GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
The last time VW dealer advised to do OTA update was told (straight face, so presumably with all seriousness), pretty much word for word, ready: "you don't need to be driving the car, just turn on the ignition, don't start it but leave it outside, not in your garage so as to recieve a clear signal, for half an hour or so, ideally an hour to be certain, and it will automatically perform the update by itself". I'm sure it will, only, it's unlikely to still be there when I return or if it is I'd likely wish it wasn't....

rstultie

Hi all,

I'm owning a 2021 MK8 e-Hybrid since October last year. After 4 months of trouble with the infotainment system I'm still having weekly resets or loss of settings in the infotainment unit. Late December my unit was replaced after an OTA update completely crashed the system and I could not go past "Welcome to Volkswagen" anymore (same as mentioned earlier on this forum). This replacement followed an earlier steering wheel replacement for the Travelassist errors and multiple SW updates to repair broken functionality. I received my car on version 1803.
Currently I'm on H58 and SW 1941.

It's a complete mess and the dealer does not know what to do anymore, except bring the car in again to get all the data from it and send that to PON (I'm in the Netherlands)
I'm seriously considering returning the car to the dealer

Are there others who still have regular resets or loose settings with latest version of HW and SW 1941? Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
...It's a complete mess and the dealer does not know what to do anymore, except bring the car in again to get all the data from it and send that to PON (I'm in the Netherlands)
What you need to do in this situation is work together with your dealer to assist the dealer in applying pressure to the importer (VW of Netherlands). In this case, it's not the dealer you are up against, it's VW of Netherlands. So document your whole history as carefully as you can and share that documentation with your dealer to assist them in pressing the matter with VW. Hopefully VW will be able to solve the problem without needing to take the car back.

The key concept to keep in mind here is that in this particular situation, the dealer is your ally. So do your best to work together with them to assist them in pressing the matter with the VW importer.

Arman99

i have golf mk8 e-tsi.

1 question though; my car doesnt have the mode button near the hazard button. so how do i select eco/comfort mode?

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
i have golf mk8 e-tsi... My car doesnt have the mode button near the hazard button. so how do i select eco/comfort mode?
It is possible that your model of Golf does not offer the possibility of selecting different driving modes (eco, comfort, race, individual, etc.). Have a look in your owner manual and see what it says.

Michael

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
Hi all,

I'm owning a 2021 MK8 e-Hybrid since October last year. After 4 months of trouble with the infotainment system I'm still having weekly resets or loss of settings in the infotainment unit. Late December my unit was replaced after an OTA update completely crashed the system and I could not go past "Welcome to Volkswagen" anymore (same as mentioned earlier on this forum). This replacement followed an earlier steering wheel replacement for the Travelassist errors and multiple SW updates to repair broken functionality. I received my car on version 1803.
Currently I'm on H58 and SW 1941.

It's a complete mess and the dealer does not know what to do anymore, except bring the car in again to get all the data from it and send that to PON (I'm in the Netherlands)

Are there others who still have regular resets or loose settings with latest version of HW and SW 1941? Any help appreciated.
I have my Mk8 (Style) diesel exactly three years this month, the only period I didn't have software / failing parts issues was following the 1896 software update - about six months, further software updates appear to have caused more problems. Current position - waiting two months for steering wheel and front parking sensor replacements :mad:

Chafe10

I don 't think there is a link.... just this.....
After some digging I have found the update. Only tested this updating from 1941
  1. Navigate to https://2.136.218.196/dav/Service42-MMI/Trade-Retail/Brand-V/ you will get an invalid certificate error, but that is to be expected as you are accessing an IP address and it also uses an internal certificate. I think this server is a distribution point for updates
  2. Download 3G8919360P.zip and also download 3G8919360P.z01 to 3G8919360P.z103
  3. After downloading the 104 files unzip 3G8919360P.zip (I recommend using 7-zip if you have troubles with the inbult windows tool)
  4. Copy the extracted Data and Meta folders to a usb drive formatted in FAT32 or exFAT and make sure you safely remove the usb stick using the Safely Remove Hardware tray icon (I used a sandisk extreme pro usb stick with a OTG adapter to reduce transfer times and speed up the update)
  5. Go to your car and unplug any USB devices and then plug in the USB stick you prepared in step 4
  6. Switch off all unnecessary power consumption (Lights, Heated mirrors, AC, etc.) or setup a trickle charger to make sure your car does not turn off during the update.
  7. Switch on the ignition
  8. Press and hold the square button on the touchscreen
  9. A new menu will appear, tap "Software Update / Version" and select start update
  10. The infotainment system will reboot into Engineering mode
  11. In Engineering mode select update (top option)
  12. Select the USB port that you plugged your USB stick into (it will be lighter)
  13. If everything goes well a screen showing what the computer will update and you will an option to start the update (if not go back to
  14. Press start update
  15. Press start update again
  16. The update will start and go through each step, the unit will reboot several times and sometimes look like it has frozen.
  17. Eventually the update will complete and go to a screen telling you what it has updated. Select Resume.
  18. The unit will reboot into normal mode and will tell you that the software update was successful and 1969 will show on the software info screen.
I haven't noticed many changes with this. The thing that beeps at me and tells me to drive in the center of the lane when I am driving in the center of the lane hasn't really popped up yet.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: tos

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
@Chafe10 :

What market (country) was your car originally built for? The reason I ask is because my Canadian car, which is running software 1939 (the most recent release for the North American market) has never beeped at me when I drift out of the center of the lane with adaptive cruise control & lane guidance operating. All I get is a vibration in the steering wheel when the car corrects course on its own back into the middle of the lane.

I'm now wondering if there are differences in how adaptive cruise control & lane guidance are implemented in different countries.

Michael

Chafe10

The car was built for the UK market. The strange thing is, just like you, if I deliberately drift into a different lane I only get the car trying to pull me back into the lane, no beeps or warnings.

It normally happens when the road splits into two lanes or on certain corners. It normally beeps telling me to drive in the center of the road followed by it screeching to put my hands on the steering wheel, then stops after 1 second. People have compared it to a race countdown lol as it normally beeps 3 times followed by the screech.

samgti16v

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just done the 1969 update using the file link by @Chafe10 . It all worked seamlessly, however downloading each file individually was a pain. As soon as the update had finished and booted up I got a notification telling me there was an OTA update to do which I have just done. It listed things like shop, manual and overall system bug fixes and improvements. The system seems snappy and is working perfectly.

This was done on a 2021 GTI

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_4878.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4880.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: tos

djmartzian

however downloading each file individually was a pain.

Code:
for i in {01..103}; do  wget -r -l1 --no-parent -A "3G8919360P.z$i" --no-check-certificate  https://2.136.218.196/dav/Service42-MMI/Trade-Retail/Brand-V/; done && wget -r -l1 --no-parent --no-check-certificate  https://2.136.218.196/dav/Service42-MMI/Trade-Retail/Brand-V/3G8919360P.zip

;)

PanEuropean

Ready to race!
....it screeching to put my hands on the steering wheel...
Ah, that is why I have never heard beeps - I always keep my hands on the steering wheel. I don't have full confidence in the ability of the system to competently manage the path that the car will follow.

Michael

Chafe10

Ah, that is why I have never heard beeps - I always keep my hands on the steering wheel. I don't have full confidence in the ability of the system to competently manage the path that the car will follow.

Michael
I have my hands on the steering wheel at all times. The car just thinks I don't for some reason. I think the 1969 update fixed it though as it hasn't done it yet in the usual spots.