GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Stealth

Does anyone knows when and how maps are updated? I've downloaded this huge tar from VW ID and put it onto flash drive. After driving with it for two days my Navigation Update version got bumped to 22.6. Do I need to purchase We Connect Plus to go past that?
SCR-20230518-likr.png

TwoSheds

Does anyone knows when and how maps are updated? I've downloaded this huge tar from VW ID and put it onto flash drive. After driving with it for two days my Navigation Update version got bumped to 22.6. Do I need to purchase We Connect Plus to go past that?
View attachment 281139
The maps are continuously updated automatically if you have a 'We Connect Plus' contract.
My contract is still in being and it's currently showing 23.3 edition maps.
Otherwise there was a map update issued / available in November & May of each year to download yourself.
That's what I used to do before We Connect.

Ayad

It's actually very simple. Read the message/instructions below the video the "Sam A" video here -

From the video:

"Get file from this website: https://mibsolution.one/#/1/9/MOI3
Username and password are both: guest
File name is: MOI3_EU_VW_R9410L(1941)_3G0919360TG
Download and extract .7z then put onto memory stick but make sure files within are the first thing on memory stick.
They must not be in the folder name MOI3_EU_VW_R9410L(1941)_3G0919360TG
Make sure memory stick is FAT32 formatted and at least 16GB big.
Plug into car with infotainment on and car battery plugged into charger.
Then hold square home button on infotainment then click top option.
Then click start software update on the red and black screen and select usb port 1 or 2 whichever usb is in then click start at bottom and leave it to run through the upgrade progress. Do not turn off car or unplug from battery charger until complete. Mine took 20 minutes"

I had a bit of trouble with USB sticks I already had that weren't recognised by the car. So I bit the bullet and bought a £10 USB-C stick from Amazon and formatted it to FAT32. Copied the files so they appeared like the attached picture.

• I inserted the USB stick into one of the slots by the phone charger.
  • Turned on the ignition
  • Disconnected my phone from CarPlay
  • Pressed and held the square function button (on right hand of screen) until it came up with the "Software Update" menu.
  • Clicked on "Software update which then starts the "console" screen.
  • Clicked on "update"
  • It then asks you to choose which USB slot(where the USB stick is inserted)....it should be the only one of "USB1" or "USB2" which will be highlighted/available. (If none are available you need to reformat the USB and start again, as I had to do when using the old USB sticks).
  • Choose the slot where the USB stick is inserted and then it will offer some options. Choose "update"

I left the car with the keys in it (blocked in on my drive). 25 mins later and it was done.

I was on 1896. I tried the 1899 first but couldn't get the USBs recognised. So I tried the 1941 which worked. Haven't really noticed any changes yet but have really driven the car.

Mine goes back to the dealer in a week to have a new steering wheel fitted, which took 6 weeks to arrive from when ordered. I also hope they can find another dealer nearby who has the IQ Light calibration equipment as I get the "Dynamic Cornering Light" error every time I start the car.

Fingers crossed my "bongs" will be gone in a week!

Happy to help if anyone is struggling but it is pretty simple.....If I can do it anyone can.
Everything went ok, btw i couldn't format my usb with Fat32 because it's 128gb so i tried with Exfat and it's worked.

Thank you very much

Attachments

• 20230517_223501.jpg
    20230517_223501.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 268
  • 20230517_222334.jpg
    20230517_222334.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 262

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
On the bottom right of the System Information Screen there is ‘Show all updates’. When I tap it, nothing happens. I wait for several minutes - nothing! History of updates both OTA and via the dealer would be interesting.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
At least there's the key fob, if you are within distance. Not sure I'd want to open the windows if I wasn't within seeing distance of the car.
I mostly care about closing the windows. If you somehow forget to close the windows or solar roof and you are not within key reach, it would be nice if you would be able to close everything from far away.

Promptly

My last car was a Volvo (XC40, never again, but that's another story...).
Its app could open/close windows, start the AC/heater, and start stop the engine.
But unfortunately the rest of the car was c*ap. Consider yourself lucky you have a Golf; I do 😃.

UPL02

I mostly care about closing the windows. If you somehow forget to close the windows or solar roof and you are not within key reach, it would be nice if you would be able to close everything from far away.
I asked about that to the We Connect email support after buying the car... but they only replied with a "standard message".

Charger21

As stated in another thread I've ordered a mk8 for delivery hopefully November. Am I right in understanding that the radio does not show all station icons? Was like that on the Mk 7 I had. How retro. You'd think in this day and age they'd get something as simple as that sorted. I currently have an A Class Mercedes and can honestly say the MBUX is fantastic. Feel I'm really going to miss that compared to what seems like a dated system on the Golf but I can't justify the cost of another Merc compared to the Golf with the equipment I'm looking for

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
As stated in another thread I've ordered a mk8 for delivery hopefully November. Am I right in understanding that the radio does not show all station icons?
Correct - my understanding is you’re only able to use the pre-installed radio station icons; you’re not able to customise and add additional ones for your preferred radio stations, unless anyone has recently found a way to do that……🤔

My Polo GTI+’s infotainment unit is the MIB2.5 (I believe the Golf’s is MIB3) and I am able to add my preferred radio station icons. That’s progress for you; as you’ve said, how retro 🤷‍♂️.

Promptly

As stated in another thread I've ordered a mk8 for delivery hopefully November. Am I right in understanding that the radio does not show all station icons? Was like that on the Mk 7 I had. How retro. You'd think in this day and age they'd get something as simple as that sorted. I currently have an A Class Mercedes and can honestly say the MBUX is fantastic. Feel I'm really going to miss that compared to what seems like a dated system on the Golf but I can't justify the cost of another Merc compared to the Golf with the equipment I'm looking for
My Golf shows all my radio icons. I listen to Radio 2.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My Golf shows all my radio icons. I listen to Radio 2.
I’m assuming Radio 2 is one of the pre-installed radio icons, so was already there.

I listen mainly to various regional DAB radio stations and needed to install the radio station icons for my preferences on the earlier (than the Golf’s) MIB2.5 infotainment unit in my car.

Promptly

I’m assuming Radio 2 is one of the pre-installed radio icons, so was already there.

I listen mainly to various regional DAB radio stations and needed to install the radio station icons for my preferences on the earlier (than the Golf’s) MIB2.5 infotainment unit in my car.
Yes, I expect it is. Sorry, I was attempting humour. It fell a little flat.
I only listen the the one station, perhaps sometimes BBC 6 Radio.
There is an option for icons, I seem to remember, when I was setting my car up. But as my list of favourites consists of the single station I didn't investigate.

gjm

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct - my understanding is you’re only able to use the pre-installed radio station icons; you’re not able to customise and add additional ones for your preferred radio stations, unless anyone has recently found a way to do that……🤔

My Polo GTI+’s infotainment unit is the MIB2.5 (I believe the Golf’s is MIB3) and I am able to add my preferred radio station icons. That’s progress for you; as you’ve said, how retro 🤷‍♂️.
VW are again offering the option to update the Radio Statio Database, which includes Logos;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-services/my-car/how-to-guides/sat-nav.html

I don’t know if the connected Golf updates this automatically, but I’ve updated a T-Roc and my outgoing Passat from the link above, and I got a few new logos, although not all.

Follow the VW link above and choose “Radio station logos and how to install them” it links to a German site called Phonostar (click the UK flag, top right, to get English text), put in the model number of the radio and it offers you the files you can download and put onto a USB Stick. And then just a matter of plugging it into the car and it will start updating. There are full instructions offered from Phonostar alongside the update files.
It does show the version number of the files before download, so that can be checked on the car to ensure you are not wasting time re-installing the same files.