GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSC Sport Active Suspension Controller

DSC Sport

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
7.5 Golf R
I think I'm following... so what would be the benefit of using a static compression and compensating via a stiffer spring, as opposed to (what I assume is the OEM approach) using variable compression with a softer spring?
Variable compression will create a more capable ride. You can have both a soft and stiff ride depending on mode so you can have the best of both worlds. But with the variable you can use the electronic valving to stiffen up and mimic a static stiffer spring when needed

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
If $1300 is too much money for u bro id say u picked the wrong car to modify cause these are cheap platforms compared to the Audi, Porsche and BMW platforms. The coil-overs are being released in April and they are several thousand less than any of those other platforms but I guess those aren't gonna work either huh? Ya know, considering they have developed them for the Porsche to work flawlessly cause thats an easy platform to develop a product for. Same for BMW just easy......smh.

U act like this is a brand new product by a company that has never existed before and never done anything similar to any other car smh. The product has been PROVEN to work on many other applications for many YEARS now so stop hating on a product cause ur a broke dick and cant afford it.

What makes u think it wont work of this platform? Did the thought cross ur mind that maybe they fixed the issue they were having before? Thats what beta testing is for is case ur not aware.

I do find it funny that ppl like u have more knowledge than the engineers that designed this program to work for Porsche and BMW. Im pretty confident they have figured it out since they have figured it out on every other vehicle they have ever designed it for. Did u think of that?

What testing - tuning and R&D u have done to refute any claims that it works? Please share..... cause if u dont have any to share then all u have is diahreah of the mouth.

Unreasonable? Is that what they call it now when you want to research what you're spending money on?

Why are you getting triggered? The company can choose to quell this issue instantly. By choosing to stay silent, it's encouraging more questions than answers. Great that you have used their products in another car. However that's largely irrelevant to this platform. Why is it so difficult to post any sort of performance data? Transparency and accountability is critical to the success of a company now.

Not only that, you'll find out people tend to look at things more critically for a lower cost vehicle vs a Porsche. Budgets are largely different, as is buying patterns.

I think you glossed over the point - $1300 is a lot of money for something that has dubious documentation of working on this platform. Their previous release for MQB crashed and burned. Not only that, they still haven't gotten back to how they know the OEM struts can handle the exponential increase of duty cycle without premature wearing - DCC struts have an electro-hydraulic valve unlike mag ride.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
Alright, I’ll bite for everyone on here.
The Canadian distributor for these guys (JRP) is down the street from me.

@DSC Sport Give me a 7 day trial period and I’ll put down a deposit for the product to help you make sure I don’t run away with this thing. If you want someone real to attest to your official non-beta version of controller on here, i can do it. I’ll test the product over 300-400kms on some back roads and report back with my observations on this thread 7 days after picking it up and installing it. I’ll have the controller returned to JRP a week later and my deposit back.

Vision7

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been running the controller in my R for the last two weeks on the street and I have noticed very tangible differences and an improvement in both ride quality and body control but taking the car and controller to its limit is both impossible and irresponsible on the street. My R is otherwise stock, so this has been the only upgrade and I should be heading to the track within the next couple of weeks to truly see what this controller can do and, I'll provide more of my impressions after that.

Nissanskylinen1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 R w/DCC & Nav
I've been running the controller in my R for the last two weeks on the street and I have noticed very tangible differences and an improvement in both ride quality and body control but taking the car and controller to its limit is both impossible and irresponsible on the street. My R is otherwise stock, so this has been the only upgrade and I should be heading to the track within the next couple of weeks to truly see what this controller can do and, I'll provide more of my impressions after that.
Pics?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Variable compression will create a more capable ride. You can have both a soft and stiff ride depending on mode so you can have the best of both worlds. But with the variable you can use the electronic valving to stiffen up and mimic a static stiffer spring when needed
The job of a dampener is to slow the spring back to rest based on the spring's inherent frequency. If I change the spring frequency in rear by moving to a stiffer spring can the controller compensate and to what degree? If instead I wanted to reduce the rate of a 350lb spring like a 700lb spring (twice the rate), would the controller be able to do this?

What are the realistic dampening ranges we're talking about? I know the stock system does compensate based on spring frequency, but I'm curious how far in range your controller can take it?

Millsn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7R
I've been following the progress of these controllers. I recall seeing forum posts saying they raised error codes on the car. I assume that second time around this is fixed. I do find the industry's ability to qualify their pricing with some sort of performance statement lacking. Doesn't matter which manufacturer we're talking about. Where is each product on ride/handling compromise? What spring rates does each product work best with? You can pay £2k for Bilstein, £4k for Nitron, £6k for Tractive etc. but the benefit is never quantified. I optioned my car with DSC and paid a fair bit extra at the time, principally because the press rated it over the standard items. It'd be nice now to be able to sort out its limitations with a controller swap. Specifically the car seems to see full droop too easily after a bump and rebound control seems generally lacking. Roll isn't great either if you're pushing on down a UK A road.

The DSC controller obviously makes a big difference to Porsche suspension but I suspect the dampers are more exotic than those on a Golf so find it difficult to trust that a true comparison can be made. It's not clear to me whether the VW DSC damper can be controlled in such a way as to allow a greater spring rate yet still optimise the bump/rebound and for $1300 + UK VAT at 20% it'd better be good or I might as well swap the dampers out. So yes, I'd like a bit of platform-specific convincing and yes I think that by now there should be some press on it of some kind and I think it's fair feedback that this needs resolving.

Last edited:

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Not an absolute by any means, but this right here is spot on.

"I do find the industry's ability to qualify their pricing with some sort of performance statement lacking. Doesn't matter which manufacturer we're talking about."

A good chunk of customers are uninformed prior to their purchase, a good chunk of companies are less than straight. Then of course are those who will fight till the end to defend products they know very little about overlooking the bigger picture that the more critical they are in their expectations, the better product we will all in the end buy.

Back to my corner I go.

Last edited:

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion

"I do find the industry's ability to qualify their pricing with some sort of performance statement lacking. Doesn't matter which manufacturer we're talking about."

A good chunk of customers are uninformed prior to their purchase, a good chunk of companies are less than straight. Then of course are the groupies who will fight till the end to defend products they know very little about overlooking the bigger picture that the more critical they are in their expectations, the better product we will all in the end buy.

Back to my corner I go.

I gave up trying to convince people here that being more critical and informed about products was a good thing.

Back to my corner I go as well.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
BUT IT MAKE MY CAR FEEL GOO, THATS ALL WE NEED TO KNOW TO THROW MONEY AT THINGS AMIRITE?
It costs money to go fast bro...... If u haven't figured that out by now buy a Kia.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Funny in here, no one said folks shouldn't expect data or should even consider buying if they data they want isn't provided. Early in the thread it was being demanding that data be provided "right now" as if we were being forced to buy. And acting as if DSC was a new company with no product history. Anybody doing their due diligence would know they are new to this platform and had initial issues. That alone shouldn't be an indictment, else we won't ever get any new stuff... though the time for new stuff might be ending as the Mk8's arrive.

Speaking of which, thought one of the Mk8 reviews showed the dampers having like 14 levels of adjustment (also present on the current Tiguan and/or Passat). I'm sure even with all those different settings it provides less "dynamic" control than the DSC Controller intends to provide but it'd be interesting to see if those dampers differ from the Mk7 factory equipment.

Good thing is some people have started to share their opinions on these units and I hope it keeps coming. If I was the target customer for this I would still want more info before dropping $1,300. It took 8 suspension variations on my Golf but I now have more patience than money 🤣.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion

A good chunk of customers are uninformed prior to their purchase, a good chunk of companies are less than straight. Then of course are those who will fight till the end to defend products they know very little about overlooking the bigger picture that the more critical they are in their expectations, the better product we will all in the end buy.

Back to my corner I go.

I think the expectations of the product, via slogan, should be: "Get the most out of your OEM ride." Disclaimer should be "Not intended for off-road usage".