GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Petercoll

Just had my UK Golf software updated. My issues were ACC slowing me down as it thought I was undertaking (when I was actually overtaking), incorrect speed display (110, 90 etc) and lights reverting to driving on the right.
I booked it in myself, and referenced TPI 2063230/3 and the fact that this included software version 1890.
They seem to have applied 1890 ok.
Tomorrow I find out if it has worked !
The dealer was Inchcape at Telford.

Pete

Just noticed something else. Previously I had “Device part number“ 5H0035820F. I now appear to 5H0035820H.

I guess that means I have new hardware too i.e. a new infotainment unit.

Pete

Massimo 2323

Go Kart Newbie
Yes that 9 digit is a part number , you can order these at VW or buy online.
Where the hardware doesn’t change internally it is possible to update the firmware as well as the software… this is also possible with other control units too..
i think we were all surprised by this kind of update.. maybe before the chip shortage it was just easier to swap the hardware rather then get the technician to update them.

AndyT

Just had my UK Golf software updated. My issues were ACC slowing me down as it thought I was undertaking (when I was actually overtaking), incorrect speed display (110, 90 etc) and lights reverting to driving on the right.
I booked it in myself, and referenced TPI 2063230/3 and the fact that this included software version 1890.
They seem to have applied 1890 ok.
Tomorrow I find out if it has worked !
The dealer was Inchcape at Telford.

Pete
I had the update last week and there still appears to be some issues with the ACC, it seemed ok at first but at the weekend stopped me overtaking again, it doesn’t seem as frequent as before the update but it happened a couple of times. The KPH and speeding up and slowing down does seem fixed, the headlights also default to driving on the left now.

However it has also introduced a new fault with the map on the cockpit, upon starting the car when the map loads it seems to go in a cycle of pixelisation then to normal repeatedly, it’s really annoying. You can fix by switching the map back to main screen and then back to the cockpit. If you use CarPlay or AA for your maps then this isn’t a problem but it clearly shouldn’t happen.

Donald

Have version 1666 keep getting parking aid error every few days. Never use ACC seems more trouble than it’s worth. My new bug bear had to replace key battery in a car less than a year only and under 6k I don’t have keyless access. Previous Mk 7 had for 4 years and never changed the battery.

Handydave

Passed Driver's Ed
But your previous Mk7 required the key to be inserted in the steering column, whereas the Mk8 is detected wirelessly if you have it in your pocket while sitting in the car.

Not saying that one’s better than the other, but that probably accounts for the difference in battery life.

Martinbury

Have version 1666 keep getting parking aid error every few days. Never use ACC seems more trouble than it’s worth. My new bug bear had to replace key battery in a car less than a year only and under 6k I don’t have keyless access. Previous Mk 7 had for 4 years and never changed the battery.
Have just replaced my first key battery after 7 months and 4600 miles. Where do you keep the key when not in use? My dealership advised me that if the key is within range of the car (they aren’t sure of the exact distance, but a maximum of between 5 and 10m), then the key will communicate with the car and prepare some of the cars systems in readiness for it’s expected use. You can see this happening when the red light on the key fob flashes. This was seen as a potential cause of me getting a flat 12v battery when not using the car for a period of time. I do have Keyless Access, but it is switched off in the infotainment system. Keyless start also drains the fob battery; we have a Fabia with this feature and only get about 12 months out of a fob battery. My MK7 got through 1 battery in 7 years, so we‘re both having similar experiences.

Last edited:

Donald

Have just replaced my first key battery after 7 months and 4600 miles. Where do you keep the key when not in use? My dealership advised me that if the key is within range of the car (they aren’t sure of the exact distance, but a maximum of between 5 and 10m), then the key will communicate with the car and prepare some of the cars systems I readiness for it’s expected use. You can see this happening when the red light on the key fob flashes. This was seen as a potential cause of me getting a flat 12v battery when not using the car for a period of time. I do have Keyless Access, but it is switched off in the infotainment system. Keyless start also drains the fob battery; we have a Fabia with this feature and only get about 12 months out of a fob battery. My MK7 got through 1 battery in 7 years, so we‘re both having similar experiences.
thanks for this the key is kept in the kitchen at the back of the house, will check if it is flashing or not. Watched a YouTube video of VAG Italy about changing the battery and they said when using Keyless it’s lasts about 6 months.

SRGTD

Go Kart Champion
Have just replaced my first key battery after 7 months and 4600 miles. Where do you keep the key when not in use? My dealership advised me that if the key is within range of the car (they aren’t sure of the exact distance, but a maximum of between 5 and 10m), then the key will communicate with the car and prepare some of the cars systems in readiness for it’s expected use. You can see this happening when the red light on the key fob flashes. This was seen as a potential cause of me getting a flat 12v battery when not using the car for a period of time. I do have Keyless Access, but it is switched off in the infotainment system. Keyless start also drains the fob battery; we have a Fabia with this feature and only get about 12 months out of a fob battery. My MK7 got through 1 battery in 7 years, so we‘re both having similar experiences.

Not a mk8 Golf, but my Polo GTI+ has keyless entry / keyless start. I’m not able to disable keyless permanently via the car ‘Settings’ menu on my car (I would if I could) but I am able to temporarily disable it each time I lock the car, and that’s what I do so the key fob doesn’t communicate with the car. I’ve owned the car 16 months from new and the key fob batteries are holding up OK. I keep a spare fob battery in the car and carry another in my wallet as they’re known to fail without warning - if that does happen then hopefully I’m prepared! None of the previous four VW’s I owned had keyless and I never had to change a key fob battery with any of those cars - each of which was owned for four or more years.

Keyless is something I’d happily do without. It was a standard feature on my car but if it wasn’t, I’d never have paid extra for it. I like to think I’m more than capable of pressing a button on the key fob to unlock / lock the car and use the key to start the car.

SimonGC

My attempt at trying to get the car upgraded from 1803 to 1890 software has been a disaster, the only fault on the car prior to going in was the MPH/KPH random ACC fault otherwise it was fine. The car was booked in on recall VW number 9088-1.

I was told by (Peter Cooper, Shirley) this recall had just been released but they could not confirm the TPI or software number, even though I gave it to them. They had logged the MPH/PH ACC errors on previous visits. It came back, still on 1803, but missing completely ACC, Travel Assist, Dynamic sign, Driver Profile and auto dip on main beam amongst others. These functions were completely deleted from the main menu.

It has been back in the workshop since Friday, they have tried to delete the update with no success and are currently waiting for VW technical to come up with a solution. How I regret ever taking it in! I still haven't had an answer what the VW 9088-1 recall was for or what it was supposed to achieve, does anyone have any information on this?

LMWT

Passed Driver's Ed
Just driven for 20 minutes car is still saying loading settings. Any idea what to do.
Hi Donald,

You could try this - hold down the on/off button on the infotainment unit until it reboots, this clears some messages I have had in the past, have a go anyway.