GOLFMKV

ESP, XDS, DSR, ASR, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control Settings Vag-Com

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
Posting in this one to reference also haha

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

fredf

Go Kart Champion
Can anyone comment on the results of changing the 'brake assist'? Is this the answer to the spongy brake pedal?

michal

Go Kart Champion
As I stated in my first post:

"I tasted this one and finally locked it in value 2. I think the brake pedal and the whole system are more sensitive. My car was not braking any better but I did not have to push down the brake pedal as low as before and as hard as before to start braking. "

I still have the value set to 2.

P

plac

As I stated in my first post:

"I tasted this one and finally locked it in value 2. I think the brake pedal and the whole system are more sensitive. My car was not braking any better but I did not have to push down the brake pedal as low as before and as hard as before to start braking. "

I still have the value set to 2.

i could always use more assist.

michal

Go Kart Champion
i could always use more assist.

Just check it out and report back, please. It's the easiest one to check out and you should feel the difference between those 3 settings. The other settings (XDS, DSR) are not that easy to evaluate.

And for those who did not read the whole thread this is what I posted earlier in here.

"I think that changing it to value 2 (strong) could help a little with sharp cornering. With the ESP off (using the button) and XDS sets to strong probably you could rotate the rear end more but and at the same time keep your front wheels where you want. I think that changing the DSR to weak can also help when tracking the car. If it's an addition to the ESP which tries to stabilize the car, it's also slowing it down.
I'm not an expert so these are just my thoughts but maybe someone who track the car can chime in. That's why I started this thread. I wanted to hear more from the members experienced in tracking their cars.
In short I think that with the ESP off (button), DSR sets to weak (value 2), and XDS sets to strong (value 2) you can have more fun when tracking the car. Brake Assist sets to hard can also help a little. But as I stated before, it's just my opinion."

P

plac

I just changed my brake assist to (strong) #2. I'm posting it here because I'll probably forget that I did it soon..

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
People who changed the XDS setting should report back later also with maybe its effect on brake wear...or god forbid CV issue if there are any...

Still interested in playing with DSR setting to see if the strange tugging at the wheel sometimes at hard cornering and if it goes away. But I am not going to do it while I am still on snow tires...

mkviken

Ready to race!
the tugging at the wheel you mention is the XDS coming in.

How can the setting 2 make be any danger to the car?

it comes standard on the scirocco R which is basically a cross between a mk5 and mk6 golf.

if it works on that why not the golf? they share most of the same parts.

of course brakes will wear quicker as your working the ABS/ESP a lot harder but can't see how CV joints would and if i was worried about brake wear i would have bought something cheap/slow/basic.

one thing though - does anyone know if i disable traction control (via the button on the dash) does the XDS deactivate too? i have 2 stage traction/ESP so i can switch my ESP off unlike some earlier cars. if i deactivate the ESP doe the XDS switch off too?

stinchibirinchi

Guys, in Italy we all are trying to diseable the ESP but it seems impossible. I mean it is possible because when Volkswagen show a new car (for example the GOLF GTI) the disable the ESP for the show but nobody here succeeded in finding how.
I have vag-com but I still cannot find any "bit".
Come on guys, I hope you will do it

Damn it!

mkviken

Ready to race!
what year is the car?

from about 03/2011 onwards ESP is switchable

hold the button down for 3 sends and both ASR and ESP switches off.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
How can the setting 2 make be any danger to the car?

it comes standard on the scirocco R which is basically a cross between a mk5 and mk6 golf.

Chris at Revo suggested that it might lead to broken CVs/axles, but he's just speculating for the most part. Time will tell whether his theory turns out true.

I'll also suggest that since setting 2 seems to be standard on a 260hp Scirocco R, it could be overkill on something with less power, say a stock GTI, possibly leading to oversteer in certain conditions due to excessive braking on the inside wheel.

On a track, it could also cause excessive heat on the brakes, possibly premature brake fade. Scirocco R comes with larger sized brakes all around.

Not saying any of these will happen, but there are a number of ways this setting could adversely affect the car. Which is why I'd love to see if any of the tuners have played around with this setting and tested it out in various conditions (track, real world, etc.)