GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

I once again have the dreaded "grey globe" with my 2020 Mk8 Style. Software version is 1899 and i had the OUG1 update a little more than a week ago.
Actually it stopped working after a heavy rain last week so maybe it's related but I'm not sure. I guess the OUG1 update has nothing to do with it.
Driving data is not updated on the We Connect site.

Earlier I had this problem for almost a year and it was fixed last summer with an in-service update. Until now it was working well.

I also have frequent infotainment system reboots.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Hi so I just wanted to report that a new recall 91DR for the Golf 8 My20/21 which didn't get the 91CU recall (Infotainment 189x) because of the Gateway index B incompatibility has been released and VW will replace the Gateway control unit with a newer version and will update the various control units and infotainment to 1899.

C0TT1S

Passed Driver's Ed
I once again have the dreaded "grey globe" with my 2020 Mk8 Style. Software version is 1899 and i had the OUG1 update a little more than a week ago.
Actually it stopped working after a heavy rain last week so maybe it's related but I'm not sure. I guess the OUG1 update has nothing to do with it.
Driving data is not updated on the We Connect site.

Earlier I had this problem for almost a year and it was fixed last summer with an in-service update. Until now it was working well.

I also have frequent infotainment system reboots.
I’ve just been hit by the grey globe, mines been grey for 6 days now. I’ve got a 3 month old car with the latest software and hardware. Seems no one is safe out there 😂

I’ve just been hit by the grey globe, mines been grey for 6 days now. I’ve got a 3 month old car with the latest software and hardware. Seems no one is safe out there 😂
I have it for 7 days now. Connected car to wifi tonight (globe still grey) and now I have up to date driving data on We Connect but the vehicle status was last updated 7 days ago. Calling service next week if it's not resolved.

ianmcuk

Hi so I just wanted to report that a new recall 91DR for the Golf 8 My20/21 which didn't get the 91CU recall (Infotainment 189x) because of the Gateway index B incompatibility has been released and VW will replace the Gateway control unit with a newer version and will update the various control units and infotainment to 1899.
Interesting. Is this also likely to help with My20 cars that already have 91CU but now have infotainment restarting almost daily? Concerned as the car's warranty expires in October, and problems are getting worse - not better.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
No this is similar to the 91CU recall but for those Golf 8 with 166x software and Gateway with index B.
It seems that the newer 1941 software could be the fix for the infotainment reboots. Last I heard it should be available in the next week to two...
Would that also be an OTA update?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Back in November the Software was 1896 and the Navigation database was 22.9
Now it is 1899 and 23.3
All done OTA since the car hasn’t been back to the dealer since it’s service back in October.

Looking back in my photo library I see that in March 2022 the Device part number was 5H0035816B
Now the B has been replaced with a K. I guess that change was made by the dealer?

Last edited:

CH47AV8R

Back in November the Software was 1896 and the Navigation database was 22.9
Now it is 1899 and 23.3
All done OTA since the car hasn’t been back to the dealer since it’s service back in October.

Looking back in my photo library I see that in March 2022 the Device part number was 5H0035816B
Now the B has been replaced with a K. I guess that change was made by the dealer?
Not necessarily, I think the FW changes the part number as well.

s3bax

Go Kart Newbie
I'm wondering why they did not add an automatic day/night mode switch. It's something that I don't think it's hard to add and would be nice to have.