GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender subwoofer mods

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So it is installed. Sounds way better than stock. I needed to trim the trim ring a bit at the edges. Also need to put the rest of the mounting screws in.

Nice! Is the trunk mat hitting the subwoofer? And what exactly has to be trimmed?

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
The spacer has to be trimmed. The type I got is he’s plastic, so it can crack. I used an orange grease pencil to mark where I needed to remove material and cut it. The sub does not hit the false floor in the hatch area.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I cut out the sub instead of trimming the spacer. I was thinking the speaker wold drop right in, and it would if was not for the shape of the outside of the sub box.

So in the end I had to use epoxy putty to fill in the gaps from the trim job.

So far, testing reveals an air leak, but overall the sub sounds great.
IMG_3102.JPEG

IMG_3106.JPEG
IMG_3110.JPEG

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
You may need something where the ring meets the box. I bet that’s where your leak is. Maybe some good silicone would work. I need to get some poly fil to try in mine now.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
So that's the Kicker Comp RT67 you guys are fitting into the fender box? This one?

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You may need something where the ring meets the box. I bet that’s where your leak is. Maybe some good silicone would work. I need to get some poly fil to try in mine now.

It was an easy fix with more putty.

So that's the Kicker Comp RT67 you guys are fitting into the fender box? This one?

Yes, the 2 ohm version.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

ScozR

Ready to race!
It could work, but I'm not going to worry about it, and just let it be.

I have a spare spacer if you want to cut it in half.

I appreciate the offer but I have two spacers on the way, so no worries. Hopefully I can make everything work. I also just realized that having a spare tire might make this a little more difficult, if not impossible. Didn’t think of asking you guys whether her or not you’re running a spare in the trunk.

At any rate, I’ll report back once I have everything here and have taken some measurements!

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I appreciate the offer but I have two spacers on the way, so no worries. Hopefully I can make everything work. I also just realized that having a spare tire might make this a little more difficult, if not impossible. Didn’t think of asking you guys whether her or not you’re running a spare in the trunk.

At any rate, I’ll report back once I have everything here and have taken some measurements!
It fits in the spare, so yes, still using the spare.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
So, if anyone needs polyfil, I got a pillow from target with it for 4 dollars. It has more than enough for what we need. Also, I need to do some plasti weld. The old screw holes leak, and the sub needs to be sealed better.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
So, I used jb weld plastic weld to fill all the holes and it made a difference. Also used rubber foam strips to seal The spacer to the box better. It does appear there is only about an 1/8th” of space between the sub and the floor. I was looking at some other options to remove the spacer, but it sounds good atm. I’m Still waiting for the subwoofer I ordered, but they are on eBay if anyone wants to try. It may require some trimming of the reinforcement rib right beneath the sub.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332400530587