GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Had log-in issues but think it's vers 1803. Quoting self "I agree with the OP & don't intend to do OTA updates at all, despite encouragement from the dealer. Seen too many posts & videos on Youtube of people who attempted it & some absolute nitemare scernarios ensued: screen permanently froze in mid-update, just went black & stayed black, updating forever, nothing worked afterwards, items randomly changing & turning themselves on & off, etc, etc. Prob like any electronic device (PCs, phones, etc) IMO when they work fine they are great, when they don't, well the dustbin is too good for them. I get random functions apparently not available (hill start, front assist, etc) 99.99% of the time the messages soon disappear but they work work anyway, but always when the car has been stopped & re-started, mechanically the car is fine. If others have OTA updates to work that's great, but I'm leaving any updates to the dealer at servces"....
Fortunately, my car is too old for OTA software updates, as I would also have reservations about loading updates that may do more harm than good in some cases. However, it’s worth being aware that there may be insurance cover implications if you’re intending to not do OTA software updates.

My car insurance policy (I’m insured with LV) has a specific clause in it relating to OTA updates and as more car manufacturers move to OTA software updates, I dare say a similar clause in other insurance companies policies may become the norm. The clause in my policy states;

The policy cover excludes;

‘Loss or damage caused by failure to install and/or accept OTA updates recommended by your car's manufacturer.’

So it would be worth checking your policy to see if you have a similar clause before making the decision not to accept future OTA updates. Not complying with the policy terms might invalidate the policy in the event of a claim, and insurance companies don’t need much of an excuse to not pay out! 🤔

Reactions: I-A

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Hear what your saying, car is on PCP ends sometime this year mostly like it but prob won't be keeping so not over-fussed, may give it a try just before hand over, we'll see....

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
The policy cover excludes;

‘Loss or damage caused by failure to install and/or accept OTA updates recommended by your car's manufacturer.’
You raise an interesting point, but I don't think there would be any risk associated with not installing or accepting an OTA update that addresses the entertainment system in the vehicle. I think an insurance company would have a very difficult time making a case for that.

However, if an OTA update that resolved a known fault in the braking system came out, and you didn't accept that, and you had an accident because your brakes did not perform properly... then you might be in trouble.

Michael

clubsport452021

Go drive it....if you aren't having any issues....enjoy it.

Hello Folks:

I'm new here in the forum community. I just picked up a 2024 Golf GTI 'Performance' trim (the top Canadian spec) yesterday, this to replace my 2015 Golf Highline. I've read the last 10 pages or so of this infotainment software discussion, and would like to ask for some assistance - the 'wisdom of the group' to help me figure out if I have the most recent infotainment system software & the most up to date maps in my vehicle.

I don't know when my vehicle was built, but I suspect it was probably built quite recently (Sept-Oct-Nov 2023) because it only arrived at the dealer two weeks ago.

Below is a picture showing the status of my infotainment system. It is the fancier of the two systems available in North America, the radio without the volume knob.

My questions are:
  1. Do I have the most recent infotainment software for the NAR (North American Region)?
  2. Do I have the most recent set of navigation maps (the navigation database) for the NAR?
I visited the VW North America map update website and found very little useful information there. I was able to download what is supposedly the most recent navigation database update, but it has the rather cryptic file name "NAR_6PR053_FCT3WS-201H0_Offline_Update" and there is no information provided anywhere to explain the date of this update. Looking inside the 18.7 GB package, I see that almost all the files are dated 2021, so the last thing I want to do is install this and find that I have reverted my nav database from 22.6 (implying June 2022) to something from 2021.

Concerning the infotainment software, I have version 1939, I have seen mention here in this discussion of a 1941 version. Is that 1941 version applicable to NAR vehicles? Is it a significant release, or is the difference between 1939 and 1941 not worth worrying about?

Lastly, when I look at the picture that fellow member WhyAiden posted as an attachment to his post #1389 in this discussion, I see that he has a navigation database dated 23.11, implying November 2023. Is this a NAR release, or has WhyAiden posted a picture of a European vehicle?

Any advice that more experienced forum members could give me would be appreciated.

2024 Golf GTI 'Performance', Canadian specification
View attachment 297194

jimbob78

hi folks, joined the group as i have now booked my car in for update after the dreaded profile settings black screen has been on my car for 3 days, tonight i just took it in my own hands and got it cleared, maybe got lucky , but switched on engine , waited for screen to start spinny spin ring, turned engine off, switched on screen and took keys away from car, waited ten minutes in the house, went back out to car and screen had reapeared , the radio and media working again at last, needless to say i will still take it for its update at vw belfast in a week, just heard that the CEO Of VW has come out and is embarassed about the software issues the new breed of VW's are having

Reactions: I-A

I-A

hi folks, joined the group as i have now booked my car in for update after the dreaded profile settings black screen has been on my car for 3 days, tonight i just took it in my own hands and got it cleared, maybe got lucky , but switched on engine , waited for screen to start spinny spin ring, turned engine off, switched on screen and took keys away from car, waited ten minutes in the house, went back out to car and screen had reapeared , the radio and media working again at last, needless to say i will still take it for its update at vw belfast in a week, just heard that the CEO Of VW has come out and is embarassed about the software issues the new breed of VW's are having
Is there a news article regarding the CEOs embarrassment?

Couldn't find one.

Thank you

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Have you tried rebooting the Infotainment system - hold down the on/off button for about 15 seconds?

Arman99

While updating on the infotainment system, i turned the engine off and left the car which meant the update didnt complete properly. Later when i went back to my car and turned the engine on, the infotaintment system stopped working. I tried pressing the power button for 10 seconds, it just says ”welcome to Volkswagen” then goes blank screen again.

my parking sensors also doesn’t work and it says stuff like roadside sign unavailable. What do i do? I cannot even listen to the radio or change my climate control.

i have also tried taking the negative wire off from the battery for 10minutes then i inserted it back on. Infotainment system still doesn’t work. My car is a vw golf mk8 2021 e-tsi

tos

Go Kart Champion
OTA update or You tried update yourself by downloading something to memorystick?

If it was OTA update, VW trying fix it TPI: 2070054 /* or TPI 2070058/*

Last edited:

mageor

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey people! Anyone knows anything about the 1941 --> 1969 update? I saw a video on Youtube. No changelog....Is it gonna be OTA or workshop business only?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hey people! Anyone knows anything about the 1941 --> 1969 update? I saw a video on Youtube. No changelog....Is it gonna be OTA or workshop business only?
1969 has been available on Seats and Cupras for a couple of months. Some forum members over on Seatcupra.net forum have had it applied to their cars.

Sorry, don’t know what the update does (i.e. if it fixes existing issues or adds new features / enhancements - or both), or if the installation is OTA or not.