GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESP, XDS, DSR, ASR, Brake Assist, Hill Hold Control Settings Vag-Com

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Agree. There are 3 settings.

I already did explain it last year on this topic:

'00' has been my stock setting.

if all this was about the "brake assist" setting that's no news to me. been using it for a year. i was talking about a different issue of pedal drops during braking.

suppose i will change mine back from strong to stock again.. it will suck having my pedal start a lot lower tho..

Last edited:

engineered2win

Ready to race!
Has anyone noticed with Brake Assist set to 2 that when you turn off the ignition the brake pedal pulses and it sounds like ABS is triggering? I'd like to know if this is just the ABS system releasing brake pressure and it's normal.

1FastGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
Tried the xds settings with my r but when I bring up the control module for it my Vagcom/vcds tells me n/a any idea why?

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Just set the XDS to setting 2 and car feels better. Turns harder and more agile.

People who changed the XDS setting should report back later also with maybe its effect on brake wear...or god forbid CV issue if there are any...

Still interested in playing with DSR setting to see if the strange tugging at the wheel sometimes at hard cornering and if it goes away. But I am not going to do it while I am still on snow tires...

I have a stock car ad set the XDS to 2 also. But I found that the tires break loose that much easier even when going straight from a stoplight. When I set it back to 0, then it seems that the tires don't break loose as much. Maybe the computer is decreasing the torque available to the engine? I don't know. But I am seeing is that when XDS is set to 2, it breaks the traction more easily.

So when you say the car is more "agile", what do you mean? It turns faster? When I step on the gas while turning left or right, the tires DEFINITELY breaks loose much more easily than when the setting is set to 0. Again, I'm running stock. So can someone help elaborate?

Audi'sRevenge

Tried the xds settings with my r but when I bring up the control module for it my Vagcom/vcds tells me n/a any idea why?
A little late for you (over a year after!) but since the thread isn't quite dead yet, thought I'd give some info. This should also help others that have it showing up as "N/A" but have a compatible brake controller and have come across this thread.

XDS can be enabled provided you have an MK60 or MK70 ABS controller. It will say the adaptation channel is N/A if it is disabled in the controller altogether. This doesn't mean it's not available just means it hasn't been enabled. I enabled it successfully on my A3 2.0T Quattro doing the following.

What you do is go to long coding, Byte 17, Bit 3 (or wherever the Long Coding Helper shows you it is for your car/module). You have to check the box for that bit to enable PR-UG3/UG4 and then save the coding. On my car it told me the module was not initialised or whatever but then you can either use the "1234/123/etc." values by clicking "Yes" or by using the values in the module (clicking "No") and then you should get a "Coding Accepted!" message.

There's a video on YouTube in German (I think) that shows you how it's done here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmdTq6g-s9w
In a different language and on a Scirocco but you should be able to follow the basic idea.

On my car, for some reason, any time you change a module's coding it locks you out of it until you cycle the ignition so you may need to do that as well. After that, once you go into adaptation in the controller again you'll see XDS comes up normally and is no longer "N/A". From there you can make sure it's enabled and change it to strong/weak/etc. as desired. Once enabled I'm pretty sure it only works on the front end, FYI.

So if you see N/A in the adaptation menu you're not out of luck provided you have a brake controller that supports XDS; you just have to enable it in long coding first.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
It's not as dramatic as adding an LSD but it's noticeable. Try it out on
the same stretch of curved road and see which you like better.
As the new Mk.VII R, which doesn't suffer from traction issues at all,
now comes with XDS as well, there must be some gain, e.g. on turn-in.

ps
yes, it's German :thumbsup:

BIGCUMINSTDI

Passed Driver's Ed
XDS is an advanced electronic differential lock, linked to a sophisticated Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) system. We designed it to maximise road holding and improve responses, especially when cornering. In moments of fast cornering XDS gives out exactly the right amount of power, providing pressure on the inside wheel to prevent wheel spinning. The result is better traction and a reduction of any tendency to under steer. You'll experience a more agile, precise and calm driving performance with better traction out of bends. In other words, you can enjoy sporty driving in your Volkswagen, knowing you have a reassuringly higher level of safety.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
XDS is an advanced electronic differential lock, linked to a sophisticated Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) system. We designed it to maximise road holding and improve responses, especially when cornering. In moments of fast cornering XDS gives out exactly the right amount of power, providing pressure on the inside wheel to prevent wheel spinning. The result is better traction and a reduction of any tendency to under steer. You'll experience a more agile, precise and calm driving performance with better traction out of bends. In other words, you can enjoy sporty driving in your Volkswagen, knowing you have a reassuringly higher level of safety.

With the recent 2008.5 - 2011 ESP disable coding found this week, I wonder if XDS still works with this function off.