Dogs

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Got myself a monster yesterday.

View attachment 297577
View attachment 297578
View attachment 297579
View attachment 297581

I really hope I can break her of some bad habits. She's a very sweet, friendly, and playful dog. She doesn't have much chill though. It takes a while for her to relax and lay down. It wasn't until about 9pm last night that she finally laid down and took a nap.

The people at the shelter kept saying she's been passed up because she's high energy. She's not out of control high energy though. I haven't had her for 24 hours yet, but I feel like she's starting to learn.

I wasn't sure how potty training was going to go. She had a couple accidents on the patio and an accident in the house within the first couple hours of her getting home, but after that she's done good. She had no accidents last night. She let me sleep until about 8am before she started getting in my face, and no accidents during the night.

View attachment 297580
Her history is that she was a street dog, emaciated and missing fur. The shelter got her like this and they've had her for almost a full year. She's about 1 year and 8 months old, so most of her life was in a shelter that holds nearly 1k dogs. Weighs about 42 lbs. They had her listed as a lab/retriever mix. I think she's got a bit of pit in her though. I feel like half her weight is in her rear legs, it's crazy how muscular those things are for a 40lb dog. Some of the things she does kinda reminds me of how my friends pit acts too.

When I saw how confident and playful she was at the shelter I thought she'd make a really good dog, but we got some work to do.

Gorgeous dog! Great heart to rescue too! We almost rescued when in CO....single soldiers headed to S. Korea had to give up their dog so there were a ton of 1-2 year old pups that needed homes. We have 2 labs and our 15 year old lab is about to pass.......we've been talking about rescuing again.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Kudos to your shelter for getting her that healthy. Many wouldn’t have made that effort. And of course, kudos to you for continuing her story.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Kudos to your shelter for getting her that healthy. Many wouldn’t have made that effort. And of course, kudos to you for continuing her story.
All I've done so far was brought her home. She arrived at the shelter emaciated like that in January 2023 and no ones been willing to take her home in the last year. Another 10-20 days and she would have been in the shelter for a full year. Maybe some people have adopted her and they brought her back. I dunno. She does get a bit crazy. She's been in such a high stimulus place for so long now though. I think it's gonna take a while before she realizes she can relax and just enjoy herself. Her drive for playing, attention, and food is so high.

Daks

Autocross Champion
She looks like she has some staff in her. More terrier than retriver/lab mix. You need to get her a slat mill. I don't think that you would be able to keep up with her exercise demands otherwise.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
She looks like she has some staff in her. More terrier than retriver/lab mix. You need to get her a slat mill. I don't think that you would be able to keep up with her exercise demands otherwise.
I'll keep that thing in mind. We'll see how bad she ends up being.

She reminds me a lot of my last dog, just by looks. I have a feeling she could be black mouth cur and then some kind of terrier. I haven't really had a chance to get a close look at the roof of her mouth to see if it's black or not yet.

1704728946763.png

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I'll keep that thing in mind. We'll see how bad she ends up being.

She reminds me a lot of my last dog, just by looks. I have a feeling she could be black mouth cur and then some kind of terrier. I haven't really had a chance to get a close look at the roof of her mouth to see if it's black or not yet.

View attachment 297587
Just order a wisdom panel kit. It's not that expensive and pretty fun to find out the actual mix.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Got myself a monster yesterday.

View attachment 297577
View attachment 297578
View attachment 297579
View attachment 297581

I really hope I can break her of some bad habits. She's a very sweet, friendly, and playful dog. She doesn't have much chill though. It takes a while for her to relax and lay down. It wasn't until about 9pm last night that she finally laid down and took a nap.

The people at the shelter kept saying she's been passed up because she's high energy. She's not out of control high energy though. I haven't had her for 24 hours yet, but I feel like she's starting to learn.

I wasn't sure how potty training was going to go. She had a couple accidents on the patio and an accident in the house within the first couple hours of her getting home, but after that she's done good. She had no accidents last night. She let me sleep until about 8am before she started getting in my face, and no accidents during the night.

View attachment 297580
Her history is that she was a street dog, emaciated and missing fur. The shelter got her like this and they've had her for almost a full year. She's about 1 year and 8 months old, so most of her life was in a shelter that holds nearly 1k dogs. Weighs about 42 lbs. They had her listed as a lab/retriever mix. I think she's got a bit of pit in her though. I feel like half her weight is in her rear legs, it's crazy how muscular those things are for a 40lb dog. Some of the things she does kinda reminds me of how my friends pit acts too.

When I saw how confident and playful she was at the shelter I thought she'd make a really good dog, but we got some work to do.

Named her Gordita, right?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Just order a wisdom panel kit. It's not that expensive and pretty fun to find out the actual mix.

And turn your dog dna over to the government? No thank you. Who knows how they use that...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
I see boxer in that face. She’s gorgeous.

I have a malinois - high energy is an understatement lol. If you have any nearby woods / trails you can take her to, nothing Beats 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon/evening of off-leash trail running to keep a dog from annoying you / destroying your house while she’s home. My hiking habits with my dog netted me 26 lbs lost in 2023. I am happier and healthier and borderline addicted to daily hikes. In fact I am moving out of Philly to the Poconos for the express purpose of unabridged access to plentiful nature hikes for myself and my dog.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I see boxer in that face. She’s gorgeous.

I have a malinois - high energy is an understatement lol. If you have any nearby woods / trails you can take her to, nothing Beats 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon/evening of off-leash trail running to keep a dog from annoying you / destroying your house while she’s home. My hiking habits with my dog netted me 26 lbs lost in 2023. I am happier and healthier and borderline addicted to daily hikes. In fact I am moving out of Philly to the Poconos for the express purpose of unabridged access to plentiful nature hikes for myself and my dog.
I'm far too deep into the city for that, but I've got a decent block for walking/running/biking.

She didn't seem to do too bad in the car though, so I think I'll be able to travel with her in the rs3 no problem. I've got a dog hammock for the back seat that should be arriving sometime today. My headrests might prevent me from setting it up like a hammock, but I'll be securing her in place with one of the seat belt buckles.

cb1111

All I've done so far was brought her home. She arrived at the shelter emaciated like that in January 2023 and no ones been willing to take her home in the last year. Another 10-20 days and she would have been in the shelter for a full year. Maybe some people have adopted her and they brought her back. I dunno. She does get a bit crazy. She's been in such a high stimulus place for so long now though. I think it's gonna take a while before she realizes she can relax and just enjoy herself. Her drive for playing, attention, and food is so high.
Get her to a proper dog trainer and they'll help you point you in the right direction. It'll take her awhile to acclimate to you and your home, but training early is vital.