GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus ST First Drive (Taking Stabs at the GTI)

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
I briefly looked at the ST when I was searching around at cars but I think the styling of it is horrid and obviously availability was also far off. Now if only Ford would wise up and just give us the Focus RS stateside already.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My mother in law has a loaded up Focus, leather and everything else...
It's a cool little car - with the emphasis on little.
But it's obviously a class down from the GTI.
Just far less substantial.

HangAWang

Ready to race!
My mother in law has a loaded up Focus, leather and everything else...
It's a cool little car - with the emphasis on little.
But it's obviously a class down from the GTI.
Just far less substantial.

A regular focus would be more comparable to a regular golf. Not a gti. Completely different markets. Just like an evo or sti can't be compared to a lancer or impreza as someone stated earlier.

chilli42

Ready to race!
I wonder if all that power driving the front wheels is just too much. Mazdaspeed 3 seemed to be a good example. Balance is everything.

But i am glad there's more sport compacts/hot hatches coming out. I thought this market is pretty dead a few years ago.

They have practice with the 300bhp RS Focus.

I wouldn't underestimate the Focus, especially seeing as though VW pretty much hired all the original Ford Focus chassis engineers to come work on the MK5 Golf and GTI rear suspension. Yes you all, we are driving a car whose chassis work was designed and dialed in by the original Ford Focus chassis team.

Just bend over and notice how similar a 2000 era Focus rear suspension is to an mk5 or mk6 Golf Suspension.
I have no hate for the Focus. It's a good car for the money.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
A regular focus would be more comparable to a regular golf. Not a gti. Completely different markets. Just like an evo or sti can't be compared to a lancer or impreza as someone stated earlier.

But it's still a level down.
A Golf is far more substantial - just more solid and upscale from a starting point than a Focus.

My mother in laws Focus is loaded to the gills but it's not up to par with my base with sunroof GTI.

I've got no hate for the Focus or Ford, but you've got to experience a Focus in the flesh.
Trust me - it doesn't measure up.

BoomBoy

Ready to race!
I wouldn't underestimate the Focus, especially seeing as though VW pretty much hired all the original Ford Focus chassis engineers to come work on the MK5 Golf and GTI rear suspension. Yes you all, we are driving a car whose chassis work was designed and dialed in by the original Ford Focus chassis team.

Just bend over and notice how similar a 2000 era Focus rear suspension is to an mk5 or mk6 Golf Suspension.
I have no hate for the Focus. It's a good car for the money.

:clap:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
It may be fast but it sure is ugly... I'd put my stage 2 GTI against almost any other sport compact anywhere honestly. It's solid, great looking inside and out, has a feeling of substantial quality, and is quite fast and nimble for what it is. I cannot believe how well it handles for stock suspension and freakin' all season tires! GTI has ruined me for other compacts especially an ugly one like the Focus ST. I'm sure it will be lots of fun but no I'm not tempted at all.

Unanimous Shoe

Passed Driver's Ed
Where is all this "ugly" talk coming from? It's better looking than a GTI...

I'll probably check it out as an alternative to the MK7 when that comes out.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Where is all this "ugly" talk coming from? It's better looking than a GTI...

I'll probably check it out as an alternative to the MK7 when that comes out.

It's better looking than a GTI?
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...

But seriously, drive your GTI down to a Ford dealer.
Park it beside a Focus if possible - and compare the cars side by side.
Pics are deceptive.
In the flesh, the cars are not in the same league.
Believe me.