GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
If this is the low pass filter, it would be extremely nice when installing an aftermarket sub.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
If you access 47 long coding, you can change the coding from fender to dynaudio. I wonder if there is any difference between the two settings

JWTS

Ready to race!
If you access 47 long coding, you can change the coding from fender to dynaudio. I wonder if there is any difference between the two settings

There is, but don't do this unless you're also swapping the speakers. The Dynaudio tweeters are 4 ohm vs the 2 ohm Fender, the the Fender uses dual voice coil 2 ohm woofers.

The good news is that if you want to swap to the Dynaudio system, you don't have the change the amp, since the processing file can be changed via Vagcom. You can simply swap in the speakers and change the settings. Pretty cool.

OneGuy83

Holy crap this made it sound 3x better. Hello low range! Though not insanely loud (remember tiny little speaker) it hits lower frequencies!

Put mine on 50hz for now and totally rounds out the sound that was missing.

47 Sound system
Adaptation
Scroll all the way down to low frequency and change from 100 to whatever you like. Hit do it and reread channel. Test and enjoy! Was easy to hear the difference.

Not sure of long term abuse to the sub hitting lower frequencies but I’ll risk it as it sounds great.

if this is changing the frequency cutoff of the door speakers you may want to scale that back to around 80hz in order to not have the door speakers try and play frequencies that are too low for the mid range door speakers.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Had my MK7 for a month or so now and the subwoofer although decent leaves me wondering if some simple mods will take it to a new level.

Based on another thread I flipped it upside down so it’s facing down now and put the spare on top of it. Decent difference in sound, seems a bit fuller, maybe placebo.

Tried different headunit equalizer settings and still working on finding a sweet spot that works.

Seems there is no aftermarket speaker to pop in the same spot and have increased sound.

Did find this random setting in VCDS.. wondering if I can change it to 50 or so and get some lower notes out of it. Granted higher volumes will be a mess.

Any other useful advise outside of getting rid of it and wiring in an uberstealth box and amp?

It is what it is. It's a super tiny sub driver inside that thing. Adjust the built in sound settings to your liking (without causing any distortion) and listen away. Turning it upside down probably makes it worse (it's absolutely designed to perform best the way it is installed). Just make sure it's tightened down in the spare. You're not going to win any SPL contest with that tiny subwoofer. It will however play fairly low at a decent volume, where in other cars you won't hear those same bass notes at all. I think my sub volume has always been at 0 or -1.

If that 100hz is a x-over point - I certainly wouldn't touch it. It's likely the frequency that the "Low" (not the sub) slider is adjusting. You aren't going to gain much by adjusting it unless you have a fancy Real Time Analyzer lying around

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Had my MK7 for a month or so now and the subwoofer although decent leaves me wondering if some simple mods will take it to a new level.

Based on another thread I flipped it upside down so it’s facing down now and put the spare on top of it. Decent difference in sound, seems a bit fuller, maybe placebo.

Tried different headunit equalizer settings and still working on finding a sweet spot that works.

Seems there is no aftermarket speaker to pop in the same spot and have increased sound.

I found the Kicker Comp RT67 that dimensionally looks like a good fit 2 3/4 mounting depth and by my measurements 3 inches is available in the fender enclosure.

I'll be stuffing with poly fill, as well.

https://assets.sonicelectronix.com/manuals/kicker/2016_comprt_series_manual.pdf

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
I was planning on using a spacer. I also ordered the kicker sub to see which sounded better. The kicker will arrive first.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Kicker is too wide. At 6 3/4, it overlaps a few sections of the box. I am getting spacers tomorrow, hopefully they work. Covid has also delayed the shipment of my Memphis speaker

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
So it is installed. Sounds way better than stock. I needed to trim the trim ring a bit at the edges. Also need to put the rest of the mounting screws in.

Attachments

• 0B53DE51-9E29-4C4C-B6E9-3C581E7417AE.jpeg
    0B53DE51-9E29-4C4C-B6E9-3C581E7417AE.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 819
  • DD4BD8F8-0837-4CDE-82BD-8BB7BF9C6120.jpeg
    DD4BD8F8-0837-4CDE-82BD-8BB7BF9C6120.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,311
  • C741FB68-2FE4-4913-97F9-4FCB2C8F91A8.jpeg
    C741FB68-2FE4-4913-97F9-4FCB2C8F91A8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 831
  • 0A0BA57B-CBF9-4DBD-8CF1-F27AA7C91BA3.jpeg
    0A0BA57B-CBF9-4DBD-8CF1-F27AA7C91BA3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 890

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
So it is installed. Sounds way better than stock. I needed to trim the trim ring a bit at the edges. Also need to put the rest of the mounting screws in.

looks good! That’s the route I wanna go. Where’d you get the spacer?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
Best Buy had it for 12 dollars for 2

ScozR

Ready to race!

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing. We would need the 2 x 2 ohm correct? Im gonna buy one too and give it a try.