GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESP, XDS, DSR, ASR, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control Settings Vag-Com

michal

Go Kart Champion
I just want to share what I found yesterday when playing with VCDS software.
Maybe it will be helpful for some of you guys. Mostly for those who track their cars and want less electronic assist. I'm not encouraging anyone to change the stock settings, so if you want to change something proceed at your own risk.

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel:

Channel 09 Brake Assist
There are 3 settings for this
0-center (stock setting)
1-small
2-hard
I tasted this one and finally locked it in value 2. I think the brake pedal and the whole system are more sensitive. My car was not braking any better but I did not have to push down the brake pedal as low as before and as hard as before to start braking.

Channel 36 XDS
There are 3 settings
0-center (stock setting)
1-weak
2-strong

Channel 54 DSR
There are 3 settings
0-strong (stock setting)
1-center
2-weak

Channel 58 Hill Hold Assist
There are 3 settings
0-normal
1-early (start with low RPM's)
2-late (start with high RPM's and slipping clutch)

Channel 89 ASR
Two settings
1-on (stock setting)
2-off
I tried to turn it off, the new setting was saved but after I disconnected and connected the vag com cable to check it out it was set back to value 1-“on” . So, I think it's not possible to turn it off with the VCDS software.

Channel 90 ESP
Two settings
1-on (stock setting)
2-off
The same thing as with the ASR. I was able to turn it off but it was set back to “on” setting after disconnecting and connecting the vag com cable.
Channel 91 Automatic, ESP switch on, Speed
There are 4 boxes 1-Automatic, 2-ESP switch on, 3-Speed, 4-Deactivated (this setting can be changed)
Boxes 1 to 3 describe probably condition which are already programmed
Two settings
0-Deactivated (stock setting)
1-Enabled

I enabled it and I could not feel any difference (but I was not driving my car very hard anyway). I only found some info that our ESP system is activated automatically after we drive at speed above 30 km/h (19 mph) and I have no idea what enabling it can do. It does not make sense that with the ESP switch on, and driving above 19 mph it’s automatically deactivated (stock setting) Maybe it’s just deactivated when driving below 19 mph, so if when enabled it’s also turned on below that speed. Any thoughts?
Please post your impressions if you test any of these settings. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
wow, some good investigating here. Sounds like the ESP thing wont do much at higher speeds, but the XDS change/settings sounds very interesting.

michal

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, but DSR and ASR = ?

"ASR Anti-Slip Regulation, which detects wheel slippage and applies braking force to that particular wheel. Working with an Electronic Differential Lock at speeds below 25 mph, ASR controls throttle response to maximize traction and minimize slipping for enhanced driver control in tight cornering situations. "

"DSR Driver-steering recommendation.
The driver-steering recommendation is an additional function of the electronic stability programme (ESP). This function indicates to the driver in critical situations by means of slight steering wheel impulses the direction evaluated by the system, in which the vehicle must be steered, so that it stabilizes. The driver-steering recommendation is active when braking sharply on different road surfaces and on the right and left vehicle side."

"XDS is an advanced electronic differential lock, linked to a ESP system. In moments of fast cornering XDS gives out exactly the right amount of power, providing pressure on the inside wheel to prevent wheel spinning. The result is better traction and a reduction of any tendency to under steer."

Last edited:

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
OP, is your GTI DSG or 6MT? Any idea if the hill hold can be enabled for a 6MT?

michal

Go Kart Champion
OP, is your GTI DSG or 6MT? Any idea if the hill hold can be enabled for a 6MT?
My GTI is DSG but yes, you can also change those settings for the 6 MT also.
You have the Hill Hold Assist already enabled (0-normal) in your car but you can change it to values 1 (early) or 2 (late).

michal

Go Kart Champion
I just found this:

"Tambien he puesto una opcion que te desconecta por completo el ESP al salir rapido y te lo conecta automaticamente despues cuando pasas de 30 km/h. Desactivación automática del ESP (Desactiva el control de traccion en la salida para salidas a tope sin que entre en accion el control de traccion) Modulo 03 ABS Adaptation 10 Canal 91 (Automatic ESP) Cambiar el valor a 1 para activarlo."

I used google translate but it did not make sense to me. Could someone who knows Spanish please translate it?

mg_90

I just found this:

"Tambien he puesto una opcion que te desconecta por completo el ESP al salir rapido y te lo conecta automaticamente despues cuando pasas de 30 km/h. Desactivación automática del ESP (Desactiva el control de traccion en la salida para salidas a tope sin que entre en accion el control de traccion) Modulo 03 ABS Adaptation 10 Canal 91 (Automatic ESP) Cambiar el valor a 1 para activarlo."

I used google translate but it did not make sense to me. Could someone who knows Spanish please translate it?

Tambien he puesto una opcion que te desconecta por completo el ESP al salir rapido y te lo conecta automaticamente despues cuando pasas de 30 km/h
I also found one option to deactivate completely the ESP on hard launches and that reconnects it when you reach 18mph

Desactivación automática del ESP (Desactiva el control de traccion en la salida para salidas a tope sin que entre en accion el control de traccion)
Automatic ESP deactivation (Disables competely the traction control on hard launches)

Modulo 03 ABS Adaptation 10 Canal 91 (Automatic ESP) Cambiar el valor a 1 para activarlo
Module 03 ABS Adaptation 10 Channel 91 (Automatic ESP) Change the value to 1 to activate

I know Spanish but my English isn´t very good... :lol: but I think the translation is at least 90% correct.

michal

Go Kart Champion
^^ Thank you.:thumbsup:
It makes sense right now. When enabling this option (the value set to 1) the ESP is deactivated only below 30 mph, when the car reaches 30 mph it's activated automatically, and it's deactivated again when the car slows down below 30 mph again. Anyway, it's better than nothing.

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
^^ Thank you.:thumbsup:
It makes sense right now. When enabling this option (the value set to 1) the ESP is deactivated only below 30 mph, when the car reaches 30 mph it's activated automatically, and it's deactivated again when the car slows down below 30 mph again. Anyway, it's better than nothing.

Actually it says 30km/h not miles. So like mg_90 translated, it would be at 18mph. mg_90, great job on the translation, I would say its 100% accurate.

mg_90

I am glad I can help!! :happyanim:

And what about the "fake LSD" aka XDS? :lol:

Channel 36 XDS
There are 3 settings
0-center (stock setting)
1-weak
2-strong

Is there any chance to change the way it works? More agressive mode maybe?

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
I am glad I can help!! :happyanim:

And what about the "fake LSD" aka XDS? :lol:

Channel 36 XDS
There are 3 settings
0-center (stock setting)
1-weak
2-strong

Is there any chance to change the way it works? More agressive mode maybe?

Wonder if the "2-strong" mode could be useful for folks at Stage 1/2 (or beyond).