GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Apex ARC-8 Wheels

Are you interested in the Apex Wheel group buy?

• Total voters

Roadhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' R
I'd love something in 18x9. They look pretty nice for the price!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So i was outside enjoying a beautiful spring evening in Charlotte. Enjoying the outdoors while the weather is good. Grilling a few New York strips and enjoying a cold beer. Especially after the enforced work from home situation. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Missed a call from the guys at Apex. Caught up on a few emails and picked the email from Apex. Posted that here.
So folks go ahead and take the survey so Apex can get input on what the MQB market is looking for.

I’m liking the EC7-R Forged wheel in a 17x9.

The post on the F80 M3 was really interesting and thorough. Apex makes wheels for track enthusiasts. Something that can withstand the rigors and tough conditions we put our cars and wheels through around the track. So for me i would want something a little stronger and robust. The wheel weights are still very respectable for 18x9’s. I would be super stoked to fit a 355 BBK under a 17’ wheel.

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
So i was outside enjoying a beautiful spring evening in Charlotte. Enjoying the outdoors while the weather is good. Grilling a few New York strips and enjoying a cold beer. Especially after the enforced work from home situation. Hope everyone is staying safe.

Missed a call from the guys at Apex. Caught up on a few emails and picked the email from Apex. Posted that here.
So folks go ahead and take the survey so Apex can get input on what the MQB market is looking for.

I’m liking the EC7-R Forged wheel in a 17x9.

The post on the F80 M3 was really interesting and thorough. Apex makes wheels for track enthusiasts. Something that can withstand the rigors and tough conditions we put our cars and wheels through around the track. So for me i would want something a little stronger and robust. The wheel weights are still very respectable for 18x9’s. I would be super stoked to fit a 355 BBK under a 17’ wheel.

I took the survey as well and requested the same wheel in the same size, but I'd also buy a couple in 17x8 to have 6 wheels in total for when I want to run square or rotate in an extra set of fronts.

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed
Why does everyone want 17” wheels? Because tires are cheaper?

For tracking the cost of consumables is significant and tires are a big portion of this. Using PS4S as an example, going from 19” —> 18” reduces costs by $80 per tire — this is huge and probably even more noticeable as you drop down to 17”.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
For tracking the cost of consumables is significant and tires are a big portion of this. Using PS4S as an example, going from 19” —> 18” reduces costs by $80 per tire — this is huge and probably even more noticeable as you drop down to 17”.

Let me add to the savings in consumables, the unsprung weight savings of a 17" wheel & tire assembly vs. larger diameter tire & wheel sizes is significant as well. Less unsprung weight = better acceleration, both positive accelleration & negative acceleration (braking). Plus there is the gearing advantages to utilize.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
What about sidewall flex, rollover, general imprecision or steering/steering feel from having a taller tire on the 17 vs 18”?

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
What about sidewall flex, rollover, general imprecision or steering/steering feel from having a taller tire on the 17 vs 18”?

Non-issues in my experience. Proper tire pressures, alignment, suspension adjustments, along with a well-tuned wheel nut are much more critical.

ayao

Passed Driver's Ed

There are always trade offs but I think most perceived issues with higher aspect ratios can be limited with an aggressive alignment and dialing tire pressures in. After all, F1 cars run tires that look like marshmallows...

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
"Proper tire pressures, alignment, suspension adjustments, along with a well-tuned wheel nut are much more critical."

Let me rephrase the previous: A well-tuned wheel nut is THE most critical item, followed by proper tire pressures, alignment, and/or suspension adjustments.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
There are always trade offs but I think most perceived issues with higher aspect ratios can be limited with an aggressive alignment and dialing tire pressures in. After all, F1 cars run tires that look like marshmallows...

It also has to do with performance tire vs street tire. A 255/40/17 in a 100TW tire is going to have a sidewall significantly stiffer than a 255/35/18 on something like a PSS or PS4s. If it's the same 100tw tire, then the stiffness will be fairly similar between the two, with the 17" needing slightly more air pressure.

For me 18" to 17" is 300$ per set of tires and many more options of sizing to choose from. If you ever want to go to a proper R comp tire, the 17" size in a 245 or 225 is fairly simple to find and not terribly priced compared to the 18.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I tried to get Apex wheels for my Mk6 in 2012. Again in 2016 for my Mk7. Now that I'm ready to sell my R it's finally going to happen. Figures.

If I were going to buy wheels to use on the track, I'd go with 18" to clear bigger brakes. If you are at all serious about tracking, you will need them eventually......

rabidbunny

Passed Driver's Ed
If the Group Buy was 17 x 9, I would be interested.
IMO, 17 x 8.5 isn't significant enough to the many available 17 x 8 wheels. I use 17 x 8 Kosei's with 245/40/17 (Hankooks RS3s, last version).
I believe, other than custom, there is only one 17 x 9 wheel, offbrand Advanti Storms, currently available for the Mk7 which requires hub-centric rings which is obviously not ideal.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I tried to get Apex wheels for my Mk6 in 2012. Again in 2016 for my Mk7. Now that I'm ready to sell my R it's finally going to happen. Figures.

If I were going to buy wheels to use on the track, I'd go with 18" to clear bigger brakes. If you are at all serious about tracking, you will need them eventually......
There are plenty of 350mm and 355mm brake kits that can clear specific 17" wheels. Problem is, the front end of these cars needs brake cooling, and not so much a bigger rotor overall, so no matter what you do, you'll eventually need to address the airflow issues.

If you plan to run something bigger than 355mm though, then yeah you'd definitely want an 18" wheel.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
If the Group Buy was 17 x 9, I would be interested.
IMO, 17 x 8.5 isn't significant enough to the many available 17 x 8 wheels. I use 17 x 8 Kosei's with 245/40/17 (Hankooks RS3s, last version).
I believe, other than custom, there is only one 17 x 9 wheel, offbrand Advanti Storms, currently available for the Mk7 which requires hub-centric rings which is obviously not ideal.
I have the storms, and they're not exactly a "quality" wheel. They're really cheap, and feel like it too. My OZ ultraleggerra are a far more quality wheel, from the snap in hub rings and milling to the finish. My Storms already have the finish flaking off in areas and brake dust has started eating through the finish in areas.

A proper quality track wheel in a 17x9 or 17x8.5 I'd take, but the 17x9 with et 40 would be ideal for a track wheel to clear the inside strut well. Track setups will have to run at least -2 camber so outside clearance isn't a huge issue.