps in WoW on my triple monitor setup with a GTX 670. It takes a LOT of card to hit 60 fps in many games at 1900x1200.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I don't remember the single monitor numbers, but I only get around 30 fps in WoW on my triple monitor setup with a GTX 670. It takes a LOT of card to hit 60 fps in many games at 1900x1200.

Especially if you're driving multiple monitors, because it's that much more field of view the card has to render.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Wait a minute...how has THAT changed?!

You need to buy better cases, bro. The Corsair 500r is really easy to work on and I had no cuts, scrapes, or problems.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Well yeah, the higher end cases are generally nicer. I was speaking in general...a $30 steel case will probably have sharp edges.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Now that I've cleaned my whole desk area, and unplugged the rats nest of wires to put everything back together neatly.... I'm officially NOT in the mood to build a new computer.:eek:

Not really though, everything should arrive tomorrow according to UPS and FedEx. Not really sure why they shipped 3 packages using 2 carriers, but whatever.

Still looking around for different programs to monitor hardware temps and performance. Anyone know of some good ones to try out? I've come across some in my search, just wondering if there are some I've missed with my piss poor google-fu.

ehancock

Ready to race!
Hwmonitor is super light weight and has a "mobile" version that doesn't require install so I have that on my work flash drives and I use it myself. Hwinfo64 is more in depth and lots of people like it. Sometimes I just use MSI Afterburner to monitor my gpu temps and utilization. It really depends what I'm doing.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Coretemp is free and runs in the background but be careful during the installation as it wants to install some other freeware too. Just unchecked every box while installing and it just runs in the background for you.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Dammit, FedEx, as always, is on top of their game, so I have a new monitor and case just sitting here getting lonely.

I am liking the Corsair 500R so far just by looking at it's features. Only thing I don't like is no real manual. Not exactly sure where all the wires area supposed to go exactly on the mobo.

UPS better get it's ass in gear, I'm getting impatient. I WANT MY NEW TOYS!

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Each of those wires has a jumper on the end that's labeled, the tiny faint arrow or triangle is the positive lead. Your motherboard manual will have the positions where they go. The board itself is labeled but it's usually really tiny. There's a pin missing from that little space where they stick up to give you a reference point.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Each of those wires has a jumper on the end that's labeled, the tiny faint arrow or triangle is the positive lead. Your motherboard manual will have the positions where they go. The board itself is labeled but it's usually really tiny. There's a pin missing from that little space where they stick up to give you a reference point.

Yeah, I spoke too soon. I didn't flip them over to see the labels.:eek:

I do have 1 question for you though Do Work Son, since you have the 500R. The female connection to what looks like the front fans, where should that go? All the header fan connections would need the male end, not female. did you need to buy an adapter to connect that or am I missing something.

Sorry for dumb questions, this is still just the 2nd PC I've ever built.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
There are little 4 pin headers on the motherboard for them labeled SYS_FAN I think, just make sure you get the CPU fan in the right spot. Also there's a switch on the front of the case to turn the front fans/LEDs on and off, you'll find this box very quiet but that can help when you leave this PC overnight to queue a bunch of DLs like my massive Steam backlog.

I have actually given up on Win8 last night and bought another OEM Win7.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
There are little 4 pin headers on the motherboard for them labeled SYS_FAN I think,Win7.

Yeah, I know where the fans go, but the clip isn't that type. In the picture below it's the connection on the left. I would need it to be the connection on the right for it to fit onto the motherboard, that's what's confusing me since it should be the connection for the fans. And I can't seem to find a a male to male wire anywhere.

This build isn't very difficult, but it's proving to be a pain. I can't seem to find the right adapters to connect all the fans to the mobo. Need to get 2+ fans to 1 mobo fan header. And I must have ordered the wrong CPU cooler because the mount for the Hyper 212 won't fit into the mobo either.:(

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Okay your CPU socket is 1155 or 1156, check the box for compatibility and sometimes they don't ship every adapter in the box. You might have to order one from the website but I'm not familiar with Hyper, my Corsair water cooler came with everything.

On the motherboard there are little 3 or 4 pin male connectors sticking up that say SYS_FAN, your fan connectors should be female and they slot right down on them.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Why'd you give up on 8? With classic shell or something similar it's the same as 7 with some performance improvements.

I'm not a Hotmail or Live user other than my Xbox so most of Win8's features are lost on me. The Metro interface isn't suited for a mouse and there's still plenty of software compatibility issues. My Samsung SSD software doesn't support Win8 yet for example. I bought another OEM Win7 but I'll keep my 8 around for a couple of years down the road when support improves.